Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a shot at the Triple Crown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we are safe in saying that whomever wins, 2nd and 3rd place are gonna be the best 2nd and 3rd placers in years. Especially 2nd.

Today i'd say it's Cabreras to lose for sure. Hamiltons injury should assure he will not chase down C with RBIs (130-123) and may end up getting passed in HRs as he sits idle (42-41), but Trout could reverse his slump and nip Cabrera for the batting ave crown (.333-.326).

30 HRs 50 stolen bases .325 ave and Gold Glove defense coming in 2nd seems highly likely.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if cabrera gets the triple crown, hes getting the mvp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At bats for the season:

578 Cabrera
    520 Hamilton
    519 Trout

MultiRanger what are your docs saying? Need to get Hamilton back ASAP. Cabrera passing him due to his being out is taking the thunder out of this race.

A great accomplishment by Cabrera regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The 21-year-old Trout is the youngest player with a 30-30 season. He needs two stolen bases to become only the third player ever with 30 homers and 50 stolen bases."

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    As much of a Tigers fan I am as well as a fan of Cabrera, I thought this article made some great points on the MVP debate in favor of Trout.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degr...vp-season.html

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    off. 45 years in the making baby, he's the MVP.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    off. 45 years in the making baby, he's the MVP.
    I don't care what good points that ing article makes, Cabrera has a chance at a triple crown, Trout is officially dead in the water for MVP.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    if cabrera gets the triple crown, hes getting the mvp.

He's getting it even if he doesn't win the triple crown. f.y.i.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Cabrera just hit his 44th and jumps 4-5 points ahead of mauer in batting average.

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    off, Hamilton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trouts not going down without a fight.
    4-4 so far.

Wish he hadn't have tried the stretch double so he could have racked up another stolen base.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Split the award--both are deserving and both have their positives/negatives. Trout has 129 runs scored only two AL rookies have ever scored more in the history of baseball...ALL-TIME Ted Williams (131) and Joe DiMaggio (132) along with the 30HRs, 40+ SBs, and 80+ RBIs from the leadoff position. He is responsible for 41% of Pujols' RBIs and is as dominant in the outfield as he is on the plate. Cabrera is also having a monstrous season vying for the first triple crown in batting since 1967. He's not too bad in the field and is well deserving of the award. However, it would be tough to not give the award to a 21-year old who had missed a month and did what he did in a shorter amount of time.

I'd give it to Trout/but either way wouldn't be a travesty like last year's NL MVP race...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trout has 129 runs scored only two AL rookies have ever scored more in the history of baseball...ALL-TIME Ted Williams (131) and Joe DiMaggio (132)
    .....Trout had missed a month and did what he did in a shorter amount of time.
    Wonder where Trout stacks up in runs per at bat ratio vs Ted Williams and DiMaggio?
    129 runs in 551 at bats so far.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wonder where Trout stacks up in runs per at bat ratio vs Ted Williams and DiMaggio?
    Very good question--I know the season was shorter in '36 and '39 but not to the extent of a month--which Trout missed--and you know the first month was Trout's Spring Training as well, so what he is doing is remarkable. Also the argument in 1936 is that less might've been harder 16teams vs. 30teams. It's a shame that he will have to wait another year to ply his trade in the postseason. Because this playoffs is going to be boring as all heck without the Angels to say the least.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    No question that Mike Trout is the better all around player. The thing that always gets these debates going is how the voters define the word valuable. And I think thats why theres even a debate. If the award was for best player there wouldnt really be an argument. It would be Trout. But the MVP doesnt always go to the best player or best all around player. Sometimes its best player on a winning team. Sometimes its for most dominant offensive stats. Im going to agree with Gemini and say that either guy is deserving and it wouldnt be a travesty for one guy to win over the other. Both deserving. If Cabrera wins the TC its probably his especially since the Tigers are in the playoffs and the Angels just fell short. But if Trout wins I dont think anyone should be up in arms over that choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an odd metric, but I'll indulge you:

Trout has scored .205 runs per plate appearance in 2012 and .234 runs per at-bat.

Those numbers are better than Williams and Dimaggio for the totality of their careers, but isn't as good as the best years that either Williams or DiMaggio had in that regard -- particularly Williams. In 1941, 1942, and 1946 (Williams didn't play at all between 1943 and 1945), Williams did the following:

1941 -- .223 runs/PA; .296 runs/AB
    1942 -- .210 runs/PA; .270 runs/AB
    1946 -- .211 runs/PA; .276 runs/AB

In fact, Williams was better than .234 runs/AB in 10 different seasons and was in the ballpark of that figure in three other seasons (1939 -- .232 runs/AB; 1957 -- .229 runs/AB; 1960 -- .233 runs/AB).

As an aside: every time I look at Ted Williams' career, I marvel to think about what he his totals would have looked like if he had been able to play those 3 years from 24-26.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an odd metric, but I'll indulge you:

Trout has scored .205 runs per plate appearance in 2012 and .234 runs per at-bat.
    muchos gracias.
    Can you see how Trout did vs this years compe ion? (Without jumping thru too many hoops).
    Ted Williams yes all he did and then missing the war years to boot.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I honestly never knew the MVP award was so dependent on defense and stolen bases until this year.

Yet Gold Gloves are almost purely based on offense.

Learn something new everyday, I guess. Baseball is an incredibly fickle sport, it seems.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I honestly never knew the MVP award was so dependent on defense and stolen bases until this year.

Yet Gold Gloves are almost purely based on offense.

Learn something new everyday, I guess. Baseball is an incredibly fickle sport, it seems.
    That because Trout's offense isnt too shabby either. Thats what makes this a closer race. You have "amazing offense" vs "great offense with great defense/baserunning".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean like it should be every year, that being a players overall game?
    Unless there is some off the charts DH.

Look, we all know it's the Media Valuable Player award.
    We're all pretty okay with Cabrera as the Triple Crown winner also pulling the MVP.
    That some, make that many think Trout had a better overall year is fine too.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    That because Trout's offense isnt too shabby either. Thats what makes this a closer race. You have "amazing offense" vs "great offense with great defense/baserunning".
    You mean like it should be every year, that being a players overall game?
    Unless there is some off the charts DH.

Look, we all know it's the Media Valuable Player award.
    We're all pretty okay with Cabrera as the Triple Crown winner also pulling the MVP.
    That some, make that many think Trout had a better overall year is fine too.
    I am not going to delve too deeply into the numbers because its quite boring. Bottom line: The Tigers play in a real ty division.

Also a bottom line: When the Tigers needed Cabrera to be at his best (August+September) he was better than ever.
    When the Halos needed Trout to be at his best (August+September) he was his worst all season.

Take it as it is.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thats why whoever wins will be deserving.

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Close this stupid ass thread

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Fishboy gets R.O.Y. that is alll.

Thread Information