Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Sorry, I don't particularly trust any third party. If given the option, I want guns as far away as possible from them. No CHL, no guards. If the tradeoff is that once in a blue moon some crazy goes on a rampage, so be it. As FWD said, there's nothing logical or rational about these people and if they want to hurt people odds simply are that they will.
    I can appreciate your position far more than posting security guards or police at schools. I still disagree, but I accept it as being rational.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    eh...thats a weakass argument and you know it but it's Christmas and I will let you slide. And FWIW ten round clips are the most reliable out there. it's the big clips that consistently have jam problems, even the OEM's. In Nam they would rather tape two 10's back to back than load 20's.
    I know it's weak, but I don't really have any better solution. Crazy people do crazy things. It's hard to guess when a person will go crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think that a revolver can keep with the rate of fire as a semiauto? Are you implying this?
    A revolver will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, just like a semi-auto. The only difference would be the reload point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The deciding factor on number of casualties is often whether or not there was someone there to to do anything about it moreso than whether or not the gunman used a semi-auto or a revolver, shotgun or whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before you ask...we average 54 fatalities a year from lightning strikes. Only about 10% are killed so there are another approximately 450 injured every year.
    gun related murders, suicides and accidents happen every day with far greater frequency than lightning strikes. restricting the evaluation of the social cost of firearms to mass shootings is a bit artificial, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gun related murders, suicides and accidents happen every day with far greater frequency than lightning strikes. restricting the evaluation of the social cost of firearms to mass shootings is a bit artificial, tbh.
    Isn't the argument about banning assault style weapons and extended mags to make mass shootings more difficult? Throwing gun suicides into the mix is a bit artificial, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "gun suicides"

homes with guns in the house have a much higher, like +50%, rate of suicide and homicide by guns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try to keep up boo. the argument isn't about banning all guns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try to keep up boo. the argument isn't about banning all guns.
    why bring up lightening?

semi-automatic massacres make for wonderful headlines for 25 dead, but the real disaster is homicide by guns in the 10K+ year.

Extreme regulation, including retro-active regulation, is the answer, but Congress will never do it, or even propose it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why bring up lightening?

semi-automatic massacres make for wonderful headlines for 25 dead, but the real disaster is homicide by guns in the 10K+ year.

Extreme regulation, including retro-active regulation, is the answer, but Congress will never do it, or even propose it.
    It was a comparison of frequency/deaths. Lightning is statistically more fatal than assault weapons in mass shootings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why bring up lightening?

Lightning wouldn't be accused of a homicide, dip .

The pic shows that more homicides occur by knives than by assault weapons. Ban knives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A revolver will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, just like a semi-auto. The only difference would be the reload point.
    Any gun will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and it is loaded. I will ask again. Do you think that you can pull the trigger and fire a revolver at the same rate you can pull the trigger and fire a semiauto?

It's obvious that the reload time is much slower even with a reload cylinder. Not to mention much more bersome and problematic than a bunch of springloaded clips.

Oh and how many homes in the US have an assault weapon versus a knife?

Oh and I love how you guys just ignored that study that I linked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The deciding factor on number of casualties is often whether or not there was someone there to to do anything about it moreso than whether or not the gunman used a semi-auto or a revolver, shotgun or whatever.
    This isn't even an anecdote. It's just bull that you say. It's straight from the school of repeat something enough and get enough people to believe the same then it will of course be true.

For all of you talk of deterrence I can show you several countries and the reduction in gun related injuries, crimes and of course deaths subsequent to a ban. For example the British Journal of Medicine study I linked before. So repeat your same ideology and ignore empirical studies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't even an anecdote. It's just bull that you say. It's straight from the school of repeat something enough and get enough people to believe the same then it will of course be true.

For all of you talk of deterrence I can show you several countries and the reduction in gun related injuries, crimes and of course deaths subsequent to a ban. For example the British Journal of Medicine study I linked before. So repeat your same ideology and ignore empirical studies.
    We aren't banning guns in the US, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We aren't banning guns in the US, dumbass.
    I never said that.

You don't even know about the gun laws of other countries. That is clear to see. If you did then you would understand that when I say 'ban' I don't mean ban every gun. There haven't even been any policy proposals in DC yet anyway.

Critical thinking CC. We talk about it all the time. You still suck at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said that.

You don't even know about the gun laws of other countries. That is clear to see. If you did then you would understand that when I say 'ban' I don't mean ban every gun. There haven't even been any policy proposals in DC yet anyway.

