Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Very critical news coverage last night by Cenk Uyger on The Young Turks.

Cenk goes pretty hard on this one picking the Administration off point by point on their memo and their comments, etc .

Here are the series of the segments they ran last night.

American citizens were executed abroad in targeted drone strikes, and now, a leaked Justice Department memo outlines how the U.S. government could order drones strikes on them and others for no clear reason. Cenk Uygur breaks down the egregious abuse of power by the Obama administration.

TYT: Govt. Has The Right to Kill American Citizens?

"White House reporters tried in vain to get information from press secretary Jay Carney about a newly released paper that deals with the Obama administration's killing of American citizens.

The paper, which was obtained by NBC News, lays out some of the government's justification for the assassination of Americans with drone strikes. The memo says that the US can order the killing of Americans if they are believed to be senior Al Qaeda members, even if they are not actively plotting attacks."*

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney responded to the "white paper memo" on the Obama administration's killing of American citizens with drone strikes. Well, actually he didn't- but according to him, the president was very, very serious when thinking the strikes over. Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

TYT: Deadly Drone Strikes - Obama is 'Serious'

I figured to include this last one because Brennan is Obama's Drone warrior in crime and will be having his confirmation hearing Thursday.

"John Brennan, President Barack Obama's nominee to head the CIA, had detailed, contemporaneous knowledge of the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" on captured terrorism suspects during an earlier stint as a top spy agency official, according to multiple sources familiar with official records."*

There's evidence that CIA Director nominee John Brennan had extensive knowledge of torture programs. Sure he allegedly "had reservations," but he didn't do anything about it.
    Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

TYT: Obama CIA Nom Approves Torture?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so how can do ent every situation imaginable to include? I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying rather I find a vaugely worded somewhat acceptable in this case...(holding my nose)...
    My issue was with what can easily be construed as intentionally vague language. I have no answers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we can't get to him before he does something, then I don't see a problem with this."

An informant records AMERICAN CITIZEN gang member(s) plotting to kill other AMERICAN CITIZEN gang members or snitches or any AMERICAN CITIZEN, all within the USA. Why don't the FBI, police just kill the plotters?

why are we separating American humans from other humans?

news: ”more pakistanis died today in drone attack”

America: ”meh.”

News: ”American citizen that was probably an Al Qaeda leader died today in drone attack in Pakistan”

America: ”OMGWTFBBQ! This is absurd! Outrageous even!

If we put up with this, the slippery slope, frog in hot water will be complete desecration of the holy Cons ution followed by drone attacks in my neighborhood!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you give bona fides to a secret body, appointed by the executive, with secret, unreviewable proceedings determining life or death for US citizens extrajudicially?

if so, why?
    absolutely yes. you trust the star chamber?
    You're putting a lot of words in my mouth. I never suggested using an Article II court. My preference would be for Article III review, but I could also deal with Article I.

As for your other point, it begs the question of what you mean by bona fides: good faith or competency (or both). The cons utional structure of Article III review rests upon the premise of good faith (hence, lifetime appointments). The congressional outcry over executive warpowers also suggests strong scrutiny and hence good faith. And competency can be developed.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But what does the 16 year old American boy have to do with being a high level target, or a suspect of imminent threat? And you feel comfortable with them saying they don't even need clear proof and no oversight whatsoever?
    Yeah, we shot a bunch of other people when we assassinated bin Laden. Don't feel bad about that at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If an American is somewhere in the world plotting to kill other Americans ,and we can't get to him before he does something, then I don't see a problem with this.

I don't want my son to be killed by a drone strike on our front lawn because of a crime he might have committed...

yet if he chose to hang out with known terrorists plotting to kill Americans in a cave somewhere I couldn't blame the govt... if they thought the only way to stop the bad guys was to hit the cave.... I don't see that as unreasonable...
    What if he isn't plotting but some allegedly 'informed, high ranking' govt official says he is? tough luck? there's a reason we have a due process clause in the cons ution. We have the right to challenge our accusers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are we separating American humans from other humans?

news: ”more pakistanis died today in drone attack”

America: ”meh.”

News: ”American citizen that was probably an Al Qaeda leader died today in drone attack in Pakistan”

America: ”OMGWTFBBQ! This is absurd! Outrageous even!

If we put up with this, the slippery slope, frog in hot water will be complete desecration of the holy Cons ution followed by drone attacks in my neighborhood!”
    yes, common, popular understanding of the Cons utional rights is that they apply only to American citizens, are "alieanable" for non-American-citizens. iow, Cons utional rights are not HUMAN rights, but only American citizen rights.

Americans truly believe America as a country and Americans as people are exceptional, superior, chosen/preferred by (some) God (of their own choosing).

iow, Americans are The Chosen People, and all other humans can suck hind .

We are already well down the slippery slope of a unaccountable, unchallenge-able police state. Observe the OWS American citizens who DARED challenge the financial sector, or non-American Assange, who are to be crushed by that state.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're putting a lot of words in my mouth. I never suggested using an Article II court. My preference would be for Article III review, but I could also deal with Article I.

