Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Saying Cabrera is as good a fielder as Beltre would be laced with homerism, but not nearly to the degree of homerism the opinion that Beltre's fielding advantage outweighs Cabrera's batting advantage has.
    Well, this is 90210 we are talking about... no need to get butthurt over his usual stuff. Although I haven't once seen anyone in this thread claim that Beltre's defensive advantage outweighs Cabrera's offensive advantage. Who said that?

How many plays do you think Beltre has made this year that Cabrera couldn't have made? How much has that affected the Rangers' wins and losses?

Be specific.

Rangerfan's argument wreaks of, "I'm going to say beltre has really vague things that can't be quantified knowing that those things have a miniscule impact on the game."
    If Nelson Cruz had half the range and/or balls that Adrian Beltre has as a fielder, the Rangers would be World Champions and looking to defend their le. If Bill Buckner makes a better read on a bounce, the 1986 Red Sox are World Champions.

It may not necessarily make a massive difference in wins and losses, but let's not act like competent defense isn't a part of the game that matters.

Of course we can expect a cynical, sarcastic reply from you to go something like this:

Yeah, twice in history did a routine fluky play go wrong and cost a team a championship, so now every team needs to unload money on elite defenders at each position to protect from a World Series losing defensive mistake

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    So you can't quantify it. Didn't think so.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol the better fielder argument

I guess Rangerfan thinks Beltre's fielding % of .968 compared to Cabrera's fielding % of .967 outweighs the fact Cabrera is a better offensive player in every single category.
    I was about to point this out before 'ased Lo pointed this out

Beltre>Cabrera in the field due to mobility but Cabrera has actually been pretty solid in the field this season as a 3B despite the fact that he's a fatass

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I was about to point this out before 'ased Lo pointed this out
    that sounds awkward

imo

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Using fielding percentage as the be-all end-all of defensive evaluation

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Using fielding percentage as the be-all end-all of defensive evaluation
    using fielding as if it's as important as batting when evaluating position players

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    using fielding as if it's as important as batting when evaluating position players
    Hey, I'd much rather have a position player who can field well than a total liability, tbh....

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm sure thats why the Angels gave Pujols $200M last summer. They needed a 1st baseman who could field really well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you can't quantify it. Didn't think so.
    Didn't say I could quantify anything...said it was my opinion...I prefer Beltre..you don't...that's fine.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    That post was in response to stretch, not you.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Except that nobody did that.

great ing argument

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That post was in response to stretch, not you.
    ok...my bad

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Except that nobody did that.

great ing argument
    So you admit Cabrera's batting is significantly more advantageous than Beltre's fielding? If that's the case I'm not sure why you're in this thread defending the arguments that Beltre is the best 3rd baseman in baseball.

I know it's your thing to say, "I wasn't serious about that really re ed opinion I had!" but it's hilarious how much your tone has changed since the beginning of this thread.

lol Vince Young
    lol probably blames Jeff Fisher for the Bills cutting him
    lol T-shirt Longhorns fan
    lol didn't start posting about the Rangers till they got good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure thats why the Angels gave Pujols $200M last summer. They needed a 1st baseman who could field really well.
    Apples and oranges. The primary reason the Rangers signed Beltre, was for his glove. We know why the Angels signed Pujols.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    the Rangers gave Beltre that giant contract because of his glove? If so that's really re ed.

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Apples and oranges. The primary reason the Rangers signed Beltre, was for his glove. We know why the Angels signed Pujols.
    Yes, giving someone a 6 year 96 million dollar contract for primarily their glove isn't ing re ed at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Rangers gave Beltre that giant contract because of his glove? If so that's really re ed.
    True. Just like the Angels giving Pujols a 10-year, 264 million. Pretty re ed.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So you admit Cabrera's batting is significantly more advantageous than Beltre's fielding? If that's the case I'm not sure why you're in this thread defending the arguments that Beltre is the best 3rd baseman in baseball.
    All I said is that he is playing as well as any 3rd baseman in baseball right now. Never once defended that he is the best.

