My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the '99 Spurs, are the 2012 Heat being regarded as the asterisk champions? If they are, I've not heard or seen it. Here's the double-standard placated throughout the media bias. This Heat team is "loved" by the media. Exciting! King James, MVP! Etc.

The '99 Spurs, blah! "Boring, defensive-minded, grind it out team with no athletes"! But wait! Isn't that what this year's Heat team was? Defensive-minded? Hmmm...

I'm just ranting a bit here b/c my team didn't win this year. The good guys didn't win. Oh well, onto training camp and the hope of another year as the best in the West!

mando

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allowing an average Offensive Rating of 110 in the Finals is defensive now?

Still, asterisks are weak excuses. Regardless how long a season is, in theory everyone has a chance to make the playoffs. But then there's no compe ive balance in the NBA anyway.

Just because it's a shortened season and fluke injuries occur to key players (no, a shortened schedule produces stress injuries like sore muscles, not freak accidents like ACL tears) doesn't mean it's less of a championship. Phil Jackson was just mad the Lakers got swept in the 1999 playoffs and the Spurs closed out the Forum.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    One * deserves another *

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil Jackson and laker fans were the only one who think that. I'm pretty sure kobe would have loved a championship this year. Imo shorten seasons are harder to win. Lots of games a week, no time to practice, and no time to recover from injury. Only losers of that year call out bull like *

Lol just saw ame post as racm....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil Jackson and laker fans were the only one who think that.
    Jackson didn't say asterisk in reference to the Spurs. Not at first, anyway.

Before the '99 season even started, the Chicago press was hounding Jackson to come back and coach the Bulls one more year to go for a "fourpeat." Jackson hated the Bulls front office and wanted to retire so he just threw out the line that the '99 le would be an "asterisk" championship, anyway, as an excuse to leave. That was before anyone (i.e., the Spurs) had even started the season much less won the le.

Jackson just repeated that line once the Spurs won (when asked about his earlier comment) -- it wasn't originally directed at the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allowing an average Offensive Rating of 110 in the Finals is defensive now?

Still, asterisks are weak excuses. Regardless how long a season is, in theory everyone has a chance to make the playoffs. But then there's no compe ive balance in the NBA anyway.

Just because it's a shortened season and fluke injuries occur to key players (no, a shortened schedule produces stress injuries like sore muscles, not freak accidents like ACL tears) doesn't mean it's less of a championship. Phil Jackson was just mad the Lakers got swept in the 1999 playoffs and the Spurs closed out the Forum.
    Phil Jackson wasn't even coaching the Lakers in '99.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nada

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Before the '99 season even started, the Chicago press was hounding Jackson to come back and coach the Bulls one more year to go for a "fourpeat." Jackson hated the Bulls front office and wanted to retire so he just threw out the line that the '99 le would be an "asterisk" championship, anyway, as an excuse to leave. That was before anyone (i.e., the Spurs) had even started the season much less won the le.

Jackson just repeated that line once the Spurs won (when asked about his earlier comment) -- it wasn't originally directed at the Spurs.
    Exactly. Phil originally stated that the championship from 99 would be tainted, regardless of who won it, because the Bulls would not be there. They had just broken up. Typical hype, nothing more. This was said before the season even started. It had NOTHING to do with the shortened season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you ing idiot, bringing up the asterisk only solidifies it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil Jackson and laker fans were the only one who think that.

like i said.... Phil jackson and laker fans are the only ones who brought up that asterick .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like i said.... Phil jackson and laker fans are the only ones who brought up that asterick .
    Yes, and mainly because they got swept that year badly by the Spurs so it made them feel better I am guessing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's an aterix championship just like our 99 one. The asterix only signifies an abnormal season. Which 99 and 2012 were.

It doesn't take anything away from the winner though. As condensed seasons can be tougher then the usual 82 game season with all the back to backs and back to back to backs. Every team was dealt with the same situation. It's an asterix cause it's abnormal but the winner's did an amazing job.

99 Spurs *
    12 Heat *

Both did a better job then every other team and were last standing, well done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asterix?

Asterix = Tony
    Obelix = Boris

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    13 years later and Phil Jackson is still trollin s with that comment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The asterisk is the ultimate weak comfort for every homer fan. You never hear someone say, "my favorite team won the championship, but I think it gets an asterisk for this reason..." It's only used by fans who are mad that their own team wasn't able to win.

Thread Information