Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Too much relies on special effects, sound tracks, directors needing to stun an audience, back in the day it was all about the acting involved. Movies were more thought out, the actors more realistic. That gang of...

Clark Gable
    Gregory Peck
    Marlon Brando
    Henry Fonda
    Jimmy Stewart
    Gary Cooper
    Humphrey Bogart

...as good as it got.

Give me...

On the Waterfront
    Citizan Kane
    Casablanca
    High Noon
    Treasure of the Sierra Madras

....any day of the week over what we see today.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    the actors more realistic.
    I do agree that the acting is noticeably worse in earlier films. One has to be a giant nostalgia to claim otherwise.
    In what universe is the acting more realistic? Your nostalgia is clouding your mind.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In what universe is the acting more realistic? Your nostalgia is clouding your mind.
    You're so right I'm so wrong. There ya go slick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Thank you.

One has to be brain damaged to think that the acting in older movies was realistic. If anybody acted like that today, they would be laughed at.

People don't behave like that in real life. It's unnatural.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thank you.

One has to be brain damaged to think that the acting in older movies was realistic. If anybody acted like that today, they would be laughed at.

Whatever you say.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Who's seen M (1931)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thank you.

I was just about to say that. Some of it was too corny back in the day

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was just about to say that. Some of it was too corny back in the day
    That can be said about today's acting also.

Exactly what years do we go from old to modern?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Not really. There are bad actors, yes, but overall, modern acting is far more realistic.

Avante, are you honestly trying to say that the acting in the 50's was more realistic?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah realistic I think is the right word. Disregarding complete hacks like Miley Cyrus and other jokes that somehow have got in movies if you compare the actors of old cinema which I would say is before Bonnie and Clyde (1967) to today's then modern cinema has more realism. And the excuse of using SPX to wow audience's that is true to an extent but all the greatest modern films such as Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Shawshank etc required little to no over the top SPX

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not really. There are bad actors, yes, but overall, modern acting is far more realistic.

Avante, are you honestly trying to say that the acting in the 50's was more realistic?
    Whatever you say.

silverblk mystix
    Thank you.

Maybe in the earlier era - it was natural.

The times have changed and people have a different way of acting/behaving.

Just look at a Shakespeare play- people haven't spoken that way in centuries- but it was the way back then.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I didn't ask you about what I say.

You are really terrible at answering extremely simple questions, which is why it's almost impossible to have a serious conversation with you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Maybe in the earlier era - it was natural.

The times have changed and people have a different way of acting/behaving.

Just look at a Shakespeare play- people haven't spoken that way in centuries- but it was the way back then.
    I honestly don't believe that people in the 30's, 40's and 50's behaved in that over-exaggerated way in their actual lives. Human beings just don't behave that way.

This is about the evolution of acting, really. In the era of silent films, actors mugged for the camera because they were limited from a technical standpoint, and that was the easiest way for them to convey emotion. With talkies came better acting, and over the years, acting has become much more natural.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I didn't ask you about what I say.

You are really terrible at answering extremely simple questions, which is why it's almost impossible to have a serious conversation with you.
    I once posted a long long list of every 1000 yard rusher in NFL history, complete with the college those guys went to. So here comes this guy with..."you spelled Georgia wrong".... That's who you are, one of those only interested in making others look bad/stupid. That's why I'm not at all interested in dealing with you, you aren't looking to have an intelligent conversation with anyone, you are just looking to criticize and bug. That's all you are about and it sucks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation with you. I just want to talk about acting with you, but I see that your feelings are hurt.

I guess this is my fault, really, because all you do is lie and deflect.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation with you. I just want to talk about acting with you, but I see that your feelings are hurt.

I guess this is my fault, really, because all you do is lie and deflect.
    I thought you learned your lesson about calling me a liar? Or have you forgot?

Trust me little fella you aren't hurting feelings you are simply getting in the way.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Acting styles changed as Strasberg's "Method" became more prevalent.

That's not an opinion or something that's really up for debate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I thought you learned your lesson about calling me a liar? Or have you forgot?

Trust me little fella you aren't hurting feelings you are simply getting in the way.
    Just because you were right about one thing doesn't change the fact that you are a liar.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I honestly don't believe that people in the 30's, 40's and 50's behaved in that over-exaggerated way in their actual lives. Human beings just don't behave that way.

This is about the evolution of acting, really. In the era of silent films, actors mugged for the camera because they were limited from a technical standpoint, and that was the easiest way for them to convey emotion. With talkies came better acting, and over the years, acting has become much more natural.
    The technical limitations certainly had a lot to do with it, but so did the fact that in the early years of film actors often came from a stage and/or vaudeville tradition. Performances weren't realistic because everyone on the soundstage was still playing to the balconies.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just because you were right about one thing doesn't change the fact that you are a liar.
    See that's exactly what I was talking about...BINGO! You are only here to bug people, why?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The technical limitations certainly had a lot to do with it, but so did the fact that in the early years of film actors often came from a stage and/or vaudeville tradition. Performances weren't realistic because everyone on the soundstage was still playing to the balconies.
    Insofar as one can be right about this, you are quite right.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    See that's exactly what I was talking about...BINGO! You are only here to bug people, why?
    Why are you more interested in whining about the same old things instead of talking about the subject at hand? This thread is about old movies. If you want to , take it somewhere else.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why are you more interested in whining about the same old things instead of talking about the subject at hand? This thread is about old movies. If you want to , take it somewhere else.
    You talk movies by calling people a liar? How about toning it down a bit and trying to be cool, ya reckon? You don't call people a liar then..."if you wanna "... are you kidding me? Try dropping all that bull if you plan on talking to me, got it?

Dude, why do you do nothing but criticize? Answer my question. That's all you do, why?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I answered that question a million times. You are dishonest, because you know that I don't complain in every one of my posts or threads.

If you don't believe me, search my posts. You like to do that all the time, so do it now.

You talk movies by calling people a liar?
    No. That was after you tried to change the subject.

I'm tired of you whining. Are you going to talk about old movies or not? These stupid, whiny questions of yours are played out and irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Thread Information