Height: 6-8
    Weight: 241 lbs.
    Prior to NBA: Arizona
    Years Pro: 1

Info

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does a scouting report come with this?? or a link to one?? or Baynes-esque prediction??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does a scouting report come with this?? or a link to one?? or Baynes-esque prediction??
    No, No and No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we've discussed him for a long time in the trade thread, I would love to grab the kid.

Make it happen RC Buford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see this guy wasting his first contract shuttling back and forth between positions. He probably needs to focus on being a power-forward, because his shooting and athleticism make him a mismatch there. His strength and length don't seem to be that big of a problem for small-forwards, and Green did a good job in the post against him. That probably speaks more highly of Green than it does poorly of Williams, but I still think Derrick would be hard pressed to dominate players like Durant, Gay, Leonard, Battier or any other legitimate small-forward. He is certainly a legitimate shooter from three (almost 40 percent), and he would be even better in a system that focused on taking good shots.

I like him as a player off the bench this year and then the starting power-forward in subsequent years. He still has a really high ceiling if he can get out of Minnesota before they ruin his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could someone explain the Wolves' injury situation, and what impact that has on the availability of Williams? I cant sort out who is injured or not over there...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could someone explain the Wolves' injury situation, and what impact that has on the availability of Williams? I cant sort out who is injured or not over there...
    Love being injured (through March) may actually help the Spurs' ability to trade for Williams. If they move Williams, they'll need a back-up power-forward -- preferably one who can shoot threes. The Spurs just happen to have one on a semi-expiring contract. Add Neal and a first to the deal, and I could see that being attractive to Minnesota if they're really low on Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly send them Bonner + Neal + Blair for Williams + Amundson. That helps both teams.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either a hybrid forward or a power forward.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams basically is a hybrid forward. I don't get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams basically is a hybrid forward. I don't get it.
    Adelman likes bigmen that are good passer and Williams is very poor in that area.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adelman likes bigmen that are good passer and Williams is very poor in that area.
    There goes the idea of using Bonner as trade bait.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I can help with this one later. On phone right now. I've got advanced stats and over 100 games of in-depth analysis for the Arizona boards I moderate for through Scout and Rivals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair can pass...
    Bonner is a power-forward...
    Neal can chuck...

Seems like a perfect combination.

In all seriousness, Williams has been getting more playing time under Porter. He's still green, but I think he's playing well. I don't get what Adelman has against him, but I'd begin to doubt his coaching ability if I were the Wolves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly send them Bonner + Neal + Blair for Williams + Amundson. That helps both teams.
    Off season, I think the Spurs do this for sure. Leonard will be another year older and they'll have more time to determine who/what their backup PG should be. Right now, I don't know. Considering their current rotation, I'm not sure they'd give up Neal for a guy who'd more than likely be a fringe rotation player.

We can criticize Neal's PG skills or lack there of all we want, but the bottom line is, they make this trade, they don't have a fourth option and the fact that their third option is never too far away from his next injury and happens to play the same position, doesn't help matters.

On the other hand, you could say that it would likely force Leonard into this role, which is probably ultimately what needs to happen if they're going to have any chance of winning a championship anyway, considering how many more minutes he plays when they're healthy and how he generally closes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We dont have their dream big, Williams isn't good enough to send Splitter.

But we do have Green available so either directly or in a 3 ways trade I think it's very much possible to get him if they even try...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD 21 I think Splitter is pretty much the fourth option at this point. I imagine trading for Williams would push Splitter back to the bench. Diaw or Wiliams would start. If Splitter is back with the second unit, he'll be the focus, anyway. Neal can make his own offense, but that's not really important, in my opinion. If the Spurs' system breaks down to the point that they have to hope someone can make plays on their own, I don't like their chances anyway.

The question we should ask about trading for Williams is this: What will it take to get him? I don't mean from the Spurs' angle exclusively. I just mean what will make the Wolves pull the trigger. They want a big who can shoot and rebound and pass, but those types of players usually aren't on the market. I doubt they get that for him, and they're really not in a position of strength, here. I think they'll move him by the draft no matter what, so I think it's going to come down to whoever has the best offer.

