My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure if Bush should watch his back or if Norquist should watch his back...either way, this battle is more than about two ego-manics and taxes...

Jeb Bush’s remark that Ronald Reagan would be too moderate for today’s Republican Party earned an aggressive rebuke from the gatekeeper of the anti-tax orthodoxy that permeates the modern GOP.

“That’s foolish,” Grover Norquist, the architect of the bedrock never-raise-taxes pledge that nearly every Republican has signed, told TPM in an interview. “It’s stup—it’s bizarre.”

“There’s a guy who watched his father throw away his presidency on a 2:1 promise,” Norquist said of Bush. “And he thinks he’s sophisticated by saying that he’d take a 10:1 promise. He doesn’t understand — he’s just agreed to walk down the same alley his dad did with the same gang. And he thinks he’s smart. You walk down that alley, you don’t come out. You certainly don’t come out with 2:1 or 10:1.”

Bush told reporters at Bloomberg LP’s New York headquarters that “(b)ack to my dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time — they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support.” Reagan “would be criticized for doing the things that he did,” the former Florida governor said, blaming both sides for partisan gridlock.
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...es.php?ref=fpa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the tea party proves is that we need a system that allows a third party. The tea party is ideologically exclusive of the GOP and have a large amount of backing across America yet they are forced to coexist with old guard GOP.

The split in Texas is even more acrimonious.

Thread Information