My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf is going on with the Angels?

In part: Some organizations reward young stars. Derek Jeter was renewed after winning the AL rookie of the year in 1996, but the New York Yankees more than tripled his salary, from $130,000 to $550,000.

After Albert Pujols won National League rookie of the year and finished fourth in MVP voting in 2001, the St. Louis Cardinals bumped his salary from $200,000 to $600,000. The last 10 rookies of the year made an average of 21% over the minimum the following year.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,2185544.story

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No loyalty, that's what's going on.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Well the amount of money they've spent the last two seasons on Albert, Wilson, and Hamilton probably is pinching Moreno's wallet pretty bad. And the way the MLB works, they aren't obligated to pay him any more than they did, even for the next couple years until he gets into his arbitration years. Sucks for Trout, but I kind of get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the amount of money they've spent the last two seasons on Albert, Wilson, and Hamilton probably is pinching Moreno's wallet pretty bad.
    Morenos wallet
    How much has Trout put in Morenos wallet thru increased attendance etc etc? I've talked to plenty of folks who went to a game primarily based on seeing Trout. Ditto tv viewership which means increased ad revenue. Trouts salary/production ratio was the best in prolly the last 30+ years of MLB.

Another comparison: Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper, the reigning NL Rookie of the Year, will make $750,000 this season under terms of the five-year deal he signed through 2015.
    Harper hit .270 with 22 homers, 59 RBIs and 18 stolen bases in 139 games last season.

And the way the MLB works, they aren't obligated to pay him any more than they did, even for the next couple years until he gets into his arbitration years. Sucks for Trout, but I kind of get it.
    Aren't obligated? Are you serious? The guy put up an all time Willy Mays type season. The Yankees and Cardinals and all the other teams that rewarded their kick ass rookies were not obligated either. That's the whole point is that they are not obligated via letter of law but should. Ass s giving Hamilton millions but stiffing Trout. Unreal.

Hope this doesn't seal the deal for Trout splitting to the Skunkies or some other team the minute his Angels rookie contract is over.

And how about forcing him out of Center over to Left. Not what he wanted.
    Go Skoshia. .

Can't wait til The Machine weighs in on this.
    Last edited by Fabbs; 03-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm shocked about them moving him out of center field - Trout is a beast out there in center. Why would they move him to left?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.facebook.com/firemikescioscia ^^^ Don't know for a fact but it would surely seem the manager makes field position changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasting money on TOSB pujols..
    Trout will be gone soon enough with no reward for an amazing year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasting money on TOSB pujols..
    Trout will be gone soon enough with no reward for an amazing year

No offense, but this post is way off base.

For starters, Trout isn't even eligible for arbitration until 2014 and won't be a free agent until 2016. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. I'd say there's a 99.9% chance he gets locked up to a lucrative long-term deal WELL before he hits free agency.

Secondly, Pujols' 2012 season screams "outlier" and ended up much better than it started. I'd bet Pujols returns to form in 2013.

As for the Trout shift to left, it says more about how little they value Vernon Wells that Peter Bourjos gets the start. And since Bourjos profiles as a natural CF with better overall defense, I can see why they made the move.

The other consideration is that Bourjos is probably the most likely to be traded with the crowded outfield. I'm sure they want to showcase his defensive value at his natural position.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Morenos wallet
    How much has Trout put in Morenos wallet thru increased attendance etc etc? I've talked to plenty of folks who went to a game primarily based on seeing Trout. Ditto tv viewership which means increased ad revenue. Trouts salary/production ratio was the best in prolly the last 30+ years of MLB.

Another comparison: Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper, the reigning NL Rookie of the Year, will make $750,000 this season under terms of the five-year deal he signed through 2015.
    Harper hit .270 with 22 homers, 59 RBIs and 18 stolen bases in 139 games last season.
    I never said I agreed with the decision. I was just trying to find a reason behind it. Trout should absolutely get the maximum increase allowable under MLB salary rules. But my guess is that Moreno is pinching pennies because he's thrown crazy money around the last couple seasons. Doesn't make it right or justified. But maybe that's a factor to explain it. Or the Angels are getting prepared to offer him a huge deal like the Rays did with Longoria at some point this season so this season's salary may become a moot point. But of course Trout deserves a much bigger pay raise.

Aren't obligated? Are you serious? The guy put up an all time Willy Mays type season. The Yankees and Cardinals and all the other teams that rewarded their kick ass rookies were not obligated either. That's the whole point is that they are not obligated via letter of law but should. Ass s giving Hamilton millions but stiffing Trout. Unreal.

Hope this doesn't seal the deal for Trout splitting to the Skunkies or some other team the minute his Angels rookie contract is over.

And how about forcing him out of Center over to Left. Not what he wanted.
    Go Skoshia. .

Can't wait til The Machine weighs in on this.
    No, they aren't obligated under the CBA and salary rules. For the first three seasons of a player's major league career, there are salary parameters and teams don't have to go outside those parameters because there is no risk in losing the player. The player is pretty much at the mercy of the team's discretion those first three years. It's not like he can hold out or force a trade. He can't. And there is no arbitration resolution the player can resort to when something like this happens. The Angels are not obligated to give him a higher raise no matter what kind of season he had.

The decision however doesn't do much for future negotiations since it obviously disappointed and more likely pissed off Trout and his agent. But like I said earlier, the Angels can get back in his good graces if they are planning and preparing to offer him a huge contract offer to wipe out the current salary and through his arbitration years.

A couple months into last season on another messageboard, I said the Angels should have locked Trout up to a longterm contract through his arbitration years the way the Rays did with