Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    A EURO for Europe

Published: Thursday 6 December 2012, 17.45CET
    The UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament will be staged across the continent after today's UEFA Executive Committee decision to hold the event in various major cities throughout Europe.

The UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Lausanne today ©UEFA.com

The UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament will be staged in various major cities throughout Europe, following a decision taken by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in Lausanne on Thursday.
    The decision to stage a "EURO for Europe", rather than a tournament in one or two host countries, follows an initial idea revealed by the UEFA President Michel Platini in June. UEFA has consulted its member national associations about the proposal in the intervening period, and has received an extremely positive response, which has prompted Thursday's innovative move. The decision, which was not supported by Şenes Erzik, means that the UEFA National Team Compe ions Committee will now take responsibility to review the matter further in order to report to a future UEFA Executive Committee meeting.
    Among the other decisions taken, the committee decided that the ownership of football players by third parties should be prohibited as a matter of principle. Consequently, world football's governing body FIFA will be requested to issue relevant worldwide regulations prohibiting third-party ownership of players. UEFA, through its Professional Football Strategy Council (PFSC), would also be ready to implement a regulatory framework to ban third-party ownership arrangements in UEFA compe ions, should FIFA not take the appropriate steps. In that case, a transitional period of three to four seasons would apply.
    UEFA is continuing to be actively involved in the fight against match-fixing and corruption in football. Accordingly, the Executive Committee expressed its support for the introduction of sporting fraud as a criminal offence in national legislations throughout Europe.
    The committee approved the use of additional assistant referees at next summer's UEFA European Under-21 Championship final round in Israel. Two additional assistant referees – who stand on each goal line and watch in particular for penalty-area incidents – are already being deployed in this season's UEFA club compe ions, following a decision in July by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to incorporate additional assistants into the Laws of the Game.

Tbilisi will play host to the 2013 UEFA Futsal Cup finals in April 2013. In addition, the committee approved the name of UEFA's new youth compe ion for clubs, which will begin from the 2013/14 season – the UEFA Youth League. The trophy will be named after UEFA's honorary president Lennart Johansson.

The committee decided that the 2013/14 UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship final tournament will be staged in England from 26 November to 8 December 2013, with the qualifying rounds to be played in the summer and autumn of 2013. The final tournament counts as the European qualifying compe ion for the 2014 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup, which will take place in Costa Rica in March/April 2014, and not in autumn after the UEFA women's U17 finals, which are normally held in June and/or July.
    UEFA has prolonged its arrangement with long-term partner TEAM for the marketing of commercial rights including the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup initially for three additional seasons and, subject to performance, for an additional three-year term thereafter. As part of the new agreement, TEAM has appointed Michael van Praag, a UEFA Executive Committee member, and David Taylor, the CEO of UEFA Events SA, to its board.

Astana, Kazakhstan, and Vienna, Austria, were chosen by the Executive Committee as the respective venues for the 2014 and 2015 UEFA Ordinary Congresses. The XXXVII Ordinary UEFA Congress will take place in London on 24 May 2013.
    The first Executive Committee meeting of 2013 is scheduled for 25 January at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.

Related Items

©UEFA.com 1998-2012. All rights reserved.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Idiots!

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Platini needs to go

Like now

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    i dunno why theres a need for a governing body when all they do is jack and collect payments...fkn TOSB

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Wembley Stadium will host the Semi Finals and FINAL of Euro 2020.
    The other cites to host games will be:

Azerbaijan/Baku – three group games, one quarter-final
    Belgium/Brussels – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Denmark/Copenhagen – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Germany/Munich – three group games, one quarter-final
    Hungary/Budapest – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Italy/Rome – three group games, one quarter-final
    Netherlands/Amsterdam – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Republic of Ireland/Dublin – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Romania/Bucharest – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Russia/Saint Petersburg – three group games, one quarter-final
    Scotland/Glasgow – three group games, one round of 16 game
    Spain/Bilbao – three group games, one round of 16 game

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    Dumb

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    This is not exactly fresh news, i think it's nice to have something special for 60th year anniversary - it also gives some smaller nations a chance to hold the tournament.

