Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nb...162422963.html
    Last edited by timvp; 02-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.
    Is that what his agent told you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that what his agent told you?
    No but it's common practise. How would the Spurs even be able to trade for him?

*Waits for bonner, blair & 1 st rounder *

Just agree, and shut up! celldweller's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith for Blair, Jackson & Mills. Why would Atlanta do it? they wouldn't. Move along everyone.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=auzjqtn

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith will want a max contract, he's a no go. He will probably end up in Brooklyn or Phoenix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith will want a max contract, he's a no go. He will probably end up in Brooklyn or Phoenix.
    Your exactly right. Spurs don't have enough money to pay a player like Smith who demands big money. He would have to leave a substantial amount on the table, and you know that is not going to happen. It is however very interesting that the Spurs obviously know this and still show interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe there interested for just a one-year rental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe there interested for just a one-year rental.
    All or nothing for a championship type move?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All or nothing for a championship type move?
    In a way it makes sense.

"He's Manu Ginobili." senorglory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they get I know him now, for later.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is how the fantasy slowly starts...

But... they are rumored to want a young center...
    If Brooklyn s offer is Kris humphries marshin Brooks and first rounder than a spurs offer of splutter and Jackson would be in the lead. Flexible for the off season and yet a leg up on the comp for splutter.

If Smith wasn't asking for Max or had a year on his deal I would say good move but is he worth the risk short term and long term?

Also on paper we would be serious contender. Probably best frontcourt in the league.

Tony, manu, ky, Smith,and Duncan, closing games...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Smith is exprining Spurs should trade something valueable, something more than Jax expiring. I cant see it happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so splitter+jax+filler for josh?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was said that the Nets offered Humphries and Brooks but that the Haws don't want that. Danny Ferry wants something better in return and he won't just trade him cause he won't sign with them after this season. So for the Nets, I don't know what can they really give them. Probably some 1st rouders.

The same thing is with Al Jefferson. Today I listened to the Jazz GM and he won't really trade for some players that they don't really help them. So I bet they wont want Jax, Blair and Neal for Al. We would have to give Tiago and Kawhi most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was said that the Nets offered Humphries and Brooks but that the Haws don't want that. Danny Ferry wants something better in return and he won't just trade him cause he won't sign with them after this season. So for the Nets, I don't know what can they really give them. Probably some 1st rouders.

The same thing is with Al Jefferson. Today I listened to the Jazz GM and he won't really trade for some players that they don't really help them. So I bet they wont want Jax, Blair and Neal for Al. We would have to give Tiago and Kawhi most likely.
    Well then F that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call this BS

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs will definitely have to give up splitter. is the risk worth the potential upgrade? probably. smith's defense is pretty good and he fits into the spurs' running offense with the exception of isos that end in long jump shots. he can score around the rim just as well as splitter and run with parker on the break.

but knowing the FO's personality, the spurs won't pull the trigger even if the hawks are willing to deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a poker move. First the Spurs want Jefferson, but don't offer enough so Utah bluffs and says we are keeping Jefferson and offering up Milsap. So, now the Spurs have to show their attention elsewhere. In the end who knows what they want. They may just want to stand pat and drive the price up for everyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to lie, a front court of Leonard, Smith and Duncan would be pretty crazy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this move gives us number five then you give up some future (Splitter) for it. If this move involves kawhi at all, you can't do it. Setting us back five years to improve our le chances by a slight percentage isn't worth it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here we go again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An article about Josh Smith from 10 days ago:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ruths-deadline

The truth about J-Smoove

The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.

However ...

Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to a Carmelo Anthony-style extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.

Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.
    The huge edge Spurs have other some other teams is that they can offer Altanta exactly what they want with Jackson big expiring contract. A Spurs offer around Jackson would be 10 times more appealing for hawks than a Nets offer around Humphries.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah... if its between ky and Josh then the answers ky.

According to that article kawhi and Jackson would get a deal done.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The huge edge Spurs have other some other teams is that they can offer Altanta exactly what they want with Jackson big expiring contract. A Spurs offer around Jackson would be 10 times more appealing for hawks than a Nets offer around Humphries.
    The Hawks will have to want more than that. Downgrading from Smith to Jax alone would knock them down to #7 or 8 at best, and maybe out of the playoffs. I know the Spurs could give up any of Blair, Bonner, Neal, Mills, De Colo, Joseph, and 2 first-rounders to make it happen, but none of that outside of the picks is enough. The Spurs probably won't be willing to part with two picks because Smith wants max money and the Spurs are highly, highly unlikely to give it to him.

Thread Information