Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His first offseason here he shoudlve worked on his jumpshot with the spurs coaching staff. Instead, he decides to work on his own, on that stupid floater, while making music videos for that stupid music group, that has no shot at being mainstream, or even resembling anything worth listening to at all. I think once he gives up on his music dreams and realizes he can have more sucess at basketball is the day that well see him dedicate himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair should've adopted the Kawai Leonard model for hard work and improving his game. , for that matter, he should've worked out with Glenn "Big Baby" Davis. The limitations to his game were nearly the same as Blair. Except now, Davis is a very good midrange shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair should've adopted the Kawai Leonard model for hard work and improving his game. , for that matter, he should've worked out with Glenn "Big Baby" Davis. The limitations to his game were nearly the same as Blair. Except now, Davis is a very good midrange shooter.
    To be fair, Davis is 3 years older and been in the league for 2 more years..Good comparison though. Blair is only still 23, so he still has time to turn his career around with some hard work. Only time will tell, just probably not with SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I almost started the same thread when I saw the SAEN article.

It seems Blair has a hard time understanding what may be easily understandable for us i.e. used mainly during the regular season and benched in the POs. From his quotes he seems to have some insight but that cannot completely prevent his ego from being hurt. Hope the Spurs FO can find somewhere for him to prove himself, and above all, the young guy can turn his frustration to motivation.

Agreed that Blair's growing maturity kept him from turning his frustration into personal attack and ruining the team chemistry.

I don't think we can never understand more than a player or what goes on inside the Spurs organization. We all like to speculate (me included) about the Spurs. It just seems to me that Blair new what was going on but still is disappointed at Pop's decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance he had of overcoming his lack of height was reduced to zero because he never expanded his game. His value would be much higher to himself and his team if he had worked hard enough to improve his game, even if that improvement still kept him from getting meaningful playoff minutes. There's really no excuse for the stagnation, even regression, in his game.
    This. As much as I hate to admit it, all Blair had to do was put in the time to develop a reliable 12-15ft jumpshot. That's the key to undersized bigs being effective in this league, and especially with this team.

He still has value for sure, but not developing a mid-range jumpshot has absolutely limited his effectiveness as a player on this team and off it. Hopefully his offseason regimen includes losing weight and working on that shot. Without it, he's nothing more than what he's been the past two seasons; a regular season minute-eater.

And to think I had such high hope for the kid. He came in with a chip on his shoulder and it unfortunately sounds like he'll be leaving with a different one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened with Diaw has really hurt Blair which in understandable.

During 3 years, Pop has been behind Blair to ask him to stay in shape. He even called him out and put him in the doghouse for being in poor shape. At the end Pop gave his spot to Diaw who was fatter.

For both Spurs and Blair, a trade is the best outcome. Hopefully, Spurs will be able to get a solid backup PF for a package with Blair. A Duncan, Diaw, Splitter and solid backup PF would be a fine bigmen rotation.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , for that matter, he should've worked out with Glenn "Big Baby" Davis. The limitations to his game were nearly the same as Blair. Except now, Davis is a very good midrange shooter.
    1) Davis had a little bit of a midrange game even at LSU.

2) I wouldn't say that he's a "very good" midrange shooter. He makes enough to confuse some people, but with TS% in the 47% range, the guy really shouldn't be shooting period. Offensively, Blair is superior to Davis because he knows what he is and what he isn't. Not to go all Hollinger, but there's something to be said that every year Dejuan has posted a PER 3-4 points higher than Big Baby's career high.

The one advantage Davis has over Blair is a better understanding of how to overcome his lack of height to a certain degree by using his girth to maintain good defensive position (a la Malik).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs1990 and timvp nailed it.

He was all but guaranteed to be gone anyway, but this sealed it. The Spurs never retain players who don't want to play for them and he's made it clear that he doesn't, if he's going to be a non rotation player (and he would be). So even if they can't find a trade to their liking, they'll probably cut him. Which would be ridiculous, because even if he's not part of a bigger trade, you can't tell me that on his own, he can't at least fetch a legit 2nd (legit meaning, not a top 50-55 protected 2014-16 2nd). But I wouldn't put it past them to cut him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will not cut him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be beyond stupid to cut him. And the Spurs do have a history of hanging on to players who have wanted out. James Anderson and RMJ being two recent examples.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree and I think it's highly unlikely, but that's why I said, "I wouldn't put it past them". If someone is not going to give them a legit offer, they might figure "why should we give a productive/useful, inexpensive young player to a team for free?". That would obviously be a last resort type option.

