My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Should the Rangers take up his fat contract?

If they can afford him, I say sure, and let Josh walk in the offseason.

They could still have a loaded and versatile lineup with Kinsler, Andrus, Beltre, Cruz, Young, Moreland, Napoli, Murphy and Gentry, along with some great potential coming likely to get regular PT next season in Leonys Martin (OF) and Mike Olt (IF).

Then potentially a pitching lineup of Darvish, Lee, Harrison, Dempster, and Holland next year? Not to mention potentially a group of Feliz, Ogando, Feldman, and Nathan in the bullpen.

Granted, I'm sure a player here and there that I listed won't be here next year, but regardless... there is still lots of talent and potential for a loaded team that is not just built for now, but for the future as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    will they let josh walk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ::shudder::

Not sure about that one, bro. Lee is getting older. Not the same pitcher he was when he was here. If it means letting Hambone walk, I don't know about that. Sure Hambone has demons. But when he can get rid of them, he's the best hitter in the league. Look what he did tonight...2-4..4 RBIs. He's a beast. I would do my best to hold on to him in the offseason. If Nolan and JD can still afford Lee and keep Josh, definitely. If it means KNOWING he's walking in the offseason, I wouldn't do it..we're still in a pennant race, and the last thing you need to do is give Josh something to worry about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ::shudder::

Not sure about that one, bro. Lee is getting older. Not the same pitcher he was when he was here. If it means letting Hambone walk, I don't know about that. Sure Hambone has demons. But when he can get rid of them, he's the best hitter in the league. Look what he did tonight...2-4..4 RBIs. He's a beast. I would do my best to hold on to him in the offseason. If Nolan and JD can still afford Lee and keep Josh, definitely. If it means KNOWING he's walking in the offseason, I wouldn't do it..we're still in a pennant race, and the last thing you need to do is give Josh something to worry about.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My thing is... would you rather have an albatross contract invested in an injury prone, aging lineup player, or an albatross contract contract invested in an aging ace pitcher?

I'll take my chances with the pitching, considering it looks like they will still have a lethal lineup, with or without Josh. But the chance to have two legit aces with Lee and Darvish for next year? Not to mention another pitcher with ace talent in Holland? That is a luxury most teams don't have. I'd rather unload money on that kind of potential, as opposed to one great (but physically and mentally injury prone) hitter in a lineup with many very solid hitters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thing is... would you rather have an albatross contract invested in an injury prone, aging lineup player, or an albatross contract contract invested in an aging ace pitcher?

I'll take my chances with the pitching, considering it looks like they will still have a lethal lineup, with or without Josh. But the chance to have two legit aces with Lee and Darvish for next year? Not to mention another pitcher with ace talent in Holland? That is a luxury most teams don't have. I'd rather unload money on that kind of potential, as opposed to one great (but physically and mentally injury prone) hitter in a lineup with many very solid hitters.
    I guess I can see your point, especially with the farm players we have...I just know if we let Josh go, he's gonna head to the Angels or A's and absolutely destroy us. He has the ability to be the MVP..we've seen it. If it's a possibility, I look at it as an option, but in my opinion, it's not a no brainer..it would take a lot of thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still can't wait to get Profar up here.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    no

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Claimed by Dodgers, but I believe Lee can veto trade to LA, and even if, it seems Philly wants Billingsly and a top pitching prospect, so unlikely LA agrees to that and takes on Lee's contract plus the incentive to convince Lee to waive veto rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Lee was good, why put him on waivers?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is good. He's just having a bad year.

The Phillies are just overreacting to their poor season.

They completely defaced the whole team. Most of the players that were there in the beginning of the season are now gone.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    tbh I'd rather spend their offseason budget going after Greinke. But if it came down to it taking Cliff Lee would be dumb but understandable. What will drive me insane (and what's probably going to happen) is giving stupid money to Josh Hamilton. I've harped on this alot, but let me reiterate all my points here. This guy is a:

-former crackhead who could go right back to that lifestyle in the blink of an eye.

-injury prone as

-already 31 years old, meaning his former crackhead-wrecked body will only be breaking down even worse from here on out.

-incredibly undisciplined in all aspects of the game. He swings at horrible pitches, he takes unnecessary risks in the field, and he has no idea how to safely slide when baserunning.

-inconsistent, to say the least.

Now, when Hamilton is playing at his peak, he's the best player in baseball without a doubt. But he doesn't stay at that peak for long, his valleys are almost as bad as his peaks are good, and who cares how good he is if he's constantly injured? Giving Josh Hamilton a giant, 5+ year deal (like he WILL get from some team, probably the Rangers) is fiscally irresponsible and not all that smart even in baseball terms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see Toronto throwing a lot of money at Hamilton

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh I'd rather spend their offseason budget going after Greinke. But if it came down to it taking Cliff Lee would be dumb but understandable. What will drive me insane (and what's probably going to happen) is giving stupid money to Josh Hamilton. I've harped on this alot, but let me reiterate all my points here. This guy is a:

-former crackhead who could go right back to that lifestyle in the blink of an eye.

-injury prone as

-already 31 years old, meaning his former crackhead-wrecked body will only be breaking down even worse from here on out.

-incredibly undisciplined in all aspects of the game. He swings at horrible pitches, he takes unnecessary risks in the field, and he has no idea how to safely slide when baserunning.

-inconsistent, to say the least.

Now, when Hamilton is playing at his peak, he's the best player in baseball without a doubt. But he doesn't stay at that peak for long, his valleys are almost as bad as his peaks are good, and who cares how good he is if he's constantly injured? Giving Josh Hamilton a giant, 5+ year deal (like he WILL get from some team, probably the Rangers) is fiscally irresponsible and not all that smart even in baseball terms.
    No joke - I have heard stories that Josh has never been sober. They cover up a lot of stuff - and while he may not go Frank The Tank all the time, he pretty consistently drinks and stuff.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    If you think a player won't be claimed because of a fat contract with years left on it, you put him on waivers. If he clears, you have another month until the second trade deadline at the end of August to work out a deal. There will be a number of players on waivers in the near future.

Didn't work out for Philly.

Thread Information