Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean like the flaky voting machines that almost got Kerry elected in 2004?
    OH Repugs were manning those Repug-supplied machines, not the Dems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall, the study do ented a major shift during the past decade. Twenty-one states passed new voter ID laws and seven states tightened existing ID requirements. Altogether, 31 states have requirements for all eligible voters to show identification prior to casting a ballot at the polls on Election Day, the report said. In addition, six states passed new proof-of-citizenship requirements and 18 states imposed new restrictions on voter registration drives during the past 10 years.

Since voter fraud was the ostensible reason for the new laws, the senators asked for details on "any prosecutions or convictions for voter impersonation fraud within each state during the previous 10 years." Citing a lack of data, the GAO was unable to do ent voter fraud. (An earlier report by the Brennan Center for Justice found that substantiated cases of voter fraud were extremely rare, comprising, for instance, just 0.0004 percent of votes cast statewide in the 2004 New Jersey general election - and that photo ID would not have prevented any of the problem votes.)

The GAO plans a follow-up report next year analyzing the impact of the new state laws on voters' ability to exercise their rights. That report will include a state-by-state analysis of the cost and accessibility of do ents required to register to vote and obtain photo IDs, as well as data on the race, gender and socioeconomic status of the voters affected by the new requirements. The second phase of the report also will explore how many provisional ballots are cast and how many are ultimately counted in each state.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/imo/me...GAO-13-90R.pdf

http://readersupportednews.org/news-...etailed-by-gao
    I find it very disappointing how few red teamers are willing to take on their political leaders for pushing Voter ID laws in such a cynically manipulative way.

You really do live in an alternate reality.

Very sad.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So I'm not getting a link?
    This is probably the funniest one.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...gerly_into.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you have a funny story about a contentious caucus.

Anything about actual vote fraud?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So you have a funny story about a contentious caucus.

Anything about actual vote fraud?
    WTF do you call an attempt to invalidate a caucus?

But, I'll throw you one more. It's an oldie but a goodie.
    http://www.dallasobserver.com/2002-0...rgin-couriers/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF do you call an attempt to invalidate a caucus?

You do understand the difference between a party caucus and a general election, correct?

Assuming, even briefly, that there is no difference, would this event have been mitigated by any voter ID law?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    btw...I use Dallas Observer alot. It's the only newspaper with anything approaching objectivity in this burg. Schultz is the uber-liberal, but he does call 'em as he sees 'em.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You do understand the difference between a party caucus and a general election, correct?

Assuming, even briefly, that there is no difference, would this event have been mitigated by any voter ID law?
    I was commenting more in the context of a desperate party making desperate moves...not necessarily bound by the voter ID law nonsense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Court Order, At Least Five Pennsylvania Counties Still Telling Voters They Need ID To Vote

Last week, a Pennsylvania court mostly suspended that state’s voter ID law for the upcoming election. Under the court’s order, voters will still be asked for ID at the polls, but they will still be able to cast a regular ballot — not a provisional ballot — if they are unable to show it.

Yet, despite this court order, at least five Pennsylvania county websites still falsely inform voters that they need to show ID in order to cast a regular ballot:

• Butler County: Butler County’s website still tells voters that “[s]tarting with the November 2012 general election, Pennsylvania requires voters to show an acceptable photo identification to vote at the polls.”
    • Bucks County: Bucks County’s website falsely claims that “[i]f you do not have a photo ID or are indigent and unable to obtain one without payment of a fee, you may cast a provisional ballot, and will have six days to provide your photo ID and/or an affirmation to your county elections office to have your ballot count.”
    • Perry County: Perry County echoes Bucks County’s false statement that voters without IDs will only be able to cast provisional ballots.
    • Luzerne County: Luzerne County’s website is similarly incorrect, also falsely claiming that “ALL voters will be required to show a photo ID before voting at a polling place.”
    • Delaware County: Delaware County’s website falsely claims that “Pennsylvania law now requires voters to show approved photo ID to vote at the polls.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ed-id-to-vote/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

47 absentee ballots? Out of how many? I will readily grant some shady goes on all the time.

How exactly would a voter ID law have prevented this?

I have always maintained these voter ID laws were, and are, rather cynical attempts by Republican party officials to suppress Democratic voting blocs. These attempts leverage a valid concern about the integrity of elections with the lever of conspiracy theory, and the lack of many on the right's inability to think critically about an issue.

(snip)
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 10-10-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: re-reading things brings out a different light that makes me think i was less than fair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Court Order, At Least Five Pennsylvania Counties Still Telling Voters They Need ID To Vote

Last week, a Pennsylvania court mostly suspended that state’s voter ID law for the upcoming election. Under the court’s order, voters will still be asked for ID at the polls, but they will still be able to cast a regular ballot — not a provisional ballot — if they are unable to show it.