Critical thinking CC. We talk about it all the time. You still suck at it.
    critical thinking my ass. Of course I know there are countries that ban/highly restrict guns. See how well that has worked in Mexico?

And yeah, you suck at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    critical thinking my ass. Of course I know there are countries that ban/highly restrict guns. See how well that has worked in Mexico?

And yeah, you suck at it.

You know that other countries have stricter gun laws....

I don't know. For me to make an informed decision I would be interested to know what countries had what laws specifically, the time periods they eneacted the laws and the pre and post environments.

So you think this country is more like Mexico than it is Australia? What ins ution in Mexico distributes guns? And do you really think that arming the Mexican citizenry is an intelligent solution to their rampant decade long gang wars?

You're one dumb mother er. Critical thinking. Putting ideas together and making logical inferences is something beyond your scope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know. For me to make an informed decision I would be interested to know what countries had what laws specifically, the time periods they eneacted the laws and the pre and post environments.

So you think this country is more like Mexico than it is Australia? What ins ution in Mexico distributes guns? And do you really think that arming the Mexican citizenry is an intelligent solution to their rampant decade long gang wars?

You're one dumb mother er. Critical thinking. Putting ideas together and making logical inferences is something beyond your scope.
    Mexico has strict as gun laws. You can go to jail for having a single round of ammunition.

See how well that has worked to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

YOU are the dumb mother er for even thinking a total gun ban has a snowballs chance in of passing in the US. Even Boutons was smart enough to figure THAT one out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any gun will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and it is loaded. I will ask again. Do you think that you can pull the trigger and fire a revolver at the same rate you can pull the trigger and fire a semiauto?
    Never timed it, but what's a half second between friends?

If you tie the trigger back, you can shoot a revolver much faster than you can a semi-auto.

It's obvious that the reload time is much slower even with a reload cylinder. Not to mention much more bersome and problematic than a bunch of springloaded clips.
    Since the clip is the spring, you must mean magazines.

Speed reloaders are not bersome. They are smaller than magazines and you can load them incredibly fast without needing to release the action afterward.
    Oh and how many homes in the US have an assault weapon versus a knife?
    Not enough obviously, but strange argument given the earlier argument that there are too many guns thus the high gun death rate. Are there too many knives?
    Oh and I love how you guys just ignored that study that I linked.
    If you mean the Australia gun ban, that's par per for gun debates. Australia always had different laws concerning guns. You cannot simply superimpose their laws onto Americans and pretend you will get the same results. BTW, check out New Zealand's gun laws.

Take a look at Mexico's gun laws, then note that Mexico's death by gun rate is higher than the US. Socioeconomic factors, no doubt, but the US has the same factors in parts of each city.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Mexico has strict as gun laws"

and WONDERFUL enforcement of those laws.

referencing failed state MX as an example of failed strict gun laws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Mexico has strict as gun laws"

and WONDERFUL enforcement of those laws.

referencing failed state MX as an example of failed strict gun laws

So you agree that draconian strict gun laws don't prevent criminals from getting guns?

duh.

Thanks for playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're basically Ron Paul, the freeware version. You have these radical notions that pretty much poison your effectiveness in offering working suggestions. You should get rid of your guns, show some integrity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico has strict as gun laws. You can go to jail for having a single round of ammunition.

See how well that has worked to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

YOU are the dumb mother er for even thinking a total gun ban has a snowballs chance in of passing in the US. Even Boutons was smart enough to figure THAT one out.
    meh. The electorate is changing and once Boomers die off then who knows what the disposition would be. Times change. , this time last year the talk was that both parties were afraid to bring it up. Now? Not so much.

I am more interested in finding effective policy than posturing about political will about generalities.

It's not lost on me that you ignored a few points that were the crux of what I was saying though. I will requote them:

You apparently need some more intellectual handholding. Where do you think the guns the cartels use are purchased other than from the US and smuggled?

It's the same argument about Chicago.

Illinois has some of the strictest gun laws in the country yet Chicago has the highest murder rates. MEXICO!!!
    Then you look at the Indiana gun laws and the relative position of Indiana to Chicago. Critical thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're basically Ron Paul, the freeware version. You have these radical notions that pretty much poison your effectiveness in offering working suggestions. You should get rid of your guns, show some integrity.
    That is a terrible insult to Ron Paul.

Fuzzy is a ing idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you have yet to make a compelling argument.

radical

Was a semiautomatic ban effective in Australia or not?

Thread Information