My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

One of the biggest draft busts in NFL history is trying to re-kindle his football career. Yahoo! Sports has learned that JaMarcus Russell is planning a comeback attempt that he hopes will see him play in the league again. The former No. 1 pick in the 2007 NFL draft has not played a single NFL snap since the 2009 season with the Oakland Raiders.
    The reclamation of Russell will follow a tricky road for a quarterback who was always known more for his physical blessings than technique. Russell, 27, who has effectively been out of football since tryouts with the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins in 2010, might find overcoming himself his biggest challenge. Currently at 308 pounds, Russell is down from the 320 pounds he weighed this past fall and has been focusing on cardio conditioning the past six weeks to lose the weight.
    “My first year out, I couldn’t watch football but after a while, I couldn’t keep the TV off. I got that itchy feeling but now I gotta watch it, gotta watch,” Russell said.
    “The last few years, the things going through my life, football is my job and it is how it feeds my family. People would say [that] I didn’t love the game but that pisses me off. People don’t know the real you but I want people to know the real me and see what I can do. People are always saying that I’m a bust. I want show them I’m not. I’m committed to this now.”
    Yahoo! Sports has learned that Russell’s mentor through this whole process is former NFL wide receiver Mike Clayton, who like Russell is a LSU product. Over the next couple months, Russell will be training with Brian Martin of TEST Football Academy and TEST West, whose draft products include Joe Flacco and Patrick Peterson among others. In addition, former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia (quarterback technique training), Olympian Ato Boldon (speed training and analysis), Dr. Robert Price of Elite Minds (mental and psychological analysis), former NFL wide receiver Quinn Early (disciplinary work and focus), former New York Giants quarterback Scott Brunner (reading defenses and classroom sessions) and NFL Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk (reading defenses) will work as part of the team trying to reclaim the quarterback’s promise.
    A former top pick, Russell never fulfilled his boundless athletic promise, including a 6-foot-6-inch 265 pound frame that looked more like that belonging to a tight end than someone under center. Complicating a comeback from a less than storied NFL career is the fact that Russell will need to overcome the negative perception stemming from his July 2010 arrest for codeine syrup without a prescription.
    He has taken steps to make amends for his mistakes, including frequently speaking to youth groups about his poor choices and arrest.
    “I’m not looking for a pat on the shoulder from people who haven’t been there for me,” Russell said. “It feels funny not to go through a training camp, that’s just what I’m used to. It’s going to feel good to go back out there again. I will make this happen.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4730--nfl.html

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Sooo Russell's weight is even worse than it was when he was on Oakland and after 6 weeks of actually training like a professional athlete should year round and losing 12 of the probably 60 pounds he needs to lose, he felt the need to announce he's going to make a serious comeback? That'll probably scare NFL teams more than it'll spark interest since it shows he's seeking instant gratification just as much as he was before.

If he waited to make this announcement after months of training and getting below 260 where his weight should be, then I'd say several NFL teams would be stupid to not give him a workout. Making this announcement when he wasn't even below 300 is as stupid as it gets.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Cardinals
    Post Count
    He can be a backup guard.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    There is no place in the NFL for lazy s.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    There doesn’t appear to be a need for you to rush out and buy JaMarcus Russell Jets jersey just yet.
    Reports on Tuesday morning had the Jets holding “very exploratory, informal discussions” about the former first overall pick in the draft whose tenure with the Raiders came to an end after just 31 games. Those discussions may have taken place, but they aren’t leading anywhere.
    PFT’s Mike Florio has been advised that the Jets have no interest in adding Russell to their current group of quarterbacks. It says plenty about that group of quarterbacks that a suggestion of adding Russell doesn’t sound completely out of whack, but it’s not surprising to learn that the Jets’ search might focus on players who have actually been playing football for the last three years.
    Russell is working out in hopes of making a comeback to the NFL. He recently weighed in at 308 pounds, which suggests that there’s still a fair amount of work to be done before anyone will be having more than informal discussions about one of the bigger draft busts in recent history.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...arcus-russell/

Jets for even discussing this

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    Post Count
    Lmao Jets. What a circus of an organization. Russell will set black qbs back after the progress made this season.

Thread Information