Yet, despite this court order, at least five Pennsylvania county websites still falsely inform voters that they need to show ID in order to cast a regular ballot:

• Butler County: Butler County’s website still tells voters that “[s]tarting with the November 2012 general election, Pennsylvania requires voters to show an acceptable photo identification to vote at the polls.”
    • Bucks County: Bucks County’s website falsely claims that “[i]f you do not have a photo ID or are indigent and unable to obtain one without payment of a fee, you may cast a provisional ballot, and will have six days to provide your photo ID and/or an affirmation to your county elections office to have your ballot count.”
    • Perry County: Perry County echoes Bucks County’s false statement that voters without IDs will only be able to cast provisional ballots.
    • Luzerne County: Luzerne County’s website is similarly incorrect, also falsely claiming that “ALL voters will be required to show a photo ID before voting at a polling place.”
    • Delaware County: Delaware County’s website falsely claims that “Pennsylvania law now requires voters to show approved photo ID to vote at the polls.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ed-id-to-vote/
    Yeah, I saw that. It looks less like something deliberate, and more like simple human error.

Human error accounts for a lot of things in this world that Occam's razor can be applied to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I saw that. It looks less like something deliberate, and more like simple human error.

Human error accounts for a lot of things in this world that Occam's razor can be applied to.
    with all the noise around the court order, and no doubt Dems checking this stuff, Occam siding with the Repug disenfranchisers isn't credible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with all the noise around the court order, and no doubt Dems checking this stuff, Occam siding with the Repug disenfranchisers isn't credible.
    I would differ, knowing how lacksidasical (sp?) county governments can be. One would expect a few laggards to be a bit slow to update their websites.

If they kept the mis-information after being actively informed and questioned about it, that would be something else entirely. Did that happen in any case so far?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    47 absentee ballots? Out of how many? I will readily grant some shady goes on all the time.
    See Teaspoon of Sewage in a Barrel of Fine Wine metaphor.

How exactly would a voter ID law have prevented this?

I have always maintained these voter ID laws were, and are, rather cynical attempts by Republican party officials to suppress Democratic voting blocs. These attempts leverage a valid concern about the integrity of elections with the lever of conspiracy theory, and the lack of many on the right's inability to think critically about an issue.

(snip)
    I was commenting more in the context of a desperate party making desperate moves...not necessarily bound by the voter ID law nonsense.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I would differ, knowing how lacksidasical (sp?) county governments can be. One would expect a few laggards to be a bit slow to update their websites.

If they kept the mis-information after being actively informed and questioned about it, that would be something else entirely. Did that happen in any case so far?
    These are questions thinkprogress.borg are incapable of asking, tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

I couldn't remember either. Is that an old fart word?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lackadaisical

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    OH Repugs were manning those Repug-supplied machines, not the Dems.
    I'm talking about the Ohio 2004 elections where Bush won with two of the three types of voting machines. Kerry won with the new electronic ones.

Are you saying republicans tried to throw the election to Kerry?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm talking about the Ohio 2004 elections where Bush won with two of the three types of voting machines. Kerry won with the new electronic ones.

Are you saying republicans tried to throw the election to Kerry?

What's the problem with that graph?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What's the problem with that graph?
    I was making a point to bouton's with it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Voter Fraud Billboards in Ohio Target Minorities

"When you have the words 'felony,' 'voter,' and 'fine' all the the same message, and by placing it where it is, the only message that you are intending to send is that this is a threat to you if you vote," Cleveland Councilwoman Phyllis Cleveland told the Plain Dealer (see video below). "It's just a blatant attempt to keep people in this community, particularly black people and poor people, from voting."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012...inorities-ohio

OH Repugs are dirty mother ers, financed by 1% mother ers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was making a point to bouton's with it.
    That more Op-Scan machines were used on Democratic counties?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

If memory serves, WC's saw on that was only really mildly convincing, as it didn't control for a host of variables. i.e. much ado about nothing, par for the course when people start claiming widespread voter fraud.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "didn't control for a host of variables"

such as: all the machines were under the control of the OH Repug operatives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Colorado Republican Party has terminated its contract with a firm hired to run voter registration and get-out-the-vote operations here after allegations of fraud, FOX31 Denver has confirmed. The move came at the recommendation of the Republican National Committee, leading to the termination of contracts with Strategic Allied Consulting in seven swing states, following an investigation of voter fraud by the company in Florida.

“The Colorado Republican Party takes any threat to the voting process very seriously,” said state GOP spokesman Justin Miller. “Following an alleged incident by an employee of Strategic Allied Consultants outside of Colorado we terminated our relationship.”
    In Colorado, the state GOP has spent $466,643 — roughly half its total budget — with Strategic Allied Consulting, the firm in question.

Already this year, the RNC has funneled more than $3.1 million to the company, just formed in June by Nathan Sproul, an Arizona voting consultant who has run other firms that have been accused of dumping registration forms filled out by Democrats and other improprieties aimed at helping Republican candidates.

And FOX31 Denver has confirmed that the young woman seen registering voters outside a Colorado Springs grocery store in a YouTube video, in which she admits to trying to only register voters who support Mitt Romney, was indeed a contract employee of Sproul’s company.
    http://kdvr.com/2012/09/28/colorado-...o-voter-fraud/

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No.

Every one was having a tizzy over the now Diebold electronic machines, saying they would be rigged for the republicans. Of the three types of machines shown, only the Diebold system (E-Vote) had a majority of Kerry votes. The Op-Scan and Punch systems in place for years had Bush votes at the majority.

Thread Information