I haven't heard any proposals from other teams. Has anyone else? All I have seen is the Wolves trying to shop him and other teams refusing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think he can be a really good addition if we can bring him in for the srubs. Really. Do it Pop! Imagine the line-up of Parker-Leonard-Williams-Duncan-Splitter. Nasty. And just like Diaw and Jax, Williams can play both forwards. Pop would have scary versatility with Williams in the line-up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD 21 I think Splitter is pretty much the fourth option at this point.
    I'd say he's fifth, but either way, he can't really get his own. They trade Neal, they're down to two proven play makers on the perimeter, one of whom is extremely injury prone and can't be counted on for significant minutes.

I imagine trading for Williams would push Splitter back to the bench. Diaw or Wiliams would start.
    I think the rotation would stay the same, only Williams would probably get those few minutes where Jackson is playing PF, alongside Diaw, at C.

Neal can make his own offense, but that's not really important, in my opinion.
    Fair enough, but would you feel comfortable with Mills, De Colo or Joseph playing 8-10 mpg in a series against the Thunder, Clippers, or Grizzlies?

The question we should ask about trading for Williams is this: What will it take to get him? I don't mean from the Spurs' angle exclusively. I just mean what will make the Wolves pull the trigger. They want a big who can shoot and rebound and pass, but those types of players usually aren't on the market.
    I still think they're holding out hope for Gasol, but it would take a third team to make it work. Ultimately though, if they're interested in Re , there's no reason to think they won't be in Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think he can be a really good addition if we can bring him in for the srubs. Really. Do it Pop! Imagine the line-up of Parker-Leonard-Williams-Duncan-Splitter. Nasty. And just like Diaw and Jax, Williams can play both forwards. Pop would have scary versatility with Williams in the line-up
    Put Ginobili at the point and you'll have about the slowest lineup ever.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The D could go from good to truly scary with a athletic guy like Williams.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

The only potential speed disadvantage that could hurt us is at PF with Splitter like it's the case right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you ever seend Williams in real game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say he's fifth, but either way, he can't really get his own. They trade Neal, they're down to two proven play makers on the perimeter, one of whom is extremely injury prone and can't be counted on for significant minutes.
    I don't think Neal is all that much of a play-maker, anyway. He has the potential, for sure, but he's too inconsistent to rely on. I think between Jack, Mills and the backup points, there's play-making to be unlocked.

I think the rotation would stay the same, only Williams would probably get those few minutes where Jackson is playing PF, alongside Diaw, at C. I think they'd have been more interested before they committed to playing Splitter alongside Duncan.
    I think Pop is playing big right now because he doesn't like the rotation if Diaw starts. I also think he likes Diaw's play-making off the bench more than Splitter's contributions to the starting unit. I don't think this current lineup is sustainable. Williams, in my opinion, would be an excellent fit for the starting unit. I think he'd fit with Duncan a lot more than would with Splitter. But I guess Diaw would be an interesting front-court partner for him, too. I just don't think the Spurs would trade for him this year without him playing a lot of minutes. In June, maybe, but not this season.

Fair enough, but would you feel comfortable with Mills, De Colo or Joseph playing 8-10 mpg in a series against the Thunder, Clippers, or Grizzlies?
    It would by dicey right now, but with the rest of the season to prepare, I think one of them would get some consistency. As soon as Pop really commits to one (which is hard to do when you have so many options), they'll start playing better. If Joseph can be as good in the bench as he's shown himself to be against lesser compe ion, I'd absolutely be willing to risk him messing up. It's not like Neal handles ball pressure well right now.

I still think they're holding out hope for Gasol, but it would take a third team to make it work. But ultimately, if they're interested in Re , there's no reason to think they won't be in Neal.
    That's what I'm thinking. I understand why a power-forward is important now, but they shouldn't be short-sighted. When Love comes back, that new big will be stuck on the bench, and they'll still need a shooter. They may as well take both with Bonner and Neal.

Thread Information