My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    This is not exactly fresh news, i think it's nice to have something special for 60th year anniversary - it also gives some smaller nations a chance to hold the tournament.
    Economic hardships makes it near impossible for nations to host the Tournament by themselves, which is why you saw an increase in joint efforts like Poland/Ukraine & Swizz/Austria

But I will miss the aspect of a specific culture hosting the games. Now it's just random locations hosting a game. The Host use to be a large part of the Tournament.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    Bilbao? Not Madrid or Barcelona?

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Bilbao? Not Madrid or Barcelona?
    They have a new stadium (San Mames)

Most La Liga stadiums are old

My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    Is this more travelling for the individual clubs?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Spain
    Post Count
    Det quarterfinal in Azerbaijan will be a hot ticket...

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    What's the big deal? Europe is about the size of Brazil anyways.

My Team
    Spain
    Post Count
    Has anyone here been to the Euro Championship? Is it the sexfest the World Cup was? It would be pretty cool to see a soccer match in Europe.

My Team
    FIFA
    Post Count
    Has anyone here been to the Euro Championship? Is it the sexfest the World Cup was? It would be pretty cool to see a soccer match in Europe.
    Did not attend but read all about Poland hosting in 2012. The Tournament is a week or 2 shorter than WC. But it definitely had that specific host touch. Meaning the Nation planned and organized for 6 years and the people recognized it was their only shot at hosting a Global Football Tournament.

I know Poland had many positive changes from the Tournament. Improved roads & public relations/customer service. And obviously infrastructure as most notably Poland was finally able to build a new National Stadium on top of the one they've been using since the 1950's (The stadium was constructed mostly with rubble from buildings destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944). Note the stadium had turned into hosting swapmeets and was where as a child I saw the first Polish-Asian in my life.

Old:

New:

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt there will be the same commitment now with there being so many different sub-hosts. The host nation will not longer dedicate everything for one months time to showcasing their native culture and impressing the rest of the World. And that I will miss.

My Team
    Spain
    Post Count
    Did not attend but read all about Poland hosting in 2012. The Tournament is a week or 2 shorter than WC. But it definitely had that specific host touch. Meaning the Nation planned and organized for 6 years and the people recognized it was their only shot at hosting a Global Football Tournament.

I know Poland had many positive changes from the Tournament. Improved roads & public relations/customer service. And obviously infrastructure as most notably Poland was finally able to build a new National Stadium on top of the one they've been using since the 1950's (The stadium was constructed mostly with rubble from buildings destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944). Note the stadium had turned into hosting swapmeets and was where as a child I saw the first Polish-Asian in my life.

Old:

New:

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt there will be the same commitment now with there being so many different sub-hosts. The host nation will not longer dedicate everything for one months time to showcasing their native culture and impressing the rest of the World. And that I will miss.
    You're probably right. With it being saturated to other countries, the commitment to make it a spectacle will probably be lesser than in previous years. I don't know though as my interest in soccer is surface, but perhaps one day I'll correlate a trip to a region during the WC/or the European Championships.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Insert Mason Greenwood into the lineup for Rahim Sterling and just give the cup to England now.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    WTF. FrostKing? lefty?

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    This was recently?

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Ah beer...

Good times

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    This was recently?
    I believe so, maybe. Think there was some sort of international event in Italy is what I thought I might be seeing. But I don't think these two sides squared off on the pitch directly.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    lefty Just noticing a lot of these games (inc. Euro playoffs / qualifiers) on ESPN3 for reg subscribers.

Watching three games at once.

Israel-Scotland 0-0 Extra Time
    Ireland-Slovakia 0-0 Extra Time
    Northern Ireland-Bosnia 1-1 Extra Time

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    European Tournament 2021. I'll be there. Love watching the major Tournaments in nations that are competing. Locals are so invested. Polska keeps qualifying. This team is shaping up to be another deep European run.

This will arguably be the final pure Tournament for some of the European greats - Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Neuer.

Thread Information