Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answer is self-evident. Do I need to spell it out for you?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Self-evident? Not really.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The sign clearly states Voter Fraud is punishable.

This is not news.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The sign does not state Voting is punishable.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you cannot see the difference between these two sentences, then it's likely that thinkprogress is parsing this for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does this scare people away from voting?
    Easy answer.

If you have any doubts as to whether all your paperwork is in order, you will self-select out of voting.

Given the overall history of white police with black citizens, you have a rather sizeable portion of the population who will be wondering if this won't be another case of DWB.

If you can't figure out how it might be intimidating, then you need to start reading about people's reactions and thoughts to such signs.

If you don't think those signs are part of an active dirty tricks campaign to supress Democratic voting blocks, then you haven't been paying attention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you cannot see the difference between these two sentences, then it's likely that thinkprogress is parsing this for you.
    I never figured you for the naive type. I can't figure out if it is naive, or simply a case of confirmation bias, because it is pretty obvious.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Easy answer.

If you have any doubts as to whether all your paperwork is in order, you will self-select out of voting.

Given the overall history of white police with black citizens, you have a rather sizeable portion of the population who will be wondering if this won't be another case of DWB.

If you can't figure out how it might be intimidating, then you need to start reading about people's reactions and thoughts to such signs.

If you don't think those signs are part of an active dirty tricks campaign to supress Democratic voting blocks, then you haven't been paying attention.
    I dont understand how you could conceivably be in doubt as to whether your paperwork is in order or not. You either registered to vote, or you didn't. Doesn't seem to be much grey area in between.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I never figured you for the naive type. I can't figure out if it is naive, or simply a case of confirmation bias, because it is pretty obvious.
    Not naive, nor particularly biased. I feel there are dishonest arguments on both sides of this issue. Thus far, we seem to only examine one side.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy answer.

voter fraud is a massive problem!

sincerely,

red teamer

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    voter fraud is a massive problem!

sincerely,

red teamer
    Thanks. The strawman was a big help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont understand how you could conceivably be in doubt as to whether your paperwork is in order or not. You either registered to vote, or you didn't. Doesn't seem to be much grey area in between.
    If you have a history of being victimized, even if your paperwork was in order, you might understand. That is kinda the point the people objecting to the signs are trying to make. I am really trying to scale back being snarky, but it seems to me you are trying to rationalize or explain away something morally reprehensible, simply because you realize at some level it is Republicans doing this. This is really some rather nasty stuff, and indefensible.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pretty sure I'm on record as stating that voter fraud aint all that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. The strawman was a big help.
    It isn't a strawman. That is the direct implication of the sign, or at least the ostensible excuse. Do you really think someone would take the expense of the billboard who didn't think it was a problem, or say it was?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you have a history of being victimized, even if your paperwork was in order, you might understand. That is kinda the point the people objecting to the signs are trying to make. I am really trying to scale back being snarky, but it seems to me you are trying to rationalize or explain away something morally reprehensible, simply because you realize at some level it is Republicans doing this. This is really some rather nasty stuff, and indefensible.
    Again, you place the binds of defense on me. I'm not defending anything.

It's entirely possible I don't have the real life context to relate.

I can easily add that to the list of things I've not experienced. Doesn't preclude asking questions concerning it now, does it?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It isn't a strawman. That is the direct implication of the sign, or at least the ostensible excuse. Do you really think someone would take the expense of the billboard who didn't think it was a problem, or say it was?
    As I stated earlier, I think there are dishonest arguments on both sides of this issue.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There's a meta argument at work here I think....something related to the feed a man once vs teach a man to fish.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yet questioning the conventional wisdom = defending a reprehensible act?

Really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP registration worker charged with voter fraud

By Michael Isikoff, NBC News
    A campaign worker linked to a controversial Republican consulting firm has been arrested in Virginia and charged with throwing voter registration forms into a dumpster.

