Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Republican party is willing to have lower voting participation to save a tiny fraction of government spending?

Save some money at the cost of, essentially, a less representative government?

Is that about right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Voter Fraud’ Protection Group Submitted Forged Do ents To Ohio Election Officials

Volunteers with True the Vote, a Tea Party group that claims it is trying to fight voter fraud by challenging the right of voters to vote, may have committed fraud themselves. Plunderbund, an Ohio-based political blog, reported Monday that members of the group attempted to sign up as poll observers in African American-heavy precincts in central Ohio, but may have forged signatures to do so.

According to the report:
    The forms have been rejected unanimously by all members (Rs and Ds) on the board. True the Vote observers will not be allowed in Franklin County polling locations tomorrow. Poll monitoring organizations expect they may still be stationed outside of polling locations. Board member Zachary Manifold told us he was ”amazed that a group that goes to such extreme lengths to claim voting fraud in Ohio would knowingly forge or misuse signatures to try to gain access to Franklin County polling locations.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ged-do ents/

aka, SCREW THE VOTE

tea baggers! Freedom! Liberty! Water the Tree of Liberty with Blood! and SCREW THE VOTE!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs can't win fairly, democratically, so they cheat, because they love America and democracy. voter suppression, insane gerrymandering, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs can't win fairly, democratically, so they cheat, because they love America and democracy. voter suppression, insane gerrymandering, etc
    It used to be the tactics of southern dems even when they came over to the GOP but now its bleeding into northern states like WI.

SCOTUS did consent to the independent redistricting boards and there is a movement to bring that about state by state. I am going to focus my donations there this election cycle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "..southern dems.."

.... are now, after Brown v Board of Education and the 1960s' PROGRESS for blacks, the Southern Repugs, aka, Nixon's Southern Strategy.

SCOTUS redistricting decision will have almost no effect in red states, and probably not anywhere. People have to vote for redistricting to be by commission, but when a red state is totally gerrymandered to be uncompe ive, such voting is useless. Red state Repug extremists can support any old wild extreme , including scorched-earth obstructionism, and know they will be re-elected.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Political majorities can last a long time, but are neither eternal nor static. Red states won't be red forever; the same goes for blue states.

Your unceasing counsel of despair in voting and the political process sorts ill with your progressive aims. How can political change happen if people don't fight for it and vote for it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Political majorities can last a long time, but are neither eternal nor static. Red states won't be red forever; the same goes for blue states.

Your unceasing counsel of despair in voting and the political process sorts ill with your progressive aims. How can political change happen if people don't fight for it and vote for it?
    fight all you want, the game is rigged. See how the Dems screwed the banksters, put them in jail. See the Repugs disenfranchise Ms of legit voters behind the lie of voter fraud, to maintain a solid hold on red districts, red legislatures, red states.

In practice, just how do you, it detail, plan to reverse the above?

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we go through this every 4 years, but, what problem is Voter ID supposed to solve again?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we go through this every 4 years, but, what problem is Voter ID supposed to solve again?
    It's the Repugs, so everything they say or do is a lie, fraudulent, pandering to the worst of their old white male, nativist, racist, jingoist, Bible humping, gun fellatin base.

Voter fraud is straw man lie they inflame their white male nativist, racist base with, used to disenfranchise non-white voters, even in solidly red states. Purple states are the real payoff.

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing. There are not enough voting fraud cases to justify it and the Republicans should drop it. At the same time the idea that having to present an ID to vote is some how racist and trying to the blacks so they can't vote is pretty much even worse propaganda from the left. It is pretty ridiculous on both sides.

ter McGee

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "present an ID to vote is some how racist and trying to the blacks so they can't vote is ... " how the racist, xenophobic Repugs suppress the non-white vote.

Calling it leftist propaganda is racist Repugs' slander, defending their voter suppression, disenfranchisement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing. There are not enough voting fraud cases to justify it and the Republicans should drop it. At the same time the idea that having to present an ID to vote is some how racist and trying to the blacks so they can't vote is pretty much even worse propaganda from the left. It is pretty ridiculous on both sides.

ter McGee
    On the Dems side it's the "Diebold is rigging the electronic voting machines "...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the Dems side it's the "Diebold is rigging the electronic voting machines "...
    counting fraud delivered OH in 04, and is much more effective than voting fraud. Repugs block all "open source" suggestions for electronic voting machines because they "count" on their Repug suppliers and their close source machines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there you have it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    voter fraud, one the fantasies in the Repug parallel fantasy universe

Repug COUNTING fraud, eg Ken Blackwell Ohio 2004, actually throws elections, along with Repug gerrymandering and voter, voting suppression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to think voter ID laws were a solution in search of a problem. By now it seems clear voter ID laws are crafted to suppress voting.

