Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    That takedown in the 1st killed Hendo...

Liz Carmouche Has big hands!

..... Im goin with the Marine!

how Faber lost that RNC

Post Count
    Well I take back what I said about Ronda/Liz being the Main event... Good fight, Liz really brought it... Ronda made some bad technical mistakes that almost cost her one but she is so athletic and talented she got through it. She and Miesha Tate is a good rematch if the Cyborg fight is still a no go...

Hendo Machida was a in crapfest. Nobody really did much of anything... I don't know who won, nor do I have the desire to watch that bore fest again. There went Hendo's last chance at Jones and the UFC strap...

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    Hendo got robbed, so I guess this means that going forward and being aggressive isn't what scores anymore.

Say what you want about women's MMA in general, but Rousey fights are exciting because you know exactly what she is trying to do and you're anxious to see if the opponent can nuetralize it. Carmouche fought great too!

Post Count
    Nobody got robbed. Hendo barely threw anything and neither did Machida.. Terrible fight..

This fight right here is the best of the night!

As a Hendo fan, I was sorely disappointed in that fight. Hendo's fear of Machida's counterstrike essentially neutrtilized him. However, if it wasn't for that one takedown in the first round, I think that Hendo wins that fight by decision. Also, this should've been the 5 round fight - I thought it was basically a tie after those rounds and 2 more could've opened it up.

Faber I think wind submission of the night -that was epic. And Carmouche showed some guts against Rousey tonight - that was a very entertaining 5 minutes.

Also, 4-1. Not bad considering I picked the fight that I cared about the most wrong...

I really think we should make a Spurstalk pool on Sherdog - anyone interested?

Also, 4-1. Not bad considering I picked the fight that I cared about the most wrong...

I really think we should make a Spurstalk pool on Sherdog - anyone interested?
    how does that work?

how does that work?
    Sherdog.com has a really good pick'em/fantasy set-up. You can create "pools" which are basically fantasy leagues - you pick the winner, the method, and the round for each fight. It keeps track of your stats against everyone else in your group - it's pretty sweet.

I'm in a a couple of different pools - a reddit one and one with a few college friends - and it's a lot of fun.

Needed this 5-0

Post Count

Post Count
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Wom...eadliner-50355

Liz Carmouche very nearly shocked the world.

Carmouche put Ultimate Fighting Championship women’s bantamweight leholder Ronda Rousey in serious trouble for the first time in her career before suc bing to what most viewed as inevitable: a first-round armbar in the historic UFC 157 headliner on Saturday at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Rousey (7-0, 1-0 UFC) elicited the tapout 4:49 into round one, bringing a decisive close to the first women’s bout in UFC history.

“Is this real life right now?” Rousey asked. “I’m not sure.”

Her latest triumph was easily her most difficult.

Carmouche (8-3, 0-1 UFC) capitalized on the judoka’s trademark aggression, moved to her back a little more than a minute into the fight and went to work on a submission of her own, first a standing rear-naked choke and then a neck crank. Rousey was in visible distress but fought through the pain and panic to free herself from Carmouche’s clutches.

The 26-year-old Olympic bronze medalist powered into top position and methodically softened Carmouche for her patented maneuver. The challenger tried desperately to escape, but Rousey was relentless in her pursuit of the finish and finally isolated the arm after an extended struggle.

“That’s one thing I’ve had to learn in MMA is to take my time, because in judo, I only have a few seconds,” Rousey said. “I was just trying to do it perfectly on the first try.”

Machida Dodges, Outpoints Henderson

In the co-main event, one-time light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida kept Dan Henderson at arm’s reach, peppered him with well-placed strikes and settled for a split decision. All three judges scored it 29-28, two of them for Machida (19-3, 11-3 UFC), who has won three of his last four fights.

Henderson (29-9, 6-3 UFC) never found a home for his fabled right hand. Machida delivered a surprising trip takedown late in the first round, cracked the former two-division Pride Fighting Championships leholder with knees and kicks in the second and survived a takedown from Henderson in the third. The 42-year-old Team Quest veteran tried for 15 minutes to close the distance on Machida but was oftentimes left swinging at air against the elusive karateka.

“He is a very tough fighter,” Machida said. “He’s a great opponent for me, and I have a lot of respect for him. My strategy tonight was to keep it standing up, and I think I did it.”

