My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13 million a year for a 37 year old

yikes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Tigers spend like crazy mother ers this offseason, so it will blow up in their faces again. This is what makes the San Fransisco Giants a model franchise. They build their team the right way via low risk trades/signings and developing their farm. Zito was the only player they currently have that they bought, but he didn't do until this season.

Spending like the Yankees is a horrible route to go for 2 reasons:

1.) It is almost a lock NOT to work out.

2.) The ONLY team who can sustain that type of spending long term are the Yankees themselves.

The Giants method earned them 2 les in 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol sweep

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    off bandwagoner

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I hope the Tigers spend like crazy mother ers this offseason, so it will blow up in their faces again. This is what makes the San Fransisco Giants a model franchise. They build their team the right way via low risk trades/signings and developing their farm. Zito was the only player they currently have that they bought, but he didn't do until this season.

Spending like the Yankees is a horrible route to go for 2 reasons:

1.) It is almost a lock NOT to work out.

2.) The ONLY team who can sustain that type of spending long term are the Yankees themselves.

The Giants method earned them 2 les in 3 years.
    And the Yankees are the ones who have 27 World Series.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Not thrilled about the deal, but I'm okay with it. Hunter is getting overpaid, but sometimes teams have to overpay to get the guy they want. I think it's more of an issue when the guy getting overpaid is on a longterm deal, like a 5+ year contract. This deal is 2 years so even though he's getting overpaid, he'll be off the books after two seasons. Even if he's only good for next season, most teams have dead contracts on the payroll every year. I'd have preferred Justin Upton, but he has question marks too and he would have cost the Tigers prospects/players. So I'm okay with this deal and hopefully Hunter can be solid at least next season. More than his actual offensive production, seems like the Tigers really wanted the intangibles of leadership, mentorship, and defense that Hunter is expected to bring. Even if he's not a .300 BA, 20 HR guy, I think the Tigers want him to be that vocal leader and lead by example type of guy they could use in the clubhouse. Is that worth $13 million a year? Nope. But I think those were big factors in their decision to sign him and give him all that money.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    13 million a year for a 37 year old

yikes
    38 year old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense? Hunter definitely slowed in Center vs younger Hunter.

Hey if you milk a contributing year out of him and contend for another Series, more power to you Detroit.
    You got way more going for you right now then the Skoshas.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Hunter still ranked as a top 5 defensive RF in the entire major leagues last season based on UZR and UZR/150. The Tigers as a team had the second worst UZR and UZR/150 numbers at RF in the majors. He'll play RF for the Tigers and he won't just be a slight upgrade, he'll be a significant upgrade defensively. Austin Jackson in CF is arguably a top 5 or so defensive CF in the game, so Hunter doesn't have to make up for limitations in CF, just like he didn't have to with the Angels.

Still not all too thrilled with the signing, but defensively, he helps a lot.

Thread Information