The suspect, Colin Small, 31, was described by a local law enforcement official as a "supervisor" in a Republican Party financed operation to register voters in Rockingham County in rural Virginia, a key swing state in the Nov. 6 election. He was arrested after a local business owner in the same Harrisonburg, Va., shopping center where the local GOP campaign headquarters is located spotted Small tossing a bag into the trash, according to a statement Thursday by the Rockingham County Sheriff’s office. The bag was later found to contain eight voter registration forms, it said. The arrest was reported Thursday night by WWBT-TV in Richmond.

The case comes on the heels of a controversy last month over the activities of Strategic Allied Consulting, an Arizona based consulting firm that was paid $3 million by the Republican National Committee this year to register voters in five battleground states, including Virginia. The firm, run by veteran GOP operative Nathan Sproul, was recently fired by the RNC following reports that its workers had submitted hundreds of su ious voter registration forms in Florida.

Sean er, communications director for the RNC, told NBC News Thursday night that Small has now been fired as well, and that he had been directly employed by a payroll company called Pinpoint, which was previously used by Strategic Allied Consulting to pay workers for the GOP registration drive being run by the consulting company.

Small lists himself on his LinkedIn resume as a “Grassroots field director at Republican National Committee” from August 2012 to the present. But er denied that Small was ever directly employed by the RNC and said he will be “told to take that down.” Small was reportedly in jail Thursday night and could not be reached for comment.

Strategic Allied Consulting also tried to distance itself from the arrested campaign worker. “The relationship between Strategic Allied and Colin Small ended on September 27th, when our firm stopped running voter registration programs in Virginia and other states. We had no contact with Small or any other voter registration worker at any point thereafter,” a spokesman for the firm said in a statement emailed to NBC News. “The reprehensible conduct it appears Small engaged in happened nearly three weeks later. Strategic Allied had nothing to do with such regrettable, illegal activity. We hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

er, the spokesman for the RNC, said that after the RNC and the Republican Party of Virginia severed their relationships with Strategic Allied Consulting, the state party continued to use some of the firm's same workers, including Small, by paying them through Pinpoint.

The Daily Rundown's Chuck Todd talks to NBC's Michael Isikoff about Florida voting fraud and what's being done about it now.
    “The actions taken by this individual are a direct contradiction of both his training and explicit instructions given to him,” said Pat Mullins, the chairman of the Virginia Republican Party, in a statement Thursday night. “The Republican Party of Virginia will not tolerate any action by any person that could threaten the integrity of our electoral process."

The Rockingham County Sheriff’s office said that, after an investigation and "lengthy" consultations with local prosecutors, Small was arrested and charged with eight felony counts and four misdemeanors under Virginia voter fraud laws and one misdemeanor count of obstruction of justice. “There is no indication that this activity was widespread in our jurisdiction; it appears to be very limited in nature but there is the possibility that additional charges may be filed in the future if it is deemed appropriate,” said the statement from Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson.

It is not clear what motive Small might have had for throwing away the registration forms. Voters in Virginia do not register by party so there is no way to know whether the recovered registration forms were from Democratic or Republican voters. One GOP source said that a campaign worker could be tempted to throw away forms that have incomplete information since there are penalties under Virginia law for not submitting completed registration forms within 15 days after they are signed. It could not be determined Thursday night if the forms allegedly tossed by Small were incomplete.

Sproul’s companies have been accused by Democrats in the past of engaging in tactics aimed at suppressing voter turnout, including throwing away Democratic registration forms. Sproul has denied any wrongdoing and no charges against his companies have been filed. But authorities in Florida said they are conducting a statewide investigation of Strategic Allied’s operations there following reports of su ious registration forms submitted by its workers, including forms with phony addresses and similar looking signatures. Sproul blamed the su ious forms on a few “bad apples” who were working for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Candidate voted twice in same elections, records show

By Joe Holley | Wednesday, October 10, 2012 | Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:44am

Fleming Candidate for County Commissioner Precinct 1 / HC A Republican precinct chairman running for a seat on the Fort Bend County Commissioner's Court has cast ballots in both Texas and Pennsylvania in the last three federal elections, official records in both states show.

Bruce J. Fleming, a Sugar Land resident running for Precinct 1 commissioner, voted in person in Sugar Land in 2006, 2008 and 2010 and by mail in each of those years in Yardley, Pa., according to election records in both states.