Can't believe the Mason example slipped my mind. I was thinking (and should have clarified), guys that complain publicly . . . there goes that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had a positive +/- in Game 4.

Of course, Pop decides a choking stretch 4 who won a ring riding the pine is somehow better than a young undersized 4 in the playoffs.
    Of course, Bonner played 2 minutes in game 4, 1 min in game 5 and NONE in game 6. Would putting in a shooter not have helped in those 3 games instead of saying "he has disappeared from sight"?

DB's inability to come into camp in shape and remain that way throughout the season is a testament to his immaturity.

He's in the freakin NBA as an undersized "big" who you would think would put in a lot of extra work just to stay in the league.

Pop and the Spurs benching him is a lot of his own doing.
    Actually, Blair played quite a bit in April, but never played in the playoffs and I for one dont understand why. He produced in April. He produced against the Thunder during the season and then sat on the bench while Perkins and Ibaca had a field day against the great Diaw.

Some guys make up for their shortcomings with work ethic. The only thing that has expanded in DB time here is his waistline. That should tell you enough about the guy.
    that was not this season, he did quite well at watching his weight. The only reason he was taken out of the starting lineup was DIAW came in and Parker wanted him to start. Otherwise, Blair continues to get 20 mins and produce 9 and 7 on regular basis.

I think he's improved. He's gotten more efficient around the rim. Added that floater. FTs are no longer a liability for him. Found out how to get his shot off against bigger defenders. Learned how to use his quick hands to knock the ball away from opponents backing him down.

He's regressed in rebounding, but that may, or may not, be due to his knees. We'll find out over the next few years regardless of where he ends up.

But, at the end of the day, he's just two short to defend competent post players and offers no rim deterrent as a help defender. A lesser team might be able to live with that, but not a le contender.
    He regressed because other teams began to put a body on the short guy who was dominating the boards.

What happen
    ed with Diaw has really hurt Blair which in understandable.

During 3 years, Pop has been behind Blair to ask him to stay in shape. He even called him out and put him in the doghouse for being in poor shape. At the end Pop gave his spot to Diaw who was fatter.

For both Spurs and Blair, a trade is the best outcome. Hopefully, Spurs will be able to get a solid backup PF for a package with Blair. A Duncan, Diaw, Splitter and solid backup PF would be a fine bigmen rotation.
    Blair produced all season. He played the minutes until Diaw showed up. Diaw really put up great scoring and rebounding numbers 5 points and 4 boards. He also shut down Ibaca on an 11 for 11 night against him. Dont you wonder if Blair might have harrassed Ibaca a little?

Blair is not a star player, but I would rather see him working on the court than Diaw. At least, he does something even if it is a mistake. Diaw went away when things got tough.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair is in a weird position. I understand he has to look out for his career in a contract year. This next contract might be his last. Better to politely pave the way for his own exit. The only thing is, it sounds like the Spurs already tried to trade him and no one wanted him (unless he was tethered to that boat anchor Matt Bonner in a trade scenario). Anyway, hopefully he does get traded and everyone wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, the Heat almost traded a late second rounder for Roger Mason Jr. but it expired before the deal could be done. I think that might be the most realistic asset the Spurs can get in return for Blair. And one that's probably not worth it. Spurs still need Blair's energy and tenacity on the boards even if his knees keep declining.

Blair is basically in a Richard Jefferson situation. Spurs kept starting RJ, even when there were other options, in order to give RJ some trade value and while not being completely useless to the Spurs. But benching Blair towards the end of seasons and in the playoffs is a red flag, along with Blair's weight gain and lack of range. I wanted to like Blair since he's an underdog story with rare flashes of 20/20 talent, but he's not what the Spurs need, not even the past squads that desperately needed rebounding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You would think with his cheap salary, he would be easy to trade. I wonder if the Spurs are looking to dump somebody else with him or would just rather stick with the cheap body.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, Bonner played 2 minutes in game 4, 1 min in game 5 and NONE in game 6. Would putting in a shooter not have helped in those 3 games instead of saying "he has disappeared from sight"?

