Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be ok as a backup plan if Adetokunbo or Jaiteh are already gone. I'm not blown away by him by any means though.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He entered the Draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rst-round-pick

From the article:
    Of course, the first team that instantly pops to mind with any non-American player is the San Antonio Spurs. From Tony Parker to Manu Ginobili to Tiago Splitter and others, San Antonio is a franchise with a robust reputation for plucking Euros and making them stars. With Tim Duncan turning 37 later this month, Nogueira could be the first part of a long-term contingency plan.
    Nevertheless, come draft day San Antonio could have some compe ion for Nogueira—especially among teams with multiple first-round picks. Minnesota, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Utah and Phoenix all have second draft picks in the latter half of the first round, and each could use a big man to varying degrees.
    From a pure fit perspective the most intriguing of those options is Oklahoma City. The Thunder need a long-term replacement for Kendrick Perkins in the middle, and their work developing Serge Ibaka has been fantastic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nbadraft.net puts him at 19 to the Cavs

Good rebounding instincts(7.6 wingspan helps), precision on shot blocking(not just swatting the ball away). Feeds on put backs and second chances, which is great for a NBA rookie.

"The NBA is my dream, too. If I have a chance to go to the NBA, I'll be happy but if it doesn't happen, it's okay. I can play in Europe and Brazil. I just love the game."
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...5324/arti.html

recent highlights:
    Last edited by biskvito; 05-03-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sing him we are going to have to tell Baynes to take it easy on him or he might break him..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see this - but I must admit I didn't look hard. Anyways, Chad Ford has the Spurs drafting Lucas Noguiera of Brazil.

Pick # 28

Lucas Noguiera

San Antonio Spurs

HT: 6-11

WT: 218

POS: C

Analysis: The Brazilian had a coming-out party a few years ago at the under-18 Americas Tournament, then fell off the map for a few years. Lately, he's putting up solid numbers in Spain and a number of international scouts have him ranked higher than Gobert. He's rail thin, but he has a great motor and can block shots. Assuming the Spurs re-sign fellow Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, the transition could be pretty smooth.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...-mock-draft-30

Positives

•Athletic big man
    •Excellent shot-blocker
    •Aggressive rebounder
    •Good motor

Negatives

•Needs to add strength
    •Still raw offensively

May 7 Update: Three years ago, the 7-0 Brazilian with the 7-5 wingspan had a coming-out party at the 2010 Under-18 FIBA Americas Tournament in San Antonio. His 22-point, 14-rebound, 3-block performance against Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes pushed Team USA to the brink and had NBA teams salivating.

After two years of development and unfulfilled expectations for Estudiantes, the Spanish ACB League team, Nogueira is starting to blossom this season in the second-best league in the world. If he elects to stay in this draft, with his enormous shot-blocking ability, he could be a great find for an NBA team in the second part of the first round.

What changed for Nogueira?

In talking to people close to Nogueira, his work ethic has changed and he has matured. Estudiantes is a team with an excellent reputation for developing young talent, and "Bebe" (Portuguese for baby) has worked hard to finally prove himself this season. In 14 minutes per game, he is shooting 68 percent from the floor, mostly on rim runs in screen-and-roll plays and off offensive rebounds.

Nogueira has excellent potential as a rim protector at the NBA level, and even if he is stashed for another season or two -- he is under contract with Estudiantes until 2014 -- there are few defenders like him in this draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...lucas-nogueira

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In talking to people close to Nogueira, his work ethic has changed and he has matured.... there are few defenders like him in this draft.
    My biggest fear about him may be gone now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is the case the spurs will not have to worry about him at #28 cause he will be already drafted..no big deal really in my opinion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me the key, as for all the prospect bigmen, is his work ethic. He is the kind of player who could turn into a very good NBA player but it will take a lot of work on his game and on his body. Without a good work ethic, he won't be able to reach his upside and will turn into a bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a problem with all these "big" guys that are raw offensively...
    Is he better than Baynes? If he is not, what the point?
    You wont get an all start with this pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems like a good prospect, I have read in some places he is y and might be the Brazilian Demarcus Cousins..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of those catch 22 things. The old perspective that he lacked work ethic made him a bad fit for our system, so we didn't want him. Now that word is that he has a good motor, he should be long gone before our pick.

C'est le vie!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what type of relationship him and Tiago have, if any.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What changed for Nogueira?

In talking to people close to Nogueira, his work ethic has changed and he has matured. Estudiantes is a team with an excellent reputation for developing young talent, and "Bebe" (Portuguese for baby) has worked hard to finally prove himself this season. In 14 minutes per game, he is shooting 68 percent from the floor, mostly on rim runs in screen-and-roll plays and off offensive rebounds.

Nogueira has excellent potential as a rim protector at the NBA level, and even if he is stashed for another season or two -- he is under contract with Estudiantes until 2014 -- there are few defenders like him in this draft.
    That was my biggest fear about this kid when I started reading up on him and watching clips of him a year ago. After reading this and watching that prolonged clip of him playing in Europe, I've come around on this kid. With his maturity, that means he'll be a sure-fire first-round projection.

While there are better bigs ahead of him and of course teams do tend to reach and overreach for size (especially those teams with 2 first-round picks), there are certainly enough project bigs in this draft that someone will surely fall to the Spurs.