Fleming, who owns a home in Yardley, voted for Hillary Rodham Clinton in the 2008 presidential primary in Texas. His wife, Nancy Fleming, who is listed as a resident of Yardley, voted by mail in both places in the 2010 general election, records show.

"The less said is better," Bruce Fleming said when contacted by phone late Tuesday afternoon. "Until we can determine the situation, I can't really comment."

According to the Texas Election Code, knowingly voting or attempting to vote more than once in an election was a third-degree felony until the Texas Legislature upgraded the offense to a second-degree felony in 2011. "These are serious allegations, and until they're investigated, we're going to reserve comment," said Fort Bend County GOP Chairman Mike Gibson.

Gibson said Fleming had been "extremely involved with the party" in recent years and noted he was precinct chairman of the year in 2010.

Although Fort Bend Democrats insisted that Fleming be removed from the ballot, Gibson said that cannot be done at this late date. "If he's elected, the only way to get him out would be if he was convicted of a felony, which this would be."

The Secretary of State's Office does not have authority to investigate allegations of voter fraud, but refers complaints to the Attorney General's office for investigation. Complaints or allegations of voter fraud can be filed directly with the Attorney General's office or local authorities for investigation.

"I'm, frankly, shocked at the double, secret life that my opponent has been living for the past six years," said Fleming's Democratic opponent, in bent Commissioner Richard Morrison. "I know a lot of precinct chairs that are Republicans here in Fort Bend County, and I know them to be hard-working, they play by the rules and they would never stoop to anything like this."

Morrison and fellow Fort Bend Democrats took aim at Catherine Engelbrecht, founder and president of True the Vote, a Houston-based tea party group dedicated to combating voter fraud nationwide and pushing for voter photo identification. Engelbrecht lives in Fort Bend's Precinct 1.

"While local and national Republican leaders were tilting at the windmills of imaginary voter fraud, real voter fraud was taking place under their noses," said Fort Bend County Democratic Chairman Steve Brown. "It demonstrates that the Republicans' crusade against voter fraud is either disingenuous or ill- conceived - maybe both - to be totally unaware of a serial fraudulent voter like Fleming while aggressively harassing little old ladies attempting to vote in Briargate (a Houston neighborhood in Fort Bend County)."

Logan Churchwell, a spokesman for True the Vote, said a check of the organization's records indicated that Fleming had requested a True the Vote weekly email newsletter in 2010, but had never had an official role with the organization."In principle, True The Vote is more than concerned with fraudulent absentee voting," Churchwell said in an email. "In the past two weeks, TTV turned over 99 cases of potential interstate voter fraud by way of absentee ballots."

According to his campaign website, Fleming, 60, has been a Texas resident for more than 20 years. He worked in sales management for Novartis Pharmaceuticals and Boston Scientific Corporation before becoming a McDonald's franchisee.

Don Bankston, a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee, said the party would file complaints with Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, the U.S. Justice Department and Bucks County, Pa., officials.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thanks for your comprehensive research GGA. It's an exclusively Red Team crime.

Oh wait. It's not.

You're smarter than this. Stop boutonsing the thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for your comprehensive research GGA. It's an exclusively Red Team crime.

Oh wait. It's not.

You're smarter than this. Stop boutonsing the thread.
    just tweaking the brain dead red teamers..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lived in a border town for many years, which is predominantly democrat. The use of politicaras who sell the votes of older people they befriend was common act and very difficult to overcome. Having said that I am not so naive to believe that such actions are limited to one part or another. It is de able when such actions occur regardless of your affiliation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy answer.

Hey RG, give me a break and others. What damn paperwork, voter registration card. Voter suppression, you mean like the black panther duds standing at the polling place with clubs in the hand.

Last time I checked, the sign is correct.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey RG, give me a break and others. What damn paperwork, voter registration card. Voter suppression, you mean like the black panther duds standing at the polling place with clubs in the hand.

Last time I checked, the sign is correct.
    Hey x, how many voters did those jokers intimidate. Surely you have testimony from dozens of people who were blocked from actually entering the polling place.

No, you don't. Sorry you're so afraid of black people.

Thread Information