Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Going to be there next month. For those of you in the area or who have frequented, what are some cool things to do *no *. I am going to be at the Spurs game so I will be "that guy" in the visiting teams colors. I'll more than likely only be there for 2-3 days. What is something that I HAVE to do while I am there? *again no *

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You have to bring me a bag of dark chocolate sea salt and caramel squares from Ghirardelli.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Get out of Oakland after the game and don't go back.

Drive up to the Muir Woods. The overlook is breathtaking

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    Go to Sonoma (not the much more commercialized Napa). Great wine, good food. Not the best time of year to tour the vineyards but the wine's still good.

A drive down Highway 1 to Big Sur is great if you have the time.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Go to the Castro, you will love it.

silverblk mystix
    +1 on Muir Woods

and if you go there stop for a meal at the Mountain Home Inn in Mill Valley (I believe the dining room is open to guests on the weekends) and enjoy a great meal, great ambience, view and even a hike on Mt. Tam if you are energetic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Get out of Oakland after the game and don't go back.

Drive up to the Muir Woods. The overlook is breathtaking
    Why? Will I get chot for wearing my Spurs Jert?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You have to bring me a bag of dark chocolate sea salt and caramel squares from Ghirardelli.
    Can't you buy that at HEB woman?! Why are you so difficult??!!

lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Why? Will I get chot for wearing my Spurs Jert?
    No, its just a hole

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought Muir woods was a set up and something like Zilker park in Austin but that is breathtaking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Oh, that makes sense. I don't even plan on driving. I figured we'd take a cab. Or is it cool to take the BART?

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Exploratorium!!

Get some good Mexican food in the Mission district.

If you're at all interested in museums, the de Young is fantastic. As is SF MoMA. And I've heard amazing things about the new(ish) California Academy of Sciences (walking distance to the de Young and other GG Park attractions), though it has always been too crowded to bother when I've tried to go.

And, even though this is the exact opposite of my advice in just about any other city that I love, do all of the touristy . Do Fisherman's Warf (but skip gawdawful Pier 39), go to Ghirardelli, go to the Presidio, ride a Cable Car, go to Chinatown for Dim Sum, go to Twin Peaks, check out Lombard Street, look at the Painted Ladies (the houses, not the drag queens, though the latter is also fun), ride a ferry, go to Alcatraz, go to Sausalito, go to Golden Gate Park, go across the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County and check out Muir Woods/Stinson Beach, hike around the Marin Headlands, and so forth. When you're in a place that beautiful, it's kind of hard to go wrong.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Exploratorium!!

If you're at all interested in museums, the de Young is fantastic. As is SF MoMA. And I've heard amazing things about the new(ish) California Academy of Sciences (walking distance to the de Young and other GG Park attractions), though it has always been too crowded to bother when I've tried to go.

And, even though this is the exact opposite of my advice in just about any other city that I love, do all of the touristy . Do Fisherman's Warf (but skip gawdawful Pier 39), go to Ghirardelli, go to the Presidio, ride a Cable Car, go to Chinatown for Dim Sum, go to Twin Peaks, check out Lombard Street, look at the Painted Ladies (the houses, not the drag queens, though the latter is also fun), ride a ferry, go to Alcatraz, go to Sausalito, go to Golden Gate Park, go across the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County and check out Muir Woods/Stinson Beach, hike around the Marin Headlands, and so forth. When you're in a place that beautiful, it's kind of hard to go wrong.
    Thanks. I will try and fit in as much as possible. *no *

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Oh, that makes sense. I don't even plan on driving. I figured we'd take a cab. Or is it cool to take the BART?
    BART is fantastic. The ferries are fantastic. Cable Cars, despite being obscenely overpriced and crowded, are one of the best ways to get around parts of the city. However, MUNI buses are horrible. As long as you plan your route/day in advance so that you know where you're going and roughly how you're going to get there and back, San Francisco is one of those cities where I would ALWAYS advise walking/public transportation over cabs. BART is also great if you want to head over to Berkeley or Oakland for the day.

