Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe Rockets want to get Splitter and offer him $8m per year?

They probably will next summer. All the more reason to see him as a trade asset this summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They probably will next summer. All the more reason to see him as a trade asset this summer.
    When should Blazers decide to match Asik or not?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The power forward I'd target is Jones. He's got some Diaw in him, as far as being a ball handling four, only he's far more athletic. They'd probably try to sell the Spurs on Patterson/Morris, though. But the Spurs would be in the drivers seat. If the Bulls match on Asik, they've got to do something to get a center and Splitter would be a nice piece to send back in a potential Howard trade as well. So I'm not sure how much of a fight they'd put up over surrendering Jones, when they've got about 24 power forwards, three of which are of the tweener variety, particularly when I believe White is the one they're highest on. Can't see them giving up the Raptors pick, especially if they relent on Jones. But whatever the exact pieces are (it's not difficult to envision various variations of this trade), the Spurs goal should be for the end game to be a Duncan, Diaw, Camby, Jones, big rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like the little I saw form Patterson. He should be a really good backup PF.

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Jeremy Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.
    Last edited by Bruno; 07-06-2012 at 07:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am a big fan of Lamb both the player and the meat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like the little I saw form Patterson. He should be a really good backup PF.

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Doron Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.
    You mean Jeremy Lamb right? Doron was drafted from the Bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean Jeremy Lamb right? Doron was drafted from the Bucks.
    Yep, wrong lamb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the Spurs having as much leverage as some others here. The notion of getting this done after Chicago matches Asik and Houston becomes desperate is problematic because of the timing. It assumes that Camby will be willing to wait three days and risk losing his chance to go to Miami.

If this is going to get done, I'd say all the parties have to come to an agreement before the moratorium ends and before Chicago's decision is known.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patterson + Campy for Splitter? no
    Patterson + Campy + future first round pick for Splitter? yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The power forward I'd target is Jones. He's got some Diaw in him, as far as being a ball handling four, only he's far more athletic. They'd probably try to sell the Spurs on Patterson/Morris, though. But the Spurs would be in the drivers seat. If the Bulls match on Asik, they've got to do something to get a center and Splitter would be a nice piece to send back in a potential Howard trade as well. So I'm not sure how much of a fight they'd put up over surrendering Jones, when they've got about 24 power forwards, three of which are of the tweener variety, particularly when I believe White is the one they're highest on. Can't see them giving up the Raptors pick, especially if they relent on Jones. But whatever the exact pieces are (it's not difficult to envision various variations of this trade), the Spurs goal should be for the end game to be a Duncan, Diaw, Camby, Jones, big rotation.

Personally, I'd rather take Jones than a future pick anyway. If they can rebuild his shot -- something we all know that the Spurs specialize in -- he could be a legit asset on both ends of the court, and he's exactly the kind of athlete everyone's been wishing for at the 4.

Besides, if we're doing our best to field a team that will take us as deep as we can go into the playoffs while Tim is still here, a talented rookie makes a lot more sense than a future pick.

And really, the Rockets have 3 different rookies, and 2 of them are power forwards. I can't imagine they really want to develop all of them themselves anyway. I'd be surprised if Jones wasn't available for the right price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Doron Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.
    I like Patterson too, but he he had a PER of 11.5 last season and a rebound rate of 11.2 (both are pathetic numbers for a power forward). I think it was probably a down season and he'll rebound and get back around his rookie season levels (16.7 and 13.1), but still. What's the absolute upside here, a slightly better Landry? Not good enough as the possible best long term piece in a Splitter trade.

Lamb is interesting, but I'd imagine he'd be off limits in this scenario. Martin, they've supposedly decided to retain for now, but he's clearly going to be gone by, if not the trade deadline, then next off season at the latest. And with them rescinding their qualifying offer to Lee and making him unrestricted, if they gave up Lamb, they'd have nothing in place going forward at shooting guard.

Mel, word is, if they miss on Allen, he's their second target. And it's not like there's a bevy of quality low cost options at center that they'll have to move on to quickly or risk missing out. They'll probably turn to the corpse of O'Neal, who's probably on standby. On Camby's end, he'd probably be willing to wait if it means more money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel, word is, if they miss on Allen, he's their second target. And it's not like there's a bevy of quality low cost options at center that they'll have to move on to quickly or risk missing out. They'll probably turn to the corpse of O'Neal, who's probably on standby. On Camby's end, he'd probably be willing to wait if it means more money.
    Understood. He's also got talks scheduled with the Knicks and Mavs. Still believe this needs to get done before July 10th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be more then willing to take a risk on Patterson in a Splitter trade ( especially if that trade also includes Bonner). Like many have pointed out, no way the Spurs give Splitter the 6-8 mil he will be offered next off-season.

A Splitter +Bonner for Camby + Patterson would be a go IMO. Then use the MLE on Diaw or Lorbek.

