Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Trout overrated rookie baserunner who can't push a team with Pujols into the playoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Cabrera should be the MVP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should and will

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Trout's team had a better record in a tougher division while the Tigers took advantage of playing in a crappy division. Just because the Angels didn't make the playoffs didn't mean they were the better team. The Angels were the better team and Trout is the better player and had a better season overall. Only voters born in the 1950s think Cabrera should be the MVP.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Trout is over-rated sons.....triple crown should mean MVP...God bless

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Trout is a uva player and the MVP should not be based on anything but this one season.

But how in the are you going to justify giving the MVP to:

a) a player whose only stat line that lead the league is stolen bases?
    b) a player whose team did not make the playoffs?

I understand his overall game is great/awesome (besides his noodle arm in center), but there is this other guy who lead the league in all 3 major offensive categories. Who also, if you really think about it, plays in a very pitcher-friendly park that would have smoked the second place HR and RBI if he played anywhere else.

I mean, is this still an argument if Cabrera played in Yankee stadium where Curtis- ing-Granderson apparently has become one of the league's premier power hitters in 3 short years? US Cellular? Coors Field? etc. Nevermind those parks, how about putting Cabrera in any park not named Comerica where the chances of hitting a ball out to left-center, center and right center are about slim and none. Shorten the prches in Comerica by about 20-30ft in those areas and its not even a question, Cabrera would contend for the Triple Crown damn near every year.

I dont think its an exaggeration to say Cabrera hits for average just the same in those parks, but his power numbers and RBIs go through the roof. 50 HRs + 150 RBIs and I think thats being conservative. Is it still an argument when Cabrera laps the field in HR and RBI then?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Congrats to Cabrera for being the first person to win the Triple Crown in 45 years...

Playing 16 games against the Indians, Royals, Twins, and the White Sox gave him the best chance to do this. Welcome to the Astros...now we almost have enough fodder in the AL West for the top 3 teams in the division.

Ok, enough sour grapes he did something pretty amazing. He'll probably win the MVP and deservedly so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steroids really work

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Pretty awesome.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks Trout deserves the MVP is not living in the real world. It's not even close. the RECENTLY made up WAR stat....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Thank you Mike Trout and the Angels for sweeping the White Sox 2 weeks ago." - Miguel Cabrera

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trout is a uva player and the MVP should not be based on anything but this one season.

But how in the are you going to justify giving the MVP to:

a) a player whose only stat line that lead the league is stolen bases?
    b) a player whose team did not make the playoffs?
    by all means, i think cabrera will win, but dont make it seem like you cant justify a Trout MVP.

a) Trout leads the leagues in stolen bases and runs....and is ONLY .04 behind in average. He's also the first player in HISTORY to get atleast .320/30 HR/45 SB
    b) Trout came in when the Angels were i think 6-14 (correct me if i am wrong)....and the Angels still have a BETTER record then the Tigers and play in a much harder Division. So imo, the whole "playoff" arguement actually makes cabrera look worst.

once again, grats on cabrera, but dont make it seem like its a clear decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ... No one has a triple crown in 45 years and someone thinks he shouldn't win MVP. I don't know much about his defense but I've heard it's good enough. Cabrera should win it

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Cabrera sucks balls defensively and the Triple Crown is an arbitrary selection of three flawed stats, tbh.... cool accomplishment? Sure, but not an MVP-decider for me... I think Trout should be the MVP, tbh....

The Amish Rifle Ryan Fitzpatrick's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    3 flawed stats? Holy I've heard it all now

yes, the TC criteria should be # of BB, HBP, and infield singles.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    btw, that's what makes Cabrera's TC that much more impressive. Leading the league in batting when he doesn't register cheapies like infield singles and bunt singles. He beasted his way to .330

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Christ... No one has a triple crown in 45 years and someone thinks he shouldn't win MVP. I don't know much about his defense but I've heard it's good enough. Cabrera should win it
    so your saying if he didnt get that ONE extra homerun comapred to hamilton, then he wouldnt get the TC thus making him less likely to be MVP?

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    1) Lol at Trout's SB stat- why steal when Cabrera's already there with a 2 run RBI double?
    2) Angels have Albert ing Pujols. Fielder is nowhere near Fatty's level and we don't have VMart

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    3 flawed stats? Holy I've heard it all now

yes, the TC criteria should be # of BB, HBP, and infield singles.
    HR: not really meaningful in judging a player especially in the post-roid era.... ISO is better at quantifying power anyway

RBI: dependent on who's around you in the lineup

Batting average: not adjusted for park factors, defense, leverage, or just plain luck

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    1) Lol at Trout's SB stat- why steal when Cabrera's already there with a 2 run RBI double?
    2) Angels have Albert ing Pujols. Fielder is nowhere near Fatty's level and we don't have VMart
    lol .04 avg more then Trout
    Lead off position - Trout leads in runs; #3 in Line up - Miggy leads in RBI
    lol Trout missing 20 games only has 14 less HR's then Miggy.

Offensively, Trout is closer to Miguel....defensively, Miggy cant even sniff Trout's jock.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    so your saying if he didnt get that ONE extra homerun comapred to hamilton, then he wouldnt get the TC thus making him less likely to be MVP?
    Yes, honestly.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    HR: not really meaningful in judging a player especially in the post-roid era.... ISO is better at quantifying power anyway

RBI: dependent on who's around you in the lineup

Batting average: not adjusted for park factors, defense, leverage, or just plain luck

If hitting, RBIs and HRs are flawed TC stats, please provide 3 others

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    lol .04 avg more then Trout
    Lead off position - Trout leads in runs; #3 in Line up - Miggy leads in RBI
    lol Trout missing 20 games only has 14 less HR's then Miggy.

Offensively, Trout is closer to Miguel....defensively, Miggy cant even sniff Trout's jock.
    Only one player is close to the ring right now

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    RBI is a flawed stat. Depends on teammates heavily. CN is right about that.

Also, Trout's team had a better record. The Angels had one of the best records in the league since Trout arrived.

Batting average and RBIs aren't that important anymore compared. While Trout had a higher OBP, Miggy had a higher SLG and OPS. Trout was 2nd in OPS and 3rd in SLG.

Basically, Miggy was the superior hitter while Trout was the superior defender and base-runner which isn't that important. Both guys have a great case either way.

Thread Information