If you want to head across in the other direction, however, I would suggest renting a car even if it's just for one or two days out of your trip. The ferry is great if you want to go to Sausalito for a few hours, but if you want to spend any time elsewhere in Marin County (or to go to Muir Woods as everyone has suggested), they have a completely different public transportation system that isn't as user friendly, so you'll be limited in where you can go and will likely burn a lot of time sitting around at bus stops. Taking a cab across the GG would also be crazy expensive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The reason we are going is because I am taking the wifey to go visit her brother who lives there and is going to culinary school there. We also have a couple of friends there so I am going to try to hit them up for either a vehicle *no cheapskate*. Since we are only there for a couple of days I am going to try and do as much as possible.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The California Academy of Sciences museum sucked. A Foucault pendulum and a short movie in the planetarium were the extent of the physics related displays in the place and half the exhibits I felt like I was getting preached to about global warming. Walking the Golden Gate is pretty nice if you're not a 400 lb cholo who runs out of breath after walking 10 feet, as you get some really cool views of downtown peeking out through the clouds every once in a while.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The California Academy of Sciences museum sucked. A Foucault pendulum and a short movie in the planetarium were the extent of the physics related displays in the place and half the exhibits I felt like I was getting preached to about global warming. Walking the Golden Gate is pretty nice if you're not a 400 lb cholo who runs out of breath after walking 10 feet, as you get some really cool views of downtown peeking out through the clouds every once in a while.
    Yeah, my wife wants to do that so it's a must.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So we are going to be staying in the financial district.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Stop in at 21st Amendment brewing, good stuff. Toronado is also a great pub to visit:

http://www.toronado.com/

Healdsburg is also not far and has the Armstrong Redwoods close by, less crowded than Muir can get.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I have not been to SF in years so I don’t know what is currently trendy…The seafood in SF with its Sicilian influence is incredible…It is fun to just walk around on Fisherman’s Warf …Drop in a nightclub for a beer…Your friends must know some good places…Alioto’s restaurant has some decadent seafood dishes…

http://aliotos.com/index.php/aliotos-menu

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    College
    Fresno State Bulldogs
    My advice for going to San Francisco? Don't go to San Francisco. With all the sexuals there it is highly probable that you will catch some sort of disease from either eating food prepared by them, staying in a hotel or just your every day contact with them while there. It's a pity that a city so rich in history and with such great architecture has been defiled by those that choose to live that lifestyle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My advice for going to San Francisco? Don't go to San Francisco. With all the sexuals there it is highly probable that you will catch some sort of disease from either eating food prepared by them, staying in a hotel or just your every day contact with them while there. It's a pity that a city so rich in history and with such great architecture has been defiled by those that choose to live that lifestyle.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Exploratorium!!

What are the best mexican places you know?

I eat at Los coyotes pretty regularly, the california burrito is pretty good. I tried Tacolicious, it was okay but it's very expensive.
    little chihuahua just opened so I'll try them out as well. Am I missing any places?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So eat Mexican food there? You do know that I live in SA right? We are going to be staying in the financial district so I was hoping to hit up Chinatown and such.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    What are the best mexican places you know?

I eat at Los coyotes pretty regularly, the california burrito is pretty good. I tried Tacolicious, it was okay but it's very expensive.
    little chihuahua just opened so I'll try them out as well. Am I missing any places?
    There's a place right on Mission St., next to the 24th St. BART station, called La Taqueria that I've loved since I was a kid. However, due to logistical reasons it's been probably close to a decade since I've had a chance to really explore new places or reassess old favorites (the carnitas at La Taqueria were still good last time I ate there, but that was over four years ago) that I feel more comfortable recommending the neighborhood as a whole than I do any one place.

So eat Mexican food there? You do know that I live in SA right?
    Entirely personal opinion, of course, but California Mexican > Tex Mex. And in general, good Mexican > just about everything else.

Thread Information