Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    thinking of getting another puppy soon, my bullmastiff is too stubborn/ headed doesnt listen and since he's 9 and won't be around forever i figure i want something more trainable this time around. must be a capable guard, affectionate, loyal, and trainable/smart. don't really care about grooming, i'll do the work if i have to as long as it listens and doesn't act like a in the house. something that will be good outdoors most of the day in a large yard and indoors at night so basically in and out. ability to withstand heat not an issue (yes i actually custom built a doghouse with a small window unit in it) so what say you?

oh and probably getting a girl this time tbh imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Chow Chow

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    ^uhhh aren't those things stubborn, aloof, and hard to train???

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I feel awful for the dog that ends up with you. Never going on a run because you have no cardio endurance

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    redzero and dpg trolling in a serious thread i sed

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    J/K: Get a Vizsla. They are beautiful dogs:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/vizsla.htm

The Vizsla is expressive, gentle, and loving. Keen and trainable to a high degree, they need mental stimulation daily. They need a patient, calm, firm hand. If they do not see you as a strong authority figure they will become stubborn. Reliable with children, loving to play for hours. Without extensive daily exercise they may be too energetic and excitable for very young toddlers, but are excellent for energetic kids. Able to adapt quickly to family life, and are generally good with other dogs. They are very athletic, and when lacking in exercise they may become destructive or neurotic. Socialize them well to people, places, noises, dogs and other animals. It is very important to obedience train your Vizsla. Without enough exercise, they can be overly eager, prancing around you in sheer excitement. This breed is highly trainable and very willing to please; if you can get them to understand exactly what it is you want of them. If you do not train this breed they may become difficult to handle and control. Example: See Video of a Vizsla who needs more exercise. Notice how very eager to please the dog is, yet has more built up energy than she knows what to do with. She is obviously stressed and not relaxed. Vizslas tend to chew. This breed is not for everyone. If you want a calm dog and are not willing to walk a couple of miles or jog at least one mile a day, do not choose a Vizsla. Without proper exercise, they can easily become high-strung. They have many talents such as: tracking, retrieving, pointing, watchdog and compe ive obedience. The Vizsla is a hunting dog and may be good with cats they are raised with, but should not be trusted with animals such as hamsters, rabbits and guinea pigs etc... Be sure to always be your dogs pack leader to avoid any negative behaviors such as guarding furniture, food, toys, and so on. Well balanced Vizslas, who receive enough exercise, and have owners who are true pack leaders will not have these issues. These behaviors can be reversed, once the owners start displaying leadership, discipline, and provide enough exercise, both mental and physical.
    They are very energetic, but if you train them properly they can be amazing. Very energetic though, but very loving and loyal. I have multiple friends with Vizslas and they are great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    My uncles chow bit me in the face when I was younger, them and their purple tongues. I've got two American Pitbulls Terriers and am looking to adopt a third. I have a Pitbull rescue near me that specializes in picking the good ones from the shelters and puts them through temperament testing before making them available for adoption. I'll never buy a puppy again. They make ty guard dogs though, they are too sweet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Labs are great as well. Very smart and loving.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    J/K: Get a Vizsla. They are beautiful dogs:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/vizsla.htm

They are very energetic, but if you train them properly they can be amazing. Very energetic though, but very loving and loyal. I have multiple friends with Vizslas and they are great.
    i appreciate your serious input but ive got to think that you just posted that for the energetic/taking them on jogs bit tbh. those dogs are too small for what i'm looking for imho, kind of leaning towards a german shepherd as TSA said pitbulls aren't good guards and i'm looking for a good guard.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Chow Chows are loyal, independent, and they bite children. What else could you want?

My Name Is Mitchell Brown
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    German shepherds are the best if you properly train them

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No I promise didn't post it because of the jogging. I have several friends with them and they are super smart and really affectionate. They do require a lot of going outside/playing, but I posted that so you could see it. They take a little more work, but seemed to fit what you were looking for. Not really guard dogs though, but they are really good dogs and listen well if you do the proper training.

My listen instantly to my friends whenever they speak. Don't need leashes or anything.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I didn't know you were looking for a bigger dog. German Shepards are good, but IMO I would go Lab. Very smart as well, but a little less aggressive and more affectionate in my dealings.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    does anyone here actually have experience owning german shepherds?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    doberman pinscher hands down best dog of all time. loyal to the teeth, obedient, loving, will bro it up with you. loves women and women are obsessed with them. knows when to chill and when to be active. also a shorthaired dog so you can keep them in the house. also, one of the smartest dogs in the world. they read your mind.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    German Shepherds are awesome, we have one and their are 4 more from the same family tree in my family. They're big, friendly and loving to their owners, but very protective of the home. Good dogs imo

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a King Shepherd, he's 2 years old now, but I would only recommend owning one if you are 100% committed to fully training it and accepting it's social flaws, tbh..

Many of them are skittish and overprotective, tbh..along with Dobermans, they are probably the most versatile breed(protective, intelligent, athletic, playful) and from my experience, most of them are aloof and won't invade the personal space of your guests(like a lot of bully breeds)..

My dog is highly intelligent, but very skittish and overprotective..we socialized him very well, but he has weak nerves, although that's probably due to poor breeding..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Get a real dog if you're going to get one. Don't be that guy with the Paris Hilton-sized dog. Be dedicated at training them when they're puppies. The good thing is that--no matter the breed--they are all hardwired with a keen sense of smell and a hatred for dark-skinned minorities

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Australian Cattle Dog, imho. Smart and loyal. High energy tho, so u gotta have the time to exercise it properly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Labs are great as well. Very smart and loving.
    Arent labs aggressive?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Get a mutt kinda dog not a pound mutt but one that was bread as a mix.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    get a girlfriend got

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    UR MOM KENTS

Thread Information