My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes played Bertans team in an ABA game:

http://www.abaliga.com/game/61/Union..._FullStatistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im a big fan of Baynes, and I think I made that clear around the Olympics. He would suit the Spurs perfectly, and knowing the Aussie sets and he could slot in with minimum fuss mid sesaon.

Ok here is what you need to know about Baynes.

He is big, he knows it, and some how finds a way to move his girth at good pace, and he has a surprisingly quick first step for a 6'11 white guy. His mid range game kind of ends around the 10 feet mark, but he actually can drop step to create space if he ends up further out from the rim.

Spot on with the passing, he can throw some howlers at times where he gets delusions that he is Steve Nash, but its more born from youthful energy than a low IQ. Quick step aside Baynes doesnt look for holes when he is posing up, he is far more interested in making them himself. Will not under any cir stance shirk the contest, this sometimes boarder lines on short tempered which will see him get a few technical and unsportsmanlike fouls through his journey.

For me he is probably the most promising big man prospect from our country at the moment. We need a big set under the rim for us and Aron wont die wondering.

In many ways he is like Blair just taller and angrier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He put up another double double last night in an ABA Liga game: http://www.abaliga.com/game/67/Krka-..._FullStatistic

So it looks like his rebounding numbers aren't a fluke and with the way the Spurs rebounding numbers have been so far, he looks more and more like an attractive option.

Currently Baynes is the only Euroleague baller to post impressive double-double averages of 15 points and 10 rebounds per contest. Perhaps most amazingly he currently ranks number one in Euroleague on their Performance Index Rating, which basically means he is statistically the best player in the world outside of the NBA.

“(Baynes’) Olympic experience gave him the confidence boost he needed to perform at the level he’s on now,” said Daniel Moldovan earlier this week. Baynes only got a true feel for basketball at 17 years of age so his rise to achieve all this less than 9 years after really taking up the sport is quite remarkable. Because Aron started playing ball so late, he is only now coming to his peak, something even he acknowledges. “I have been working hard for the last few years, trying to get my body and basketball IQ up to a level where I can be an impact player, and I think I am up there right now. I just want to play well and be a presence on the court.”
    http://www.aussiehoopla.com/nba-team...e-aron-baynes/
    Last edited by ace3g; 11-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, I think its time we get on that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So lets be serious now, is therre a legit chance theyll bring him this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes' team is eliminated from the Euroleague. If a NBA team wants to sign him, now is the right time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be following the twitter feeds to see what happens the next couple of days.

Not 100% sold on him mostly because he leads the team in TOs (bad passer) and sort of runs the court like Bonner...

Still his rebounding stats can't be ignored, and seems to have a physical game (not afraid to bang in the paint).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes with 19 pts and 16 boards in ABA game:

http://www.abaliga.com/game/74/Union..._FullStatistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes with 11 and 10 in Euroleague game:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/resul...e=98#!boxscore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this compe ion will hinder the high number of fouls he commits. In the club are aware of his possible departure in brief though GM Matevz Zupancic team recognizes that "it is a wonderful player but has not yet received any concrete offer. Not yet considered possible sale, is a quandary, since we move forward with our goals, especially the finish in the top five of the ABA League ".
    Moreover, the Australian gave an interview to DELO which recognized that "all I knew before coming to Slovenia was its location on the map." Snow met while studying at Washington but "in Australia on New Year's Day we are at 30 degrees. Curiosity I have to live that day in Slovenia". Another thing he likes the country is its small size. "In two hours you're out of the country. Australia team was closer to four hours." Laughingly admitted that "l word pronounce it cost me most at first was 'Ljubljana'".
    http://www.piratasdelbasket.es/html/...-euroliga.html

* translated with google

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we please dump Blair and get Baynes, at least he has height

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes plays for my hometown club (I watch all games, Euroleague and ABA league) and I can say that he is REALLY good player, and I think he has improved a lot since the beginning of the season. At first games he had a lot of problems with offensive fouls, in many games he quickly got 2 fouls in 1st Q and therefore had to sit for the rest of 1st Q and many times whole 2nd Q, in order to prevent getting 3rd foul. Usually he didn't play that good if he got a few quick fouls, but he has really improved in few months and now he rarely has this kind of problem. He often didn't play so good if he got quick fouls, probably psychological thing, but as this is not really happening anymore, his performance has got better and better

I think he would fit with the Spurs, he has height, he is a great rebounder (best in Euroleague, averages 10 boards per game, and, btw, also leads Euroleague in double doubles), he can score (even from mid-range, he is a pretty decent shooter), and imo he is really fast for a man of his height and weight.

Personally, I'd have him on Spurs roster over Blair anytime, so Spurs, do it, now!

Oh and one more thing.. There was interview with "director" of Union Olimpija who said that they would consider selling Baynes after they finish Euroleague (which is exactly today against Real Madrid), but not for every price, of course. I heard they already turned down an offer from European club, because they didn't offer enough. Aron once said in an interview that his goal is to play in NBA one day... Hope to see him there soon!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two areas Baynes can help the Spurs:

1. Rebounding

2. Finishing around the rim, he doesn't need much room to lift off and dunk

Another question, does Baynes have a buyout of any kind? From some articles it sounds like he doesn't, others it does.

Also I wonder if he would consider (if offered) joining the NBA after Euroleague, because based on the ABA site, there are still 14 more rounds of games (ends March 23, 2013).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I read about that here:

A prominent Tel Aviv insider said that Maccabi looked into 6'-foot-11 big man Darko Planinic but his €400.000 buyout is a road bump. Another potential recruit for the Israeli powerhouse is Euroleague double-double machine Aron Baynes, who might leave Union Olimpija Ljubljana

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/...on-baynes.html

Stay away Maccabi !!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's strange because a couple of days ago it was said in an interview that Baynes is getting salaries regularly (yeah, that's not really usual in Union Olimpija, if you were wondering...), to prevent him from leaving without buyout... I guess one side is not talking the truth..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    game against Real Madrid starting now:

http://live.euroleague.net/gamesjs.a...84GXM54C37&z=1

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13 point 8 boards. If the spurs dont sign him soon another nba team will

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, clearly the best big man in Europe and by extension outside of the NBA.

Would already know most of the Spurs sets.

Its a no-brainer.

Sign

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good thing about Baynes, he is less of a risk then say trading for Derrick Williams (won't give up any players). If Baynes doesn't work out, you still have time to evaluate and look at trades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have any idea if he is being concidered? I do remember reading an earlier article stating that 2 Western Conference teams where looking at him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have any idea if he is being concidered? I do remember reading an earlier article stating that 2 Western Conference teams where looking at him
    That is all we know at this time, there were 2 WCF teams interested, no mention of the names, if he is really considering the NBA hopefully some names start to appear in rumors.

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like he could be a solid pickup. Honestly, having a solid third/fourth big and having Bonner as potentially instant offense as the fifth big would be ideal. Blair can back his bags and hit the streets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Baynes worked out it would give Pop more options than just going small if a "big" rotation isn't working. See who works best between Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, and Baynes.

One thing, you would need to put some passers around Baynes because unlike those other 3 above, he isn't the greatest passer.

Thread Information