Page 23 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, Texas Tribune corrected Texas on the instant. Doubt we'll hear the GOP or the President walk it back, though.
    My target wasn't the Tribune, it was the TX officials laying the report out to the press like a big pile of cocaine after a drug bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. All about advancing the narrative.

Shame on Texas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jim Crow, and Jaime Cuervo, alive and well in nativist, racist Repugs' hole TX

Texas Republicans Are Lying About Voter Fraud to Justify a Massive, Racist Voter Purge

On Jan. 25, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
    tweeted a “VOTER FRAUD ALERT” that quickly rocketed around the internet.

Texas Secretary of State David Whitley, Paxton asserted, had discovered that approximately “95,000 individuals identified” as non-citizens are registered to vote in the state, “58,000 of whom have voted” in Texas elections.

Whitley promptly
    urged counties to begin purging these 95,000 people from their voter rolls,

demanding proof of citizenship within 30 days or canceling their registrations.

Donald Trump joined the action, tweeting on Jan. 27 that Whitley’s numbers “are just the tip of iceberg.” Voter fraud, Trump
    wrote, “is rampant. Must be stopped. Strong voter ID!”

The situation in Texas is a mess.

But it is a dangerous mess.

Paxton, a notorious foe of voting rights, is creating chaos and confusion in order to justify a radical purge of Texas’ voter rolls.

As three new lawsuits filed by an array of civil rights groups argue, this purge isn’t just slapdash and sloppy—

it’s discriminatory and illegal.

Paxton and his allies are taking a page from
    Kris Kobach’s playbook of shock and awe:

Toss out a wildly inflated claim of non-citizen voting,

then use the ensuing panic to justify mass disenfranchisement.

It is a dirty and duplicitous tactic.

And thanks to America’s increasingly conservative judiciary, it might actually succeed.

Texas’ voter fraud pandemonium is actually a combination of

Kobach’s two favorite moves:

creating dubious lists of allegedly fraudulent voters to disenfranchise, and

forcing people to prove citizenship in order to cast a ballot.

Despite this obvious defect,

Whitley has pushed ahead with the purge.

Even after warning election officials that

the list might be faulty, he has not retracted it,

leaving counties to implement a purge known to target naturalized citizens.

Even worse, he has pressed ahead with a plan to

create a new list of alleged non-citizen voters every month, directing voter registrars to “take action” upon receiving each new batch of names.

Election officials will send a single notice to these voters informing them that they are set to be removed from the rolls.

If they do not provide a birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization proving U.S. citizenship within 30 days, they will be purged.

Paxton and Whitley are not purging non-citizen voters;

they are purging naturalized voters who have a fundamental right to participate in elections like any other citizen.

51.7 percent of naturalized U.S. citizens in Texas are Latino, while 28.8 percent are Asian.

In the 2018 midterm election, Texas Latinos more than doubled their turnout

compared to the 2014 midterms, casting 19.1 percent of all votes.

MALDEF argues that the purge “will disproportionately and negatively affect Latinos,”

since “the Latino population in Texas has a higher ratio of naturalized citizens to native-born citizens.”

These are powerful arguments backed by substantial evidence of official malfeasance.

But the Supreme Court, bolstered by Trump’s judicial nominees, have
    mastered the art of waving away proof of racism to uphold voter suppression laws.

(Plus, the court
    already gutted the Voting Rights Act, whose now-defunct pre-clearance provision could’ve halted a voter purge like this one.)

Just last June, the Supreme Court’s conservative majority
    ignored the obvious discrimination behind Texas’ racial gerrymander,

writing that courts must “presume” the “good faith” of legislatures.

Paxton and Whitley’s attack on minority voters is about as blatant as racist disenfranchisement can get in 2019.

But there’s a depressingly good chance that our Trump-packed courts will pretend to see no evil.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ers-purge.html

Latinos DOUBLING their turnout in 2018 midterms has panicked the bag Texas Repugs and bag racist Texans who elected them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Asshat extraordinare

THE TEXAS TWO-STEP ON VOTER FRAUD: MAKE OUTLANDISH CLAIMS, THEN WALK THEM BACK
    Incendiary claims by the Texas secretary of state that 95,000 non-citizens are registered to vote in Texas are already being quietly walked back by Texas state officials, who made headlines with what appear to be poorly do ented charges. Already, some counties have been informed that some, perhaps thousands, of registered voters deemed ineligible to vote were wrongly flagged as potential noncitizens. The state also faces at least one lawsuit from the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), charging state officials with voter intimidation.

Texas Secretary of State David Whitley (R) initially claimed to have found 95,000 possible noncitizens registered to vote statewide, some 58,000 of whom have cast a ballot at some point since 1996. State officials issued an advisory last week that advises local election officials to verify the names that fall in their jurisdictions.

. . .

“It’s a lot of what appears to be baseless claims and stoking the voter fraud fears,” Anthony Gutierrez, executive director of the progressive group Common Cause Texas told WhoWhatWhy. “There is no evidence of anything despite the tweets we saw from our president.”

President Donald Trump was quick to publicize the story on Twitter and use it as a strategy to promote stronger voter ID laws.
    . . .

https://whowhatwhy.org/2019/01/31/th...alk-them-back/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas’ Election Chief Deflects Scrutiny On Bogus Noncitizen Voter List

Texas’ election chief on Thursday defended giving prosecutors a list of 95,000 potential noncitizens on the state’s voter rolls before vetting the information, which turned out to wrongly include scores of people who were naturalized before casting legal ballots.

Secretary of State David Whitley deflected sharp questions from Texas lawmakers over whether his office made mistakes in his first public comments since his office in January called into question the citizenship of tens of thousands of voters since 1996.

“I will readily level with you

that we can always improve the process,” Whitley said.

