Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just do not like dead weight on the roster. Timvp has already outlined where some of that dead weight is.

If Tim and Manu were still in their superstar primes, they could masterfully carry the team and it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, it's no longer that way now. As such, the Spurs supporting case MUST be better in order to offset the decline with their contributions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just do not like dead weight on the roster. Timvp has already outlined where some of that dead weight is.

If Tim and Manu were still in their superstar primes, they could masterfully carry the team and it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, it's no longer that way now. As such, the Spurs supporting case MUST be better in order to offset the decline with their contributions.
    I want to see them do that as well.

It is, however, easier said than done and may come at a price. Generally speaking, other teams are not interested in taking your least productive players and giving you better players in return. Unless, that is, you sweeten the deal with future draft picks or one of your productive players. There are very few, if any, teams in the NBA who have 12 productive players, all of whom step up in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to see them do that as well.

It is, however, easier said than done and may come at a price. Generally speaking, other teams are not interested in taking your least productive players and giving you better players in return. Unless, that is, you sweeten the deal with future draft picks or one of your productive players. There are very few, if any, teams in the NBA who have 12 productive players, all of whom step up in the playoffs.
    True. However, I've got two words for that dilemma - young and cheap.

Last season, Pop was forced to rely heavily on young players like Leonard, Green and Splitter. I say, add a couple more young, cheap players, give them some regular season burn and let's keep moving in that direction.

Easier said than done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that none of the reasons of why OKC was the better team gets addressed and that's not taking into account the Heat was much better than OKC.

It could be that Mills will defend the point better than Neal, Manu may finally have an injury free season, Green may hit his open 3's, Splitter may be a factor, Lorbek may do what Bonner never could, and so on, but OKC may improve even more.

I think the Spurs need an 8 man rotation of good players all capable of playing defense, the starters, an swing (sixth man), the third big and and the backup PG. The additional talent should be used in a trade to add an all-star bigman.

It would be great to run trough the regular season with 10 or more players, but that won't work in the playoffs.

Point Guards:
    Parker / Mills

Swings:
    Green / Kawhi / Manu / Jack / Neal (2 swings expandable in a trade)

Bigs:
    Duncan / Diaw / Splitter / Lorbek (2 expandable in a trade)
    + Bonner / Blair for RS duty, without that much value.

Of the bigs that are available, the best by far is Howard - he may want a change of scenario, then there is Gasol but the Spurs won't send TP to the Lakers, then Scola that doesn't play good defense - so he won't have more positive impact than Diaw, there could be more.
    Last edited by dunkman; 07-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green / Kwami / Manu / Jack / Neal (2 swings expandable in a trade)

Duncan / Diaw / Splitter / Lorbek (2 expandable in a trade)
    you realize Green, Duncan, Lorbek and Diaw are not signed by the Spurs yet?

Also, Howard is owed $20 million this season, meaning you would need to trade one of Manu/Tony/Tim + Jack for a one year Howard rental...

Doesn't make sense... not for the Spurs nor Dwight...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also, Howard is owed $20 million this season, meaning you would need to trade one of Manu/Tony/Tim + Jack for a one year Howard rental...

As long as Dwight accepts to re-sign with the Spurs for at least 2 more seasons, it would make sense. Duncan is sure to re-sign, the other 3 are probable.

To make the numbers work, the Spurs must ship Manu or Jack. Plus some young players to make it interesting for the Magic. An agreement should be made that Manu or Jack gets bought out and returns later in the season.

Dwight is not as talented as Duncan, but he has lead the Magic to the finals. He's an franchise player, it does make sense for the Spurs if he stays at least 3 seasons. And it takes sense for Dwight, since the Spurs would win championships in that time, which is good for his endorsement opportunities and he would have the chance to clean up his image which is also important, speaking in commercial terms.