I know it's your thing to say, "I wasn't serious about that really re ed opinion I had!" but it's hilarious how much your tone has changed since the beginning of this thread.
    Really? How is that? I think from beginning to end, all I've said is that he is playing at a high level right now, as well as any 3B in baseball at this point in time, but that I would still take Cabrera on my team in most situations.

lol Vince Young
    lol probably blames Jeff Fisher for the Bills cutting him
    lol T-shirt Longhorns fan
    lol didn't start posting about the Rangers till they got good
    oooh! sick burn!

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    No, they were just dumb enough to give $240 million over 10 years to a 32-year-old.... not a surprise, considering they were also the only team in the league dumb enough to willingly take on Vernon Wells' contract, tbh.....

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    He's been the best 3rd baseman in baseball
    Um...just saying it's my opinion. You're welcome to agree or disagree..you disagree, and that's fine. The roll Beltre is on right now is better than any 3B in the league...and I put no 3B above him on the defensive end. You might, and that's fine, but with my team, I want Beltre on third.
    Cabrera certainly has a superior career, but as of right now? It's hard not to say Beltre is playing the position as well, if not better than anyone.

And let's not get ahead of ourselves for those who tried to compare Cabrera's fielding ability to Beltre... not even close.

If I had to choose between the two players for my own team... you really can't go wrong with either, and it boils down to necessity. In the case of the Rangers, I'll take Beltre, because he's not counted on to be the main guy in the lineup (not that he's incapable of being that), and his defense is incredibly welcomed (especially after having to suffer with Michael Young being garbage defensively). But if you don't have that luxury of a guy like Josh Hamilton to bat alongside, then I would probably take Cabrera.
    homers
    arguing Beltre is better than the best offensive player in baseball
    can't wait to see how Rangerfan backpedals out of det one!

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    This thread isn't going away anytime soon, nuh uh.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    0-4
    s the bed when his team needs him most
    calling him the best 3B in baseball
    contract year who can't deliver in big games
    Beltre over Cliff Lee

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

He's been the best 3rd baseman in baseball
    LOL

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    homers
    arguing Beltre is better than the best offensive player in baseball
    can't wait to see how Rangerfan backpedals out of det one!
    Not sure where I ever said that hes the best offensive player in baseball or that he was superior to Cabrera.

0-4
    s the bed when his team needs him most
    calling him the best 3B in baseball
    contract year who can't deliver in big games
    Beltre over Cliff Lee
    Oh no I know you aren't saying this crap after all the garbage you spewed saying that Derek Holland and Josh Beckett >>> Lee because "Lee doesnt deliver in big games". Then arguing that Nolan Ryan was just an above average all-time pitcher because "he didnt get a ton of wins or deliver in big games".

Beltre singlehandedly won a postseason game last year and has done a number of great things for the Rangers postseason run last year. Not his fault when relief pitching craps the bed or Cruz becomes a vagina on a game winning catch.

Not his best game today, but if someone deserves a bit of a pass its him. He has by far been the best player on the team this season. Josh and Young have already gotten their passes for crappy big game play the last two years. Beltre deserves his for ONE crappy big game.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not sure where I ever said that hes the best offensive player in baseball or that he was superior to Cabrera.

Oh no I know you aren't saying this crap after all the garbage you spewed saying that Derek Holland and Josh Beckett >>> Lee because "Lee doesnt deliver in big games". Then arguing that Nolan Ryan was just an above average all-time pitcher because "he didnt get a ton of wins or deliver in big games".

Beltre singlehandedly won a postseason game last year and has done a number of great things for the Rangers postseason run last year. Not his fault when relief pitching craps the bed or Cruz becomes a vagina on a game winning catch.

Not his best game today, but if someone deserves a bit of a pass its him. He has by far been the best player on the team this season. Josh and Young have already gotten their passes for crappy big game play the last two years. Beltre deserves his for ONE crappy big game.
    ROFL bringing up personal discussions up here. you. you and we're done.

Thread Information