Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep on hearing talk about it, but I just don't see it happening, barring a major injury (which is not unlikely, given it's Ginobili, I suppose). His PER is down from last year, but last year he had the highest PER of his career, so this year has still been okay and since he's recovered from his early injury, he's seemed to be as a good as he's ever been.

Unless he's just someone that wants to retire at the height of his game, I guess I just don't see it happening. I think he'll stick around until whenever Timmy retires, which probably won't be at least until after next season and maybe a year or two after that. Ginobili will have to change his game a bit into more of a spot-up three-point shooter, but he's been moving his game towards that focus over the last few years, anyways.

If it does happen, it will be a cold, dark day in .

Stern is the reason
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we win the championship, it's a possibility.

If not, he'll stick around until Timmy retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, If you keep hearing about a possible Manu's retirement at the end of season, it's because he is saying it could be a possibility.

2011 summer:
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-in-two-years/
    The truth is that I haven't set the date of my retirement, but I have two years left on this contract in San Antonio, and I will reach age 36. I think it may be an appropriate age to stop playing.
    I always thought about retiring at the highest level
    October 2012:
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...use-for-worry/
    If I’m going to play next year, it’s highly likely it’s going to be here

BTW, I've said earlier this season that If Manu couldn't play better than what he did, retiring wouldn't be a shame. Truth is that he has raised his level lately and he has reached a point where there are no basketball reasons justifying a retirement.

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that he's not playing for Argentina in the summer means he's not retiring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually wouldn't mind Manu retiring by the end of the season. That's because it would likely mean the Spurs just won their 5th championship.

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu retires at the end of the season. What more does he really need to compete for? If we win he goes out on top and if we loose what more does he need to compete for? Also I can't see Manu wanting to wait until he has nothing left. He's already had a frustrating season dealing with different kinds of injuries and then struggling to come back and get into rhythm from them. I just can't see Manu wanting to deal with that much longer. I'd say start enjoying these last few games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that Manu, like Duncan, is addicted to the compe ion. Only a significant injury or a major decline in his level of play will lead him to retire. I expect him to sign a two year deal and retire with Tim in 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we win this year I can easily see both Manu and Timmy retire. If not, it's a whole different game.
    (Actually, I would be suprised if we would see Garnett, Kidd and Nash in the NBA next year)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even think he's thinking about that right now. He spoke about it in the offseason and that's probably when he will address it unless the Spurs make an offer before then.

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also I noticed he said he wanted to end his international career with the 2014 World Championships so I wonder if he would go ahead and retire with the Spurs so he could concentrate on preparing for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Manu isn't sure if he will play next season, history tells us he will.

The wast majority of NBA players retires because they have either nothing left in the tank or they are too injured to keep playing. IIRC, the last time a productive player retires was in 2005 with Reggie Miller and he was 40 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that he's not playing for Argentina in the summer means he's not retiring
    lol. odd logic. it could very easily mean he's done with basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs get to the Finals and win 75%.

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of retirement this just came up and it sounds like he wants to continue playing if he's healthy (which is the big question). I'm kind of surprised he wouldn't rather go ahead and retire so he can be with his boys.

The 35-year-old told Fox News Latino that at the beginning of the season his back "was hurting a lot" and he wasn't able to be in shape. "But now I'm feeling well without any pain," he says.
    "When you're like that, your desire comes back and you feel good. If everything ended the way it does (today), I will tell you I'd keep playing. I'm not sure until when but I will keep on," he adds.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/spo...#ixzz2HcMv3eNU
    "It's always great being with your family. (But) you never want to miss time on the court. I had the advantage of being able to relax in my home," Ginobili said.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/spo...#ixzz2HcNRAZzb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Great news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to be a depressed basketball fan in a couple of years. I was always torn between Timmy and Manu as far as which was my favorite. Obviously Timmy was the better player and the anchor, but Manu had that quality that makes him so lovable to spurs fans. Seeing these threads about their retirements really hits hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu better sign a two-year contract extension in April. It's a must. There's no reason for him to retire. Nash has been playing with a bad back for more than a decade and he keeps plugging along. Ginobili has more game in him.

Manu Ginobili's bald spot chapnis's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he signs on for 2 more years at about 7mil/yr. Would free up sign nice cap space to sign the last piece for a championship side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dunks prove he still has enough in the tank to get it done. I'd be shocked if he doesn't come back on a two-year deal. Like Duncan he's a shoe-in to stay in SA, but it'll be interesting to see at what cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he'll come back but only if he can remain injury free this season, and how far they can go in the PO's. one more major injury, broken foot/hand/ankle etc. and I think he's done. He's gotta be tired of being setback year after year from injuries.

I think he also said he wouldn't play for the national team this summer? That may be an indictation that Manu does indeed plan to play at least 1 more year and he will use the summer to rest his body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of salary, I hope Manu takes something low. The guy is only playing 24min/game at the moment and has missed a significant number of games both this year and last year. With recurrent back spasms, these numbers are more likely to go down than up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, what's the comp for salary? Is it the deal Ray Allen supposedly had on the table from the Celtics @ $6M/yr or is it higher?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu will get whatever contract he want. If he will only re-sign for $8m/yr, then give it to him. He has earned it. But if we want to get a decent free agent to maximise ours (and Manus) chances to win a championshp, he should probably take less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, what's the comp for salary? Is it the deal Ray Allen supposedly had on the table from the Celtics @ $6M/yr or is it higher?
    Well Allen has taken $3m from the Heat for a legit shot at another le. I don't think he would (or should) take anything that low, but if we can convince Manu that him taking a discount salary will give him another legit le shot, maybe he takes it?

Thread Information