I know it's a long shot, and these are a lot of ifs, but here goes. If Steven Adams, Gourgi Dieng and Rudy Gobert are all pushed into the upper half of the first round, while if bubble bigs like Jeff Whitey, Mason Plumlee and Cody Zeller have all pushed their way into the 2nd half of the draft, which is very possible after decent individual showings in the recent NBA combine, I think the odds of Lucas Nogueira being available to the Spurs would be very favorable.

This kid fits the profile of a typical player the Spurs would bring into their system. With Duncan as a mentor, and with the appropriate development and training regimen (something the Spurs obviously excel in better than other organizations), this kid would blend in perfectly in a year or two. I would love to see him available to the Spurs at pick #28.

If not, the Spurs could certainly turn their attention to Mam Jaiteh, which wouldn't be a bad consolation prize either.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 05-24-2013 at 04:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a problem with all these "big" guys that are raw offensively...
    Is he better than Baynes? If he is not, what the point?
    An All Star? Perhaps you'd better adjust your expectations. We aren't getting an All Star at pick #28. Those days are gone. There are no more Tony Parkers or Manu Ginobili's waiting for us to pick them. Too many teams now scout Europe, and have seen our success for really good players to fall to us any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An All Star? Perhaps you'd better adjust your expectations. We aren't getting an All Star at pick #28. Those days are gone. There are no more Tony Parkers or Manu Ginobili's waiting for us to pick them. Too many teams now scout Europe, and have seen our success for really good players to fall to us any more.
    Like I said: "You wont get an all start with this pick" .
    Even if you could get a TP or MG they are not bigs. That's my point. Getting a good big so late in the draft is almost impossible, how many times has that happen for any team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said: "You wont get an all start with this pick" .
    Even if you could get a TP or MG they are not bigs. That's my point. Getting a good big so late in the draft is almost impossible, how many times has that happen for any team?
    Almost never. You can get a roster quality big, though, and we'll probably need two, with Blair and Bonner likely rolling off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost never. You can get a roster quality big, though, and we'll probably need two, with Blair and Bonner likely rolling off.
    I think we already have Blair's replacement, it's Baynes.

I know Bruno mentioned how much more $ we'd have under the cap if we cut or amnestied Bonner, but I see no sign from Pop that he would do so. Bonner is playing key minutes and doing the best he's played in the playoffs. He's basically doing everything Pop could hope he would do. A stretch 4 who does that for under $4M, I have to think Pop wants to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That said, we do need another big developing now so that he'd be ready in a year or two. So Lucas, if he is maturing, sounds like a good pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago could get a ridiculous offer, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago could get a ridiculous offer, too.
    Thats my biggest concern. If he is gone, we are in trouble, or at least Baynes will have the chance to show what he has.
    I rather get a big at FA. So we know what we get.
    I think a SG or SF player, can play better with the Spurs than with his college or current team in Europe. I don't think a center o a PF can. The Spurs know what they do (they have a system), players know their role, get open shots, etc. Now a big guy is another story, having s system, having tons of plays to run, doesn't help a center get rebounds.
    Does that make sense or am I way off here?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ interesting, this is this FIRST time I hear anyone indicate he has a "good" motor. Did he turn a corner?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok, I watched the video.

First thing I noticed, he averages only 14 minutes. Why?
    Not an option for offense, no jumpshot. Most of his FG are lobs or standing dunks from P&Rs.
    The strange thing is that he averages 5.4 PPG, only playing 14 minutes! That should be a good thing..right?
    Good rebounder and blocker, averaging 3.4 and 1.1, only in 14 minutes. Not bad.
    Missed a few practices...not a good sign.

He looks like a softer version of Javale...or maybe I'm crazy.
    He is not 18, he is gonna be 21 in July.

Not sure about his guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok, I watched the video.

First thing I noticed, he averages only 14 minutes. Why?
    Not an option for offense, no jumpshot. Most of his FG are lobs or standing dunks from P&Rs.
    The strange thing is that he averages 5.4 PPG, only playing 14 minutes! That should be a good thing..right?
    Good rebounder and blocker, averaging 3.4 and 1.1, only in 14 minutes. Not bad.
    Missed a few practices...not a good sign.

He looks like a softer version of Javale...or maybe I'm crazy.
    He is not 18, he is gonna be 21 in July.

Not sure about his guy.
    You just wrote the position description for pick #28. If you were sure about him, he'd go in the top 5 in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just wrote the position description for pick #28. If you were sure about him, he'd go in the top 5 in the draft.
    I know...but for some reason I think theres something about this guy that we dont know.
    Why does he play only 14 min? Whats that?
    Missed practices?
    Is this guy better than Baynes?
    Those are my doubts, thats why Im not sure...
    Theres gonna be better options than this guy, thats my point.
    But then again, who knows!? I thought the Memphis series was gonna be a long one...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a team wants a 7'6 wing span that can run the floor like a gazelle while grabbing rebounds, blocking and feeding on putbacks, this is probably a good pick. Maybe he develops some shooting and postup game later, but I don't see many coaches and front offices in the NBA with patience and will to develop big men potential. Spurs, probably, but I'm afraid the Duncan era will be over when this kid gets to USA.

Thread Information