Defensively it would be an upgrade instantly with those to acquisitions and Patteron is that PF who could play some good minutes next to Duncan. He has a pretty good jumper and all around offensive game compared to Splitter. Camby would slide into that Tiago role for 15-20 mpg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood. He's also got talks scheduled with the Knicks and Mavs. Still believe this needs to get done before July 10th.
    How likely do you think it is to get resolved before a Dwight Howard trade is settled?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thoughts about potential Splitter for Camby deal:

1. If the Rockets strike out this summer and otherwise don't land D-Ho, is there any doubt they'll throw a huge offer at Splitter? If Asik is worth $8 million, Morey throwing $10 million at Splitter wouldn't be out of the question.

2. I remember a couple summers ago when RC was interviewed at summer league, he was asked who impressed him the most. The first name out of RC's mouth? Patrick Patterson. Yeah, that was a while ago and he's never blossomed but his skillset would fit on the Spurs. Main reason why I'm not overly high on him is that his "controlled" years are almost over since he's entering his third season in the NBA.

3. One reasonably priced shooting guard I would advocate in place of Danny Green is Courtney Lee. I like his defense, he's more varied offensively and can fit a role.

4. An added bonus of getting players in a trade with the Rockets is the Spurs would still have the MLE to round out their roster. As it stands, it'd be pretty difficult to fill the holes with just the MLE and BAE.

5. We know the Rockets and Spurs can work together in a trade. (Scola Thread!) Dennis Lindsey and Morey worked together for a while.

6. The Spurs have tried to trade for Camby countless times over the years. The closest they got to landing him was that time they almost traded George Hill for him. (In retrospect, that would have been a pretty horrible trade considering Hill would eventually fetch Kawhi Leonard +)

7. It's weird how Camby's rebounding just keeps getting better somehow. He's 38 yet is rebounding better than he did in his prime.

8. Camby has lived in Houston since 2005. When he got traded to Houston, he talked about how much he loved being so close to home. S.A. being a short flight from Houston is probably a plus. Not to mention the Spurs can probably outbid everyone else by throwing ~$3.5M a year at him.

9. Can Duncan and Camby play together? Offensively, they probably can. His ugly jumper is ugly but teams have to at least pay attention to him. Plus Camby is an underrated passer. Defense is where it'd be a tough fit. Camby is too slow to defend pick-and-rolls. Duncan is also too slow in many matchups. Pairing those two together would result in great paint defense but it'd be difficult to defend any team that has speed or a good point guard.

10. It wouldn't be crazy to give Camby three years if Duncan also wants three years. Two years is obviously preferred but it wouldn't have to be a deal-breaker depending on what Duncan wants to do. Speaking of Duncan, if this is indeed the Spurs' plan, you can bet Duncan is a driving force behind it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How likely do you think it is to get resolved before a Dwight Howard trade is settled?
    I don't see Howard getting traded to Houston at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Howard getting traded to Houston at all.
    Doing a deal for Splitter presumably means Houston throwing in the towel and admitting defeat in trying to get Howard.

If Howard hasn't landed anywhere yet, is Morey likely to do that? I would think he might want to wait until he really has exhausted his options there -- however unlikely it is that he can get it done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doing a deal for Splitter presumably means Houston throwing in the towel and admitting defeat in trying to get Howard.

If Howard hasn't landed anywhere yet, is Morey likely to do that? I would think he might want to wait until he really has exhausted his options there -- however unlikely it is that he can get it done.
    Waiting means he gets nothing for Camby. Splitter only has one year left on his contract at 4M. Not much risk in doing that deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Morey sees the writing on the wall. No chance they can a.) swing a trade for Howard; and b.) get him to sign an extension. With Tiago he can get a very good starting center that will stay long-term. It makes too much sense not to happen, as long as Chicago matches Asik and Camby wants to come to SA.

Props to Spurstalk for doing RC's job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson
    Source says Houston would consider sign-and-trade with any team for Marcus Camby if Rockets like what they could get back. Miami Heat in mix

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said. Can't wait until the Asik decision. Other teams can do sign and trades as well. If Houston can get more than one team offering a trade, Houston will be the team with the leverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray Allen to the Heat.

That helps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ray Allen to the Heat.

That helps.
    Heat not dead in the Camby hunt but this makes it a lot less likely I'd imagine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing the Heat can realistically offer that would appeal to them would be Cole. Suffice it to say, I think they'd pick Splitter over Cole, though.

Technically, Camby is the one with the leverage. Yes, a sign-and-trade get's him more money, but ultimately, if he specifically wants to be with the Heat or Spurs or wherever, he can just sign outright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing the Heat can realistically offer that would appeal to them would be Cole. Suffice it to say, I think they'd pick Splitter over Cole, though.

Technically, Camby is the one with the leverage. Yes, a sign-and-trade get's him more money, but ultimately, if he specifically wants to be with the Heat or Spurs or wherever, he can just sign outright.
    He'd have to want to be with the Heat pretty badly to sign for the minimum when he can get a lot more elsewhere.

Thread Information