As for your other point, it begs the question of what you mean by bona fides: good faith or competency (or both). The cons utional structure of Article III review rests upon the premise of good faith (hence, lifetime appointments). The congressional outcry over executive warpowers also suggests strong scrutiny and hence good faith. And competency can be developed.
    to sum up, then, you're cool with the President having a secret, due process free assassination power, so long as another branch can review it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The definition of an extreme authoritarian is one who is willing blindly to assume that government accusations are true without any evidence presented or opportunity to contest those accusations. This memo - and the entire theory justifying Obama's kill list - centrally relies on this authoritarian conflation of government accusations and valid proof of guilt.

They are not the same and never have been. Political leaders who decree guilt in secret and with no oversight inevitably suc b to error and/or abuse of power. Such unchecked accusatory decrees are inherently untrustworthy (indeed, Yemen experts have vehemently contested the claim that Awlaki himself was a senior al-Qaida leader posing an imminent threat to the US). That's why due process is guaranteed in the Cons ution and why judicial review of government accusations has been a staple of western justice since the Magna Carta: because leaders can't be trusted to decree guilt and punish citizens without evidence and an adversarial process. That is the age-old basic right on which this memo, and the Obama presidency, is waging war.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-list-doj-memo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most vital fact to note about this memorandum is that it is not purporting to impose requirements on the president's power to assassinate US citizens. When it concludes that the president has the authority to assassinate "a Senior Operational Leader of al-Qaida" who "poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the US" where capture is "infeasible", it is not concluding that assassinations are permissible only in those cir stances.

To the contrary, the memo expressly makes clear that presidential assassinations may be permitted even when none of those cir stances prevail: "This paper does not attempt to determine the minimum requirements necessary to render such an operation lawful." Instead, as the last line of the memo states: "it concludes only that the stated conditions would be sufficient to make lawful a lethal operation" - not that such conditions are necessary to find these assassinations legal. The memo explicitly leaves open the possibility that presidential assassinations of US citizens may be permissible even when the target is not a senior al-Qaida leader posing an imminent threat and/or when capture is feasible.
    same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to sum up, then, you're cool with the President having a secret, due process free assassination power, so long as another branch can review it?
    incorrect

The exercise of review is a check on "due process free assassination power." Your assertion is oxymoronic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My preference would be for Article III review, but I could also deal with Article I.
    what was the intended meaning here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article III review references a judicial appointment within the purview of Article III of the Cons ution; it's a shorthand for saying lifetime appointed justices who are (supposedly) above the political fray and are neutral/impartial judges.

Article I refers to congressionaly appointed review bodies who, while beyond the power of the President's political whims, may be impartial to their congressional masters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    incorrect

The exercise of review is a check on "due process free assassination power."
    such a review falls well short of cons utionally guaranteed due process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article III review references a judicial appointment within the purview of Article III of the Cons ution; it's a shorthand for saying lifetime appointed justices who are (supposedly) above the political fray and are neutral/impartial judges.

Article I refers to congressionaly appointed review bodies who, while beyond the power of the President's political whims, may be impartial to their congressional masters.
    what's the point of bringing them up in this context?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if some judicial or or legislative authority were to review the secret assassination of Americans, that would be somehow preferable to the President arrogating the power to violate our due process rights all by himself?

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if he isn't plotting but some allegedly 'informed, high ranking' govt official says he is? tough luck? there's a reason we have a due process clause in the cons ution. We have the right to challenge our accusers.
    That happens already happens.. we have already killed American born terrorists in battle without taking them to court ... what happens in a firefight? Are our GIs supposed to not shoot the American born combatants that are shooting at them.. If I go to a country and hang out with people who want to kill Americans and know that being in their presence makes me a target as well... and I choose to stay? Does that mean you wouldn't want the govt to send in a drone for the fear that you might harm me and my rights?

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if some judicial or or legislative authority were to review the secret assassination of Americans, that would be somehow preferable to the President arrogating the power to violate our due process rights all by himself?
    Yes. Of course if there is no proof that there was any wrong doing then the person who ordered the strike should be charged with murder..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    putting US citizens beyond the protection of the law on the President's say so, with or without the concurrence of the legislature or the judiciary, essentially revives outlawry.

if one doesn't object to the depriving of life without due process of law, it's hard to see what assertion of power would be objectionable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's the point of bringing them up in this context?
    Impartiality/third party observation of criminal-procedure determinations/check on rights violations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. Why wouldn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    once we decided that indefinite detention (i.e., depriving people of liberty without due process) was ok, getting here was a small step. expedience trumps all, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. Why wouldn't it?
    it's still an unconsitutional deprivation of rights; asking a court of justice or any other cons utional officer to ratify such proceedings is a perversion of justice and the US Cons ution.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 02-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's still an unconsitutional deprivation of rights; asking a court of justice or any other cons utional officer to ratify such proceedings is a perversion of justice and cons utionality.
    again with the words in the mouth -- I never said have an A3 justice bless the kill order and all is well. The idea was to provide judicial review in an expedited manner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That happens already happens.. we have already killed American born terrorists in battle without taking them to court ... what happens in a firefight? Are our GIs supposed to not shoot the American born combatants that are shooting at them.. If I go to a country and hang out with people who want to kill Americans and know that being in their presence makes me a target as well... and I choose to stay? Does that mean you wouldn't want the govt to send in a drone for the fear that you might harm me and my rights?
    Even if you're, say, an American journalist?

How do you, the common citizen, identify these people to avoid them? Do they have a sign on their forehead?

What if you have family in one of these countries?

It's a giant slippery slope, IMO.

Thread Information