Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you ever seend Williams in real game?
    Yes, and he's a terrible small-forward. He's too slow and doesn't know how to post up smaller defenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

The only potential speed disadvantage that could hurt us is at PF with Splitter like it's the case right now...
    Kawhi is a small-forward. He is not a two-guard. I don't know why anyone would want him to be one. Williams is a power-forward who is currently wasting his time at the three because Minnesota drafted him even when they had Love. He lost a lot of weight and still looks like a big on the perimeter. If I could trade for him on the condition that he play the three, I'd say no. I rather Green play the four than Williams play the three -- that's how against it I am.
    Last edited by Chinook; 01-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is a small-forward. He is not a two-guard. I don't know why anyone would want him to be one. Williams is a power-forward who is currently wasting his time at the three because Minnesota drafted him even when they had Love. He lost a lot of weight and still looks like a big on the perimeter. If I could trade for him on the condition that he play the three, I'd say no. I rather Green play the four than Williams play the three -- that's who against it I am.
    Pop would as well probably so I think you're safe..........................

It's interesting that you say that the current lineup isn't substainable tbh. I think it misses one playmaker but I think they decided to give Tim Tiago a shot in the POs at this point...

Also KY's biggest asset on D is his length, he looks better vs twos imo, he can't really do that much vs long 3s like Gay or Durant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Neal is all that much of a play-maker, anyway. He has the potential, for sure, but he's too inconsistent to rely on. I think between Jack, Mills and the backup points, there's play-making to be unlocked.
    Play-maker in the sense that he can make plays for himself.

I disagree. There's very little play making amongst Jackson and Mills and De Colo and Joseph more than likely still wouldn't be in the rotation, so they're irrelevant.

I think Pop is playing big right now because he doesn't like the rotation if Diaw starts. I also think he likes Diaw's play-making off the bench more than Splitter's contributions to the starting unit. I don't think this current lineup is sustainable. Williams, in my opinion, would be an excellent fit for the starting unit. I think he'd fit with Duncan a lot more than would with Splitter. But I guess Diaw would be an interesting front-court partner for him, too. I just don't think the Spurs would trade for him this year without him playing a lot of minutes. In June, maybe, but not this season.
    At first, I think he was just giving it a look. Now, I think he's committed to it. Splitter is too good to continue limiting him to 18-20 mpg and since they'll more than likely offer him less to re-sign than he could get in free agency, it wouldn't help matters if he were to revert to playing a limited role.

I agree that they probably wouldn't trade for him unless they were planning on him being a clear cut rotation player . . . which is why I'm not sure they'd make this trade now.

It would by dicey right now, but with the rest of the season to prepare, I think one of them would get some consistency. As soon as Pop really commits to one (which is hard to do when you have so many options), they'll start playing better. If Joseph can be as good in the bench as he's shown himself to be against lesser compe ion, I'd absolutely be willing to risk him messing up. It's not like Neal handles ball pressure well right now.
    He might not fully commit to one though, since it's unlikely that any are good enough to stake claim to the spot. Neal's ability to create/shoot is more important than the fact that Joseph's PG skills are marginally better.

This team is trying to win a championship, they're at the midway point in the regular season and you want a relatively raw, unproven player, to come in and start and a completely raw, unproven player, to play backup PG?

That's what I'm thinking. I understand why a power-forward is important now, but they shouldn't be short-sighted. When Love comes back, that new big will be stuck on the bench, and they'll still need a shooter. They may as well take both with Bonner and Neal.
    Well, in the case of Gasol, if they got him, Pekovic would likely be sent to a third team. They could be after Smith, too. But even if they could somehow pull that off (again, it would require a third team), Love can't play C full time and Smith wouldn't even think about re-signing if they had him come off the bench and play something like 30 mpg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can get a good look at DW vs the Clippers right now on TNT

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your definition of play maker. That's like Thunder fan trying to claim Kevin Martin is a play maker.