LeBron was considered a clown - until he won the championship. Despite being 3 times MVP. I'm not convinced the Nets are sure to win a championship during the next 3 seasons.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stop...please

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs made most of their moves in odd numbered off seasons (2009 trade for Jefferson, which didn't pan out but they turned old Bowen/Oberto/Thomas into Stephen Jackson, fwiw, turning Hill into Leonard/Lorbek/Bertans (Leonard alone makes the trade worth it)).

You don't blow up a roster that was two games from the Finals. You simply get rid of the superfluous parts and weakest links.
    I agree improve the frontline defense and add more playmaking in the form of a backup pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Dwight accepts to re-sign with the Spurs for at least 2 more seasons, it would make sense. Duncan is sure to re-sign, the other 3 are probable.

To make the numbers work, the Spurs must ship Manu or Jack. Plus some young players to make it interesting for the Magic. An agreement should be made that Manu or Jack gets bought out and returns later in the season.
    Manu is set to make $14m, Jack $10m... If you want to ship Manu, you have to come up with another $6m, if it's Jack, then another $10m... that's a lot of filler. Not to mention the Magic won't take like Bonner.

To please the Magic you would probably need to ship both Manu and Jack since they're both expiring, and absorb one $4m bad contract from Orlando. They won't release either player, seeing they would rather them come off the books at season's end.

Ultimately, why would Dwight want to sign with an aging core and small market like the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between the news of Camby (sounds like he has an offer from the Spurs) and Ersan, it seems like the Spurs might be going a completely different route which is very interesting due to the limited funds they seemingly have available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not talking about getting rid of core players - only upgrade the talent around them. Start by removing the last vestiges of dead weight on the roster. Spurs were really motivated in getting rid of RJ - and rightfully so. Same approach needs to be taken with the other remaining players that are proven non-playoff performers and thus are considered wasted roster spots.
    I agree you have loser on your team like Boner then it just spreads like a disease. Some one said it best is when you put Boner in you give the other team Hope and Confidence and you make the Spurs players choke...

TRADE HIS GINGER ARSE!

Don't tell me we can't get a high second round pick for him.....Do it RC I don't care if you and Pop gotta open up your secrete stash of liquor...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu and Jackson for Howard one year rental would be a great deal. All in for one last le. Manu and Jackson will have little value in a couple of years anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu and Jackson for Howard one year rental would be a great deal. All in for one last le. Manu and Jackson will have little value in a couple of years anyways.
    Only problem is Orlando is not going to trade expiring for expiring. They would rather trade Dwight for players with longer contracts, and to their vantage point, players younger than 34 years of age

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't be a great deal simply because both Manu and Jack are still hungry for a ship, while Dwight would be looking where he's going in the offseason. Not to mention that if you're renting Dwight for just a season, you really can't offer Duncan more than 1 year, since he's not sticking around on a depleted/rebuilding team.

Plus everyone knows Manu is retiring a Spur, so there's that too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, Dwigth for Manu/Jack would be highway robbery for the Spurs... it's not happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Tim Duncan
    Tiago Splitter

Power Forwards
    Boris Diaw
    Erazem Lorbek

Small Forwards
    Kawhi Leonard
    Stephen Jackson

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Danny Green

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Patrick Mills (or Nando De Colo or a cheap veteran)

That lineup is stacked. I hope someone from the FO reads this tbh.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, Dwigth for Manu/Jack would be highway robbery for the Spurs... it's not happening
    Never said this could possibly happen because it wouldn't, just saying that you make that deal if it was presented to you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said this could possibly happen because it wouldn't, just saying that you make that deal if it was presented to you.
    Ok...then why the are you even talking about it?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Hey, let's consider trading our young superstar for Manu Ginobili and Stephen Jackson", said nobody ever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget this. A "simple summer strategy" will get this team knocked out by the Conference Finals, at the latest. And maybe any move that they can realistically make will. But you know what? They've clearly made a commitment to Duncan that they'll attempt to contend until he retires. Bringing back the same team that wasn't good enough and having the big three get a year older (while the team that beats them gets a year more experienced, no less) isn't attempting to contend; it's conceding defeat.