“But the data is what the data is,

and we were confident that was the best data we could get.”

He was pressed over why his office immediately turned the numbers over to Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, explaining

he wanted to get the information “in the hands of someone who could do something with it.”

Three days later, Paxton sent a campaign fundraising email to supporters with the headline,

“VOTER FRAUD ALERT.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...+%28TPMNews%29

TX Repugs all confirmed, corrupt, racist bags because that's what their Christ would do.

Whitley nominated because Repugs know he'll commit disenfranchisement, counting fraud, and whatever Paxton wants to keep Repugs in power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naturalized citizens flagged by the Sec of State are now suing Texas:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/02...eview-lawsuit/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as Christ would do, hate the redskins

Utah Republicans Are Willing to Break Up Counties to Keep Elected Navajo Officials Out of Power

As of 2017,

white folks made up 47 percent of San Juan County’s population

while Native Americans, mainly the Diné (Navajo Nation), cons uted 49 percent.

Despite the near even split, the

San Juan County Commission has historically been a comfortably white, Republican-dominated outfit,

as the Diné had never held more than one of the three seats on the county commission.

This was by design—
    a federal court judge ruled in December 2017 that the maps in San Juan County had been racially gerrymandered to keep the Diné from power and ordered they be redrawn.

a member of the Diné and the Democratic Party, joined fellow Navajo Nation citizen and Democrat Ken Maryboy in November 2018 in historically flipping the racial and political makeup of the board.

Ever since the county maps were redrawn, nearly every San Juan County member of the GOP has fought tooth and nail to strip the rightfully elected Diné representatives of their power.

HB93 is the latest attempt by non-Natives in Utah to keep the Indigenous population from power.

The bill would allow Utah counties to split if a majority of voters were in favor of doing so.

https://splinternews.com/utah-republ...ign=2019-02-14

These are the same Utah Repug shtibags who ignored overwhelming popular vote to expand Medicaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pols pick the voters, not the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah fighting hard to maintain a white man's government.

Poor whitey, so beleaguered!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Man, this testimony in NC9 is ridiculous. I can't see the election's being certified, but as always it comes down to a partisan vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, this testimony in NC9 is ridiculous. I can't see the election's being certified, but as always it comes down to a partisan vote.
    What's happening?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    McCrae Dowless' stepdaughter testified against him and admitted to altering absentee votes herself yesterday. Today it was revealed that the early votes were tabulated and the results printed at the polling site as soon as early voting was over and several people saw those results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCrae Dowless' stepdaughter testified against him and admitted to altering absentee votes herself yesterday. Today it was revealed that the early votes were tabulated and the results printed at the polling site as soon as early voting was over and several people saw those results.

Still, a partisan vote can sweep it all under the rug and into the history books.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Still, a partisan vote can sweep it all under the rug and into the history books.
    Well that particular election at least. Sounds like one member of the board would have to cross party interest lines to either certify or call for another election if I heard the composition right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas now admits a significant number of people it flagged were mistakenly singled out.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01...mpression=true
    Sokay. This kind of stuff makes it easiser for us to get people to the polls.

When I make the case to people on blockwalking efforts, this is the kind of thing I tell them to look up. "don't take my word for it, they are doing it in plain sight".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well get rid of all ID laws by that logic. More people buy beer that are over 21 so just open up the floodgates. Brilliant.
    I can prove bank fraud exists.

I can prove that 19 year olds will attempt to buy beer.

Can you prove voter fraud at rates greater than one in billions of votes?

By your logic, we should put Democrats in camps and set them on fire.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Well that particular election at least. Sounds like one member of the board would have to cross party interest lines to either certify or call for another election if I heard the composition right.
    Yeah composition is 3 Dems and 2 Reps, and you need 4 votes to get a new election.

This seems like a complete stalemate. I could easily see a scenario where this seat isn't filled until 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By your logic, we should put Democrats in camps and set them on fire.
    Never said such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said such.
    would you be against it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never said such either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contradicting his father’s previous denials, the son of Republican Mark Harris testified Wednesday that he told the candidate multiple times that he had concerns about the political operative hired to run an absentee ballot campaign in Bladen County.

The testimony from John Harris rebutted suggestions by Harris and his campaign that they’d seen no red flags about McCrae Dowless, who is now at the center of allegations into voting irregularities in the 9th Congressional District.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article226492265.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Harris, an assistant U.S. attorney in the Eastern District of North Carolina, first raised concerns about ballot collection in Bladen County on the night of the Republican primary in 2016. Mark Harris finished second in that race, but third-place finisher Todd Johnson collected 221 of 226 mail-in absentee ballots in Bladen County in the race.

John Harris again raised concerns in April 2017, a day after Harris first met with Dowless about running an absentee ballot program in Bladen and Robeson counties. First in a phone call and then in subsequent emails, the younger Harris warned his father of both political and legal ramifications of hiring Dowless. Harris said his father told him McCrae assured them he operated legally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He spoke to his parents on April 7, 2017, a day after the candidate met with Dowless.

“I told him that collecting absentee ballots was a felony,” John Harris said, “and I would send him the statute that collecting ballots was a felony.”

Later that morning, he emailed his father the statute that makes such actions a felony in North Carolina. He also emailed his fears abut Dowless, saying he believed the Bladen County operation was on “thin ice.”

“The key thing I am fairly certain of they do that is illegal is they collect the completed absentee ballots and mail them all at once,” he emailed his parents.

In still another email that night, he said, “Good test is if you’re comfortable with the full process he (Dowless) uses being broadcast in the press.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “I love my dad and I love my mom,” John Harris said as his father cried. “I certainly have no vendetta against them, no family scores to settle, OK? I think they made mistakes in this process, and they certainly did things differently than I would have done them.”

Thread Information