Actually, Blair played quite a bit in April, but never played in the playoffs and I for one dont understand why. He produced in April. He produced against the Thunder during the season and then sat on the bench while Perkins and Ibaca had a field day against the great Diaw.

that was not this season, he did quite well at watching his weight. The only reason he was taken out of the starting lineup was DIAW came in and Parker wanted him to start. Otherwise, Blair continues to get 20 mins and produce 9 and 7 on regular basis.

He regressed because other teams began to put a body on the short guy who was dominating the boards.

Blair produced all season. He played the minutes until Diaw showed up. Diaw really put up great scoring and rebounding numbers 5 points and 4 boards. He also shut down Ibaca on an 11 for 11 night against him. Dont you wonder if Blair might have harrassed Ibaca a little?

Blair is not a star player, but I would rather see him working on the court than Diaw. At least, he does something even if it is a mistake. Diaw went away when things got tough.
    I haven't this much fail in one post in quite some time.

I award you no points and my God have mercy on your soul.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty amazing looking at the roster that the Spurs don't have one bad contract. Not one. In many respects this is a year to ship players like Neal, Blair, Bonner, Manu, and Jax out given their expiring natures or quasi-expiring in the case of Bonner (last partially guaranteed).

I bet whoever the Spurs have contacted about trades at this point are asking them to assume too crappy of a contract in return for whatever approx $5M-6M cap relief (Bonner/Blair/Neal combo) could mean to them next summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I regard Blair as a case of unrealized potential. If he had the work ethic exemplified by Tim Duncan, he wouldn't be wondering why the coach went away from him in the playoffs.

Compare him to Leonard who was a poor 3 point shooter in college. Without the benefit of summer league, access to team staff last summer, or a full training camp, he developed into a very good NBA 3 point shooter during the course of the season.

What upgrade to his game has Blair added in 3 seasons? Still can't make a shot outside of the paint. Got fat during the season. Still gets lost on defense.

Still a good value for the price as a minutes eater when the games matter less, but he hasn't raised his game to justify anything more.
    He's gotten better at taking charges but I agree no jumpshot and his rebounding has decreased. Maybe all he needs is a coach that's willing to work with him to improve his game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair has ALWAYS been too short to defend competent post players. The problem is, with the exception of Duncan, all the Spurs bigs have serious limitations and deficiencies (lack of size, athleticism, skill) which makes for an inadequate pairing of whatever combination Pop decides to throw out on the floor.

That leaves the Spurs frontline extremely vulnerable and susceptible to the opposition's ability to score on the inside, attacking the rim and getting second-chance shots. It also places an inordinate amount of workload on Duncan, who as we all know, is in decline.
    I don't even think that's how the Spurs post deficiencies mostly manifest themselves. It think the frontline's vulnerabilities manifest themselves more when our defenders can't stay in front of perimeter guys because they're helping so much and afraid of getting beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's gotten better at taking charges but I agree no jumpshot and his rebounding has decreased. Maybe all he needs is a coach that's willing to work with him to improve his game.
    At this point, maybe he's not willing to put forth the effort after watching the coach go with somebody else when the playoffs came around. (two times in a row at that)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be great if we could package Bonner and Blair and bring back a stretch 4 who can also defend, but I think that's impossible.

I'd be happy with Blair as 4th/5th big depending on matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He needs to understand that Diaw brings more to the Spurs on both ends then he does. As for Bonner getting more minutes than him in the playoffs...he would have a legitimate complaint.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Hopefully Blair stays. He'll be more productive than any third string nobody or late second round draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair earned more respect from me then I already gave him forhis positive at ude during the last run, and his amazing energy in the second half stint he had in the okc series.
    hope he ends up with good money, with an opportunity for good minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs CAN'T move him, then I'm OK with them bringing him back. But if they can package him and Bonner for a legit big man, then they HAVE to do it. But I'd be fine with him as a 4th/5th big next season...

Thread Information