Every other contender and pseudo contender is basically going all in. They don't care about "well, what about when (insert veteran star retires), how will we look then?" They're all trying everything they can to squeeze one more le out while said star is around. And that's what the Spurs need to do. If they're going to dip their toes into this water, they better be prepared to jump in.

I've advocated it many times, but always qualified it with something like "it's highly unlikely, but worth a shot"; enough of that. They need to call up Ferry and say, outside of the big three and Leonard, name your price for Smith. Any package of players or players they have the rights to, plus multiple 1sts and 2nds, should be in play. Maybe he still doesn't do it, but he probably at least thinks about it, especially if (when?) Howard consents to go to the Lakers, since Nash can serve as a liaison of sorts between him and Bryant. Once Howard is out, Paul, who's an even bigger long shot, definitely is. And then what does he do with all that financial flexibility? Would Smith, who's apparently back on board, even want to stay at that point?

And let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time in this league that a front office friend did an opposing front office friend a favor. Though Ferry may well have gotten another GM job on his own volition, would he have gotten 6 years and (it appears) full autonomy if he didn't re-join the Spurs and have people seemingly forget the terrible job he did with the Cavs? Probably not. Who knows, maybe he'll feel somewhat indebted to them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget this. A "simple summer strategy" will get this team knocked out by the Conference Finals, at the latest. And maybe any move that they can realistically make will. But you know what? They've clearly made a commitment to Duncan that they'll attempt to contend until he retires. Bringing back the same team that wasn't good enough and having the big three get a year older (while the team that beats them gets a year more experienced, no less) isn't attempting to contend; it's conceding defeat.

Every other contender and pseudo contender is basically going all in. They don't care about "well, what about when (insert veteran star retires), how will we look then?" They're all trying everything they can to squeeze one more le out while said star is around. And that's what the Spurs need to do. If they're going to dip their toes into this water, they better be prepared to jump in.

I've advocated it many times, but always qualified it with something like "it's highly unlikely, but worth a shot"; enough of that. They need to call up Ferry and say, outside of the big three and Leonard, name your price for Smith. Any package of players or players they have the rights to, plus multiple 1sts and 2nds, should be in play. Maybe he still doesn't do it, but he probably at least thinks about it, especially if (when?) Howard consents to go to the Lakers, since Nash can serve as a liaison of sorts between him and Bryant. Once Howard is out, Paul, who's an even bigger long shot, definitely is. And then what does he do with all that financial flexibility? Would Smith, who's apparently back on board, even want to stay at that point?

And let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time in this league that a front office friend did an opposing front office friend a favor. Though Ferry may well have gotten another GM job on his own volition, would he have gotten 6 years and (it appears) full autonomy if he didn't re-join the Spurs and have people seemingly forget the terrible job he did with the Cavs? Probably not. Who knows, maybe he'll feel somewhat indebted to them.
    I agree they have to do something but I don't think Smith is the savior you think he is. Diaw's a better fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, looks like Plan A was never their plan. Apparently Marcus Camby has wiggled into the picture and is a high priority.

Weird turn of events, tbh.

Next few days will be interesting. Hopefully there's a flurry of news around the 11th including the re-signing of Duncan, Diaw and Green. As for Camby, the latest I can imagine that taking is until after the Rockets figure out if the Bulls are matching Asik.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, looks like Plan A was never their plan. Apparently Marcus Camby has wiggled into the picture and is a high priority.

Weird turn of events, tbh.

Next few days will be interesting. Hopefully there's a flurry of news around the 11th including the re-signing of Duncan, Diaw and Green. As for Camby, the latest I can imagine that taking is until after the Rockets figure out if the Bulls are matching Asik.
    You heard from reliable sources that Camby is the target? I would assume he's more likely heading to the Knicks.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I can't handle another season of Bonner and Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't handle another season of Bonner and Blair.
    Could be worse...you could be an Orlando fan.

Thread Information