Faber Choke Submits Menjivar

Former World Extreme Cagefighting champion Urijah Faber became the first man to submit Ivan Menjivar in more than a decade, as he coaxed a tapout from the Tristar Gym export with a standing rear-naked choke 4:34 into the first round of their bantamweight battle.

Faber (27-6, 3-2 UFC) attacked with vicious elbows from inside the Menjivar (25-10, 4-3 UFC) guard, softening him with a relentless volley of ground-and-pound. As the El Savador native scrambled to his feet, Faber transitioned to his back, trapped him in a restrictive body triangle and cinched the choke for the finish.

“Ivan is a very crafty veteran, and he’s a pioneer in this sport,” Faber said. “To get a submission like that, I just attacked the neck. He had to honor that. He let me hold on too long, and that was the end. I made some adjustments, and I’m going to make more.”

Volume Striking Carries McGee

“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 11 winner Court McGee enjoyed a successful maiden voyage at 170 pounds, as the former middleweight cruised to a unanimous verdict over Josh Neer. All three cageside judges struck the same decision: 30-27 in favor of McGee (15-3, 4-2 UFC).

McGee overwhelmed the Pat Miletich protégé with a high-volume striking attack, mixing kicks to the legs and body with punches to the head. He almost finished it late in the first round, where he blasted “The Dentist” with a crippling left hook to the body and swarmed with punches on the ground. The notoriously durable Neer (33-13-1, 6-9 UFC) weathered the assault and mounted a brief comeback in round two, but he did not have enough in the tank to turn the tide completely.

McGee delivered a pair of takedowns in the third round, punctuating his first victory since September 2011.

Returning Lawler Stops Koscheck

Former EliteXC champion Robbie Lawler stopped Josh Koscheck with thudding first-round ground-and-pound in a welterweight showcase. In his first Octagon appearance since October 2004, Lawler (20-9, 5-3 UFC) sealed the deal 3:57 into round one.

Koscheck (17-7, 15-7 UFC) struck for a pair of takedowns but failed to keep his heavy-handed adversary corralled. The 30-year-old Lawler sprawled out of a takedown, blasted Koscheck with a left hand and polished him off with a series of right hands on the ground.

“I was raining down hard shots, and he was going to take a beating,” Lawler said. “He wasn’t coming back.”

White Mormon Pride The TroutBum's Avatar
    Post Count
    Ronda is eating 1 meal a day WTF? Weight cut for her can't be that brutal.. Most fighters eat 6 or so small meals a day.. She is working out on an empty stomach that is a terrible way to train..
    I'm going to send Ronda a tweet and let her know that her world-class nutritionist is a ing re and that dbreiden from Spurstalk knows what the is going on. When she hires you, bro, you better get me some free tickets.

Josh Koscheck v. Robbie Lawler - I'll probably regret this pick, but I'm with TroutBum on it. I just can't give myself any reason to root for Koscheck.
    You gain wisdom, child.

Post Count
    I'm going to send Ronda a tweet and let her know that her world-class nutritionist is a ing re and that dbreiden from Spurstalk knows what the is going on. When she hires you, bro, you better get me some free tickets.
    All i did was respond to what she said on the PrimeTime show dip .. The next episode she was clearly putting more in her system than just the one meal she was eating that night.. Feeling strong tonight i see...

Believe.
    Post Count
    The Koscheck stoppage was not a bad call. He probably could have continued the fight but he wasn't defending himself anymore, that's automatic stoppage. Nice to see Lawler back in the UFC.

The Henderson/Machida fight was probably one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Thank GOD I didn't have to watch 2 more rounds of that.

I see Ronda continue to pop arms like chicken legs for the foreseeable future. The girl has been doing armbars non-stop since she's 10. Everybody knows she's going to do it, she dares you to counter it and nobody can. That's also why her fights have gone from 30 secs to 4 minutes long: better opposition of course, and half of those girls' training are to counter the armbar. Yet they just can't do it.
    The reality is that their window of action is actually very short before the armbar inevitably comes. Maybe Cyborg could pull it off but we all know that fight will never happen.

Rousey is a PR gem. She's a great story, she's hot, of course the medias are jumping on her. That's why Dana made her the headline. She's a great opportunity to legitimate and expand the brand way beyond it's current status. Why wouldn't he exploit that to the bone?

Thread Information