Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming we bring back Diaw, and we passed on Lorbek in favor of a physical center, then it would appear obvious who our back-up 4's are going to be......ugh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just want to know who the physical center is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another source that confirmed the news:
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201207...322187065.html

It seems that CSKA offered more money to Lorbek and Spurs didn't even make a formal offer for Lorbek.
    I don't know if this is a relevant view, but Mundo Deportivo (and Sport) publish all kinds of reports on "done deals"/"preliminary agreements" in soccer that turn out later to be just media hoaxes or empty speculations.

Without official confirmation, I will take this with a pinch of salt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, the worst part about Lorbek not coming over is that means Bonner is very much still a part of the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, the worst part about Lorbek not coming over is that means Bonner is very much still a part of the team
    SOB

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's await official confirmation, those Spanish sports dailies come up with "confirmed, 100% done deal" news all the time and more than half of it turns out as bull . Let's hope this is the case cuz I can't stand seeing Bonner in black and white again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems that CSKA offered more money to Lorbek and Spurs didn't even make a formal offer for Lorbek.
    No real offer from the Spurs? That's very surprising if true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lorbek signing with a team where he can play the game he loves. Doesn't want to be the next Splitter riding the bench while watching Boner and Blair getting more PT then him. Good decision from Lorbek as he actually wants to play basketball, not just watch from the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's easy to guess what likely happened: Lorbek didn't want to sign for the LLE and Spurs pick Diaw over him to be signed with the MLE.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's easy to guess what likely happened: Lorbek didn't want to sign for the LLE and Spurs pick Diaw over him to be signed with the MLE.
    If that's true, that's very bad news for the Spurs...as it is the signing of Sanikidze in italy with Siena.
    Lorbek was the only addition to last years team able to give us a real chance of improving, considering his skill set...and Diaw with the MLE if far above is actual market price.
    I always thought that the way to sign them both was to split the MLE between them...but probably everything's been spoiled by the fact that the actual MLE is for a less amount of $ than last year.

I understand the Spurs choice to try to sign some already nba proven player, but this way we're gonna give up on the only way we always had to really improve : I mean signing foreign players with no nba experience but extremely valuable for their skills (a la Manu, Parker atc atc.).

Going on this way looks like the "draft and stash" strategy is never gonna work... didn't work for Scola, nor for Javtokas, nor for Sanikidze and now for Lorbeck... and all of them were prospects with nba skills more than a lot of supposedly "nba proven" players... The only positive example could be Splitter, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that, despite the numbers, Pop has some problems in developing his talents...

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i guess it's easy to say that for the full MLE Lorbek would have signed, but not for a fraction of it.
    so the Spurs did have other plans as well (Diaw, De Colo) and Lorbek wasn't the #1 priority.
    might even open some other scenarios. for example: Diaw re signes for a compareable number like the Mini MLE would be. (some contenders might offer this). this would leave the Spurs with the chance to offer something like 3 years/6 million to a player like Camby. (small chance he takes it, he is almost Knicks bound, but still a better offer than vet. minimum or LLE).
    and De Colo signs via LLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see if I get this one right.

3 M Euros before taxes is about 1.6 M net, considering the changes Spain is -finally- putting to their tax legislation on the wealthy.
    That's what? some $3/3,3 M before taxes?
    It is mentioned that the CSKA offer was higher (no doubt about that), might be in the $ 5 M range before taxes (in Russia).

Siena's backup PG is going to Bilbao for $ 2M. Backup PG.

In another thread, we were talking here about something around $ 3 M.

If the Spurs are not capable to match Barça's offer, they were never really serious about Lorbek.
    It might signal that between Diaw and Lorbek, they would go for the proven guy.
    Diaw did play well, with his contract expiring.
    He also did play well when the previous contract was expiring, to get a fat new one.
    Once he got that, he got fatter than his contract.

Or it might signal that Lorbek was never really serious about going to the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks to me that the Spurs are far too aware of the European market to imagine Lorbek would sign for the LLE.
    Probably Barça just matched what they presumed -or were told- would be Spurs offer.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's true, that's very bad news for the Spurs...as it is the signing of Sanikidze in italy with Siena.
    Lorbek was the only addition to last years team able to give us a real chance of improving, considering his skill set...and Diaw with the MLE if far above is actual market price.
    No true...if players like Asik and Ryan Anderson are getting the contracts they are getting then Diaw for the MLE is a very good deal. He is also a known commodity that has shown his game meshes very well with what the Spurs do offensively. I would have liked to see Lorbek in a Spurs uni too, but Diaw is easily the better choice if one is forced to make one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Diaw for the MLE would be a bargain compared to the crazy deals Asik/Ryno got tbh.

You get a guy whose current position is PF but who actually plays all five positions, can hit shots near the basket or from beyond the arc, is a great passer to a fault (passes in favor of shooting), is an adequate rebounder, and just led a comeback against Britain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has been the obvious and predictable outcome for quite some time now. The Spurs had to choose between Diaw and Lorbek and Diaw was always the obvious choice. The tiny sliver of a chance of getting both was based on Lorbek signing for below market value and that was extremely unlikely. I'm just glad that it was resolved early so that the Spurs can move on with other targets for the BAE and anything that might be left from the MLE after signing Diaw.

It was worth a shot to acquire Lorbek's rights as a throw-in for free. In the end, his rights were worth exactly what the Spurs paid for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or it might signal that Lorbek was never really serious about going to the NBA.
    We'll never know for sure, although there was never any indication that going to the NBA was very important to him. I am certain that Lorbek and his agent celebrated when the Spurs obtained his NBA rights. Unlike the Pacers, the Spurs would be regarded as a legitimate suitor for his services and help to secure the best possible contract in Europe.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    This is great news. The Spurs didn't need another un-athletic, non-rebounding, non-shotblocking power forward who doesn't like to draw contact and hasn't even proven he can play in the nba.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 07-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Diaw for the MLE would be a bargain compared to the crazy deals Asik/Ryno got tbh.

You get a guy whose current position is PF but who actually plays all five positions, can hit shots near the basket or from beyond the arc, is a great passer to a fault (passes in favor of shooting), is an adequate rebounder, and just led a comeback against Britain.
    And while so many here forget everything that happened before those final 4 games, the Spurs won 15 consecutive games, including 10 playoff games, with Diaw starting next to Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, until Game 3 the lineup of Parker/Green/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan was UNBEATEN.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, until Game 3 the lineup of Parker/Green/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan was UNBEATEN.
    If anything I don't think Pop went with Leonard and Diaw enough in the last few games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes perfect sense. Diaw is the better fit once he gets into shape. Just got to integrate him more into the offense. I would also like to see Splitter become the third big to subs ute for Diaw-Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks to me that the Spurs are far too aware of the European market to imagine Lorbek would sign for the LLE.
    I'm sure they knew the LLE was below his European market value. Their only hope to get him for the LLE was if Lorbek was ready to take a paycut to sign in the NBA. It looks like he wasn't which was expected given that he has never been fascinated by the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, since Diaw wasn't putting points on the board and Pop elected to go with more Jackson at the 3...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, since Diaw wasn't putting points on the board and Pop elected to go with more Jackson at the 3...
    That's too simple of a way to look at it. Actually Diaw probably should have had the ball in his hands more. He could have probably helped setup some of the other guys like Danny Green who were struggling. Have Parker play off the ball and make Diaw the secondary playmaker. That way Manu wouldn't have had to start. It worked pretty well against the Clippers when they got the ball out of Parker's hands.

Thread Information