Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Camby does have something Tiago does not: a jump shot. It may be strange looking and not ultra dependable, but he has the ability to shoot that and that might be enough for Pop to like Camby/Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' interest in Camby never dies. Like I said, he's a player who history says the Spurs would have some interest in. Apparently there is still interest.

However, I'd think he'd be a fallback plan in case the Spurs can't get both Diaw and Lorbek. Another option would be to sign him as a fifth big if the Spurs move both Blair and Bonner.

The interest isn't surprising but let's hope it's not part of their Plan A.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Interesting. The Spurs have shown interest in Ersan as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs FO due diligence as always. Consider all options.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hes realistically better then anything we could get except maybe magic randolph
    but hes still pretty slow
    it looks like in the new nba you need a 4/5 who can switch on pick and rolls and youre a top 5 defense
    chicago- noah
    miami- lebron
    orlando- dwight
    new york- chandler
    boston- KG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hes realistically better then anything we could get except maybe magic randolph
    but hes still pretty slow
    it looks like in the new nba you need a 4/5 who can switch on pick and rolls and youre a top 5 defense
    chicago- noah
    miami- lebron
    orlando- dwight
    new york- chandler
    boston- KG
    Playing in the offensively challenged East helps, too.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres also no denying those players are great defenders

noah might be the best pick and roll defender in the league
    then KG
    dwights the best overall defender in the league
    and tyson was able to make a team that played 40 year old j kidd, irk, and jason terry a championship caliber defensive team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The unrestricted free-agent center, Marcus Camby, has narrowed his choices to the New York Knicks, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics, and the Dallas Mavericks, a league source told CSNNW.com. CSNNW.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely the Spurs are looking at Camby as some sort of fallback option. However, it's also possible that the Spurs are shopping Splitter due to the fact that his price tag is going to be so astronomical next offseason. If you move Splitter, a player like Camby is a must.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely the Spurs are looking at Camby as some sort of fallback option. However, it's also possible that the Spurs are shopping Splitter due to the fact that his price tag is going to be so astronomical next offseason. If you move Splitter, a player like Camby is a must.
    Engage: You think it's possible the plan is to sign Camby so Tiago can be used in a trade with the Bucks for Ersan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless Spurs trade away Splitter (they might be scared about what he will get next summer as a FA when you see what Asik go), Camby doesn't really make sense for them. I don't see Pop being fine with playing on a regular basis Camby alongside Duncan or Splitter.
    I could see this being the plan. But unless it's him and a package of players for Smith, I don't see another viable scenario. Unless it's him and Bonner to a team with cap space for a decent, young, inexpensive role playing big and a future 1st.

Either way, this team needs more rim protection. And if they can't get it in the form of an athletic, starting power forward, such as Smith, then they need to explore alternative avenues. Between Duncan and Camby, they'd have elite defensive rebounding and near elite shot blocking in the game at all times. And they could occasionally play together.

I'd be shocked if Camby signed with the Spurs, though. I've never heard of Camby being close to Duncan and unless they offered him a starting job and the full MLE (both of which are highly unlikely), I seriously doubt he signs with them. But he does live in Houston, so it's worth a shot. In the end, I think he probably ends up with the Rockets, Mavs or Heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S&T Splitter for Ilyasova
    Sign Camby for a good sum

This solves the Bucks' lack of centers, gets the Spurs a stretch 4 who ISN'T afraid to rebound and bang in the post (yet has consistency issues), and a reliable rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are forgetting Camby's injury history. Dude has missed a chunk of games in each of the past few seasons. He would've made better sense about 4-5 years ago, but not now.

I'm glad to hear that the Spurs FO is seeking the services of a shotblocker and rebounder. However, I just don't see Camby as a dependable option due to his age and injury history. I was hoping they would've looked at a young free agent options like Jordan Hill.

I'm still surprised the Spurs didn't consider a couple of young shotblocking and rebounding options in the recent draft, like Gonzaga's Robert Sacre or Georgetown's Henry Sims, who were both avaiable @ pick #59 in the draft. Even though they're rooks, we all know that skills like rebounding and shotblocking typically translate well from college to the pros.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 07-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's possible they don't think said big men are that good...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't be any worse that what they have at those positions now.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They went BPA at 59. Can't fault them for that. Denmon has a better shot at making the team than either of those guys.

Edit: Just looked those guys up. lol at taking either of those guys over Denmon. Both suck at rebounding and look like major projects. Either would be a wasted pick that would be cut before preseason was out.
    Last edited by benefactor; 07-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At age 38, surely Camby is a fallback only?

As for signing Ersan, I really like him, but it leaves us without a true C to back up Tim. Surely some of Manu's $14mil will be used to keep Splitter (assuming he continues to improve next season)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES! Let's sign a 40 year old Center to save our season next year!

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless Spurs trade away Splitter (they might be scared about what he will get next summer as a FA when you see what Asik go), Camby doesn't really make sense for them. I don't see Pop being fine with playing on a regular basis Camby alongside Duncan or Splitter.
    It seema like now theyre just trying to sign him for the sake of signing him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They went BPA at 59. Can't fault them for that. Denmon has a better shot at making the team than either of those guys.

Edit: Just looked those guys up. lol at taking either of those guys over Denmon. Both suck at rebounding and look like major projects. Either would be a wasted pick that would be cut before preseason was out.
    It's the 59th pick, you act as if Denmon has already made the damn team. Logic would tell R.C anyways to go with an athletic shot blocking 4 instead of another short combo guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubtful he ends up in a Spurs uni with all those other suitors, but I like that there's collective interest...tells me he thinks the Spurs are still contenders and that Spurs are still in "win-now" mode.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the 59th pick, you act as if Denmon has already made the damn team. Logic would tell R.C anyways to go with an athletic shot blocking 4 instead of another short combo guard.
    You're right...it is the 59th pick...and the Spurs took the BPA. I've watched Denmon play and I think he's got a much better shot than a couple of seven foot stiffs that can't rebound and can't shoot.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest worry with Camby is that of every Houston rotation player last year, their worst defensive rating was when he was on the floor.

There's other factors that go into that obviously, but that's tough to just wipe away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should keep Splitter tbh. Diaw was a good addition, Lorbek should be good to. But Bonner makes no sense at $4M per season. Blair is a good value as 5th big for certain matchups. Hopefully he gets in shape for the contract year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Begs the question: "What is a fair contract for Tiago." 22M/3yrs isn't unreasonable to me.

The deal to watch which may dictate how much Taigo if offered next summer, is the deal for Pekovic. If he follows up his great year in Minni with another solid one in 2012-13, who knows...

Thread Information