Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, what is meant by "effective" then? Target practice?

The effectiveness of the AR-15 is because the bullet fragments when it hits a human body, doing grave harm. Once it goes past about 360 yards, it slows to the point it no longer fragments, and just puts a tiny hole in someone. At this point, it is no longer an effective killing weapon, unless it's a sniper version. Then again, you also use a different round, and go for the head shot.
    That only makes it less lethal. The gun has a good rate of fire.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That only makes it less lethal. The gun has a good rate of fire.
    It is no longer classed as "effective" at that range. Yes, it's maximum range is something like 600 yards. that is not it's effective range.

Again, it depends of what you deem as effective I guess. In your world... effective targets...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I am not some dip that has never fired the weapon.
    OK. You are a dip who has fired a weapon then!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...

The Fuzzy Troll thinks being able to hit a target at that range makes it an effective weapon at that range...

LOL...

LOL...

LOL...
    No, you are only fixating on the one with the smallest calibre and handwaving. Whitman was a badass marksman but he was tagging people at 450 yards with an M1 carbine. The point is that semiautomatic rifles have significant effective range.
    Last edited by FuzzyLumpkins; 12-22-2012 at 12:17 AM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No, you are only fixating on the one with the smallest calibre and handwaving. Whitman was a badass marksman but he was tagging people at 450 yards with an M1 carbine. The point is that semiautomatic rifles have significant range.
    Yes, they do. The AR15 has a minimum accurate range of 460 yards, and I believe up to 600 yards.

I see you properly left out "effective" this time.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I am not some dip that has never fired the weapon. People have and do consistently hit at over 500 yards with a 16" AR-15.

You should be able to hit a standard target at 400 yards with an SKS. I really do not know wtf you are talking about. Perhaps you should go somewhere other than Walmart to buy guns
    I can hit an 8" steel plate at 500 yards, doesn't mean the round is effective killing at that range.

And if you were so in the know, you'd be aware that Walmart sells Colts, pretty much the standard to which all mil spec AR's are compared to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is no longer classed as "effective" at that range. Yes, it's maximum range is something like 600 yards. that is not it's effective range.

Again, it depends of what you deem as effective I guess. In your world... effective targets...
    Sorry but when the Army says the effective range of their M-16 is 500m then I will go by that. I am not going to go by you. I will never go by you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can hit an 8" steel plate at 500 yards, doesn't mean the round is effective killing at that range.

And if you were so in the know, you'd be aware that Walmart sells Colts, pretty much the standard to which all mil spec AR's are compared to.
    Welcome Walmart shoppers.

If you want to talk about terminal velocity required to fragment the slug then fine but unless you have been shooting people at 400 yards with an AR-15, you are just talking out of your ass.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If the bullet could pierce body armor or a steel helmet or a 3mm steel plate at that range while exceeding the speed of sound at 500 yards, would you say, in your opinion, the rifle that fired it was effective at that range?

Yes or no.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Sorry but when the Army says the effective range of their M-16 is 500m then I will go by that. I am not going to go by you. I will never go by you.
    Link please.

I say you are lying, or mistaken.

The Army has never said the effective range of the M16, AR-15, or any of their common variants was 500 meters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they do. The AR15 has a minimum accurate range of 460 yards, and I believe up to 600 yards.

I see you properly left out "effective" this time.
    I'll edit it so as to eliminate the ambiguity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link please.

I say you are lying, or mistaken.

The Army has never said the effective range of the M16, AR-15, or any of their common variants was 500 meters.

Maybe if you stamp your feet, it will become true. Google it and anyone can verify it to be true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the bullet could pierce body armor or a steel helmet or a 3mm steel plate at that range while exceeding the speed of sound at 500 yards, would you say, in your opinion, the rifle that fired it was effective at that range?

Yes or no.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Welcome Walmart shoppers.

If you want to talk about terminal velocity required to fragment the slug then fine but unless you have been shooting people at 400 yards with an AR-15, you are just talking out of your ass.
    Not sure what you're laughing about, you mentioned Walmart as if they only carried AR's, considering they carry the brand of which all AR's are compared to I'll assume you're laughing at how stupid you made yourself look. I don't buy my AR's from Walmart if that satisfies you, I've got a few different BCM's in various lengths, and one S&W MP15.

I don't even believe I'm arguing this anymore, it. Keep you're bolt actions, I'll keep enjoying my semis.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ^lol thinking that any of these liberals even own a bolt action. they turned in their man cards long ago, bowed to feminism and watch their wives get plowed. wouldn't know about standing up for themselves, having pride and dignity, or self protection. they're enemies of people like me and you and a threat to our freedom. these liberals are the enemy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^lol thinking that any of these liberals even own a bolt action. they turned in their man cards long ago, bowed to feminism and watch their wives get plowed. wouldn't know about standing up for themselves, having pride and dignity, or self protection. they're enemies of people like me and you and a threat to our freedom. these liberals are the enemy.
    So shoot them.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    civil war probably will happen someday, it's all but inevitable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    civil war probably will happen someday, it's all but inevitable
    I figure you'd die pretty quickly since you only have half your manhood to begin with.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Yes or no.
    Yes, effective for that task. Remember, "effective range" varies by what you are doing. As an open sighted weapon, the effective range is limited to 360 yards for combat operations.

When used as a killing weapon, it is not effective at such greater ranges without a scope.

I just looked up the field manual for the AR-15. They changed the "effective range" rating to "point target" and "area target." These point target range is 460 meters for the -A1 variety, and 550 meters (600 yards) for the -A2 to -A4. Now what they don't distinguish is with or without scope. My training tells me this is with scope. Not open sight. For an effective point target to provide the desired results in combat, it needs to be a head shot.

LOL... Point target... LOL... Target practice... LOL...

maximum effective range: The greatest distance at which a soldier may be expected to deliver a target hit.
    They changed the damn definitions. The gruesome beauty of the AR-15 with the 223 round it the bullet will disintegrate when it hits flesh, causing massive damage. This changes at about 360 yards. By this time, the velocity slows enough the round stays intact.

That why I kept saying, it depends on what you call "effective."

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm a real dude, chump. I've never bowed or cowered to anyone..I'm definitely not your typical liberal easy clean. I pity the who tries to mess with me and I'm not even some big tough guy, you're just tough to beat when you're right and I don't go looking for trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes...

They changed the damn definitions.

I'm a real dude, chump. I've never bowed or cowered to anyone..I'm definitely not your typical liberal easy clean. I pity the who tries to mess with me and I'm not even some big tough guy, you're just tough to beat when you're right and I don't go looking for trouble.
    Still don't have a girlfriend, eh? Sorry about that too.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    your other shtick was more effective..trying to cop me and ignig's "narrative" shtick isn't working out for you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your other shtick was more effective..trying to cop me and ignig's "narrative" shtick isn't working out for you
    It's working pretty well tbh. I know you're full of and angry just like gtown. Feel free to try and ape his shtick tho. The more elaborate your fantasies get, the funnier it is.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    it comforts you to think i'm full of but i'm not. and there are a lot more of me than there are of you..plenty more where that came from. this is texas boy..not cali.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it comforts you to think i'm full of but i'm not
    Of course you are. For example, you talk about shooting liberals but are never going to do it. Cowardly tbh.

Thread Information