I’ve been tracking allegations of fraud for years now, including the fraud ID laws are designed to stop. In 2008, when the Supreme Court weighed in on voter ID, I looked at every single allegation put before the Court. And since then, I’ve been following reports wherever they crop up.

To be clear, I’m not just talking about prosecutions. I track any specific, credible allegation that someone may have pretended to be someone else at the polls, in any way that an ID law could fix.

So far, I’ve found about 31 different incidents (some of which involve multiple ballots) since 2000, anywhere in the country. If you want to check my work, you can read a comprehensive list of the incidents below.

To put this in perspective, the 31 incidents below come in the context of general, primary, special, and municipal elections from 2000 through 2014. In general and primary elections alone, more than 1 billion ballots were cast in that period.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ballots-cast/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By now it seems clear voter ID laws are crafted to suppress voting.
    now? How naive, you're at least a decade late.

dubya's priority, from their appointment in 2001, for his US Attorneys was to find voter fraud.

They found just ONE, so many of them got fired after "botched-war-president" dubya was just barely re-elected.

The US Atty who sent Repug Duke Cunningham to prison for accepting $Ms in bribes also got rewarded by being fired

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wisconsin Republican Rep. Glenn Grothman boasted that the state’s voter ID law will help whoever the Republican presidential nominee is to win Wisconsin in the general election. “I think Hillary Clinton is about the weakest candidate the Democrats have ever put up,” Grothman said. “And now we have photo ID, and I think photo ID is going to make a little bit of a difference as well.”

This comment is being treated as a Kinsley gaffe, but it’s actually pretty standard fare for Grothman, who has been a hard-charging proponent of voter ID laws and the political benefit they confer on Republicans. Back in 2012, when Grothman was a state senator, he was asked by ThinkProgress if the Wisconsin voter ID law could help Mitt Romney win the state, and he said yes, explaining that only Democrats commit voter fraud. “I think if people cheat,” he said, “we believe the people who cheat are more likely to vote against us.”

These remarks are part of a growing number of comments from Republican officials and conservative activists stating in plain terms that voter ID laws are fantastic at suppressing the Democratic vote.

It’s impossible to ignore the partisan motivation here, just as it’s impossible to ignore the actions Republican-led states are taking in conjunction with voter ID laws to make it more and more difficult for Democratic cons uencies to vote.

In Mississippi, the state passed a law requiring a photo ID to vote, and then announced that it was closing driver’s license offices in “predominantly black and poor” counties across the state (the state’s actions areunder federal investigation).

In Wisconsin, they’ve dismantled the independent board in charge of supervising elections, devoted little resources to educating voters about the new laws, and made it more difficult to conduct voter registration drives.

None of this is particularly subtle: they are targeting Democratic voters.

As Charles Pierce writes, the Wisconsin example and others like it “are the result of a deliberate national campaign to restrict the franchise in new and different ways,

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/06/wisc...to_say_it_too/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2016, 15 states will have new voting restrictions in place for the first time in a presidential election. The new laws range from strict photo ID requirements to early voting cutbacks to registration restrictions.

Those 15 states are: Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

(This number decreased from 17 to 15 when the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down a series of voting restrictions in North Carolina in late July 2016, and a federal court enjoined North Dakota’s photo ID law in August 2016. Despite recent court victories mitigating the impact of restrictive laws in Texas and Wisconsin, those states are still included because the requirements are more restrictive than what was in place for the 2012 presidential election.)

This is part of a broader movement to curtail voting rights, which began after the 2010 election, when state lawmakers nationwide started introducing hundreds of harsh measures making it harder to vote.

Overall, 20 states have new restrictions in effect since the 2010 midterm election.
    https://www.brennancenter.org/voting...irst-time-2016

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs are hyper-concerned about the sanc y of the vote like they are freaked about protecting women's health.

If nothing else, you have to respect, to admire the Repugs' relentless, vehement commitment to dishonesty, lying, straw men, terminal hypocrisy.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    This is part of a broader movement to curtail voting rights, which began after the 2010 election, when state lawmakers nationwide started introducing hundreds of harsh measures making it harder to vote.
    https://www.brennancenter.org/voting...irst-time-2016
    But it's not a right for people to vote twice.

Thread Information