Neal sucks at making plays for himself. Why do you think he is such a horrible PG? He is much better at SG where he can have someone else set him up for a catch and shoot or a simple drive to the basket.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Neal is still twice the passer Mills is at this point... He did play the Pnr with Tiago pretty well last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wolves have Rubio and DW in the starting line up, last couple of games it was Shved and Cunningham

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paranoid Pop Kawhi usually pretty good against small-fowards, actually. He's also not bad on power-forwards. He really only is good against big two-guards. He's not that great on small twos and ones. It'd be a shame to take him out of his element just to have Williams also play out of position.
    Last edited by Chinook; 01-17-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Neal is still twice the passer Mills is at this point... He did play the Pnr with Tiago pretty well last year.
    Well that's like saying Khloe Kardashian is a little bit better looking than Oprah Winfrey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can get a good look at DW vs the Clippers right now on TNT
    Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully we can see what Williams can do when he doesn't have a two-guard shutting him down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your definition of play maker. That's like Thunder fan trying to claim Kevin Martin is a play maker.

Neal sucks at making plays for himself. Why do you think he is such a horrible PG? He is much better at SG where he can have someone else set him up for a catch and shoot or a simple drive to the basket.
    Play making, at it's core, means making plays. It's generally associated with making plays for others, but it doesn't have to be. It's like the word consistent. People generally attach a positive connotation to it, but you can just as easily be consistently bad as you can be consistently good. Take you, for example. You're as consistent a poster as there is . . . you're just consistently bad.

Neal makes plays, only they're mostly for himself. Therefore he's a play maker, just not in the same sense as Parker and Ginobili. The reason Neal is a horrible PG, is because that position requires being able to do both.

You lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DW showing good shot blocking instincts in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks good at the four. I think the Wolves are showcasing him. But they may end up keeping him. It looks like Adelman has him buried on the bench wrongly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Green for this guy already... The love story between Pop and Green is so disturbing...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks good at the four. I think the Wolves are showcasing him. But they may end up keeping him. It looks like Adelman has him buried on the bench wrongly.
    Well while he'd be at its best as a small ball pf, he could probably play some 3 competently.

I'd like Boris to play the 3 where his relative lack of rebounding wouldn't matter and make Williams the second PF. That said without Boris the second unit may struggle playmaking wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well while he'd be at its best as a small ball pf, he could probably play some 3 competently.

I'd like Boris to play the 3 where his relative lack of rebounding wouldn't matter and make Williams the second PF. That said without Boris the second unit may struggle playmaking wise.
    Williams is 6-9; he's just fine as a legitimate power-forward. That's taller than Diaw. He's underweight right now, too. In a few years, he'll have the body he needs to dominate at the four.

Diaw is definitely too slow to consistently play the three. He did a good job filling in as Green's backup, but really, he can't do it any more consistently than Danny can. We'll just ignore the Green debate, though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Sjax is much faster than Boris?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris did awesome at the 3, it doesn't even compare to what Green did at the position....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much. In the very least, Jack's more suited to be a perimeter player in the Spurs' system.

And Diaw wasn't great at the three. He was competant against James, who was definitely playing the four most of the game. Diaw also got more help that Green usually does.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much. In the very least, he's more suited to be a perimeter player in the Spurs' system.
    Well it got too off topic already so I leave it at that but Boris did as well as anyone on Pierce and Lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it got too off topic already so I leave it at that but Boris did as well as anyone on Pierce and Lebron.
    I agree. But here's a link to Diaw's stats if you're curious: http://www.82games.com/1213/12SAS12.HTM

He was pretty bad at the three. Worse that Green: http://www.82games.com/1213/12SAS8.HTM

He did do well as a center, though. In general, it helps your stats to play small as opposed to big. That's another reason why I'd want Williams to play the four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, I know it's a small sample size, but Williams has really good numbers at the five: http://www.82games.com/1213/12MIN13.HTM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, if DW would have thrown that dunk down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trade deadline can't come soon enough.

Williams would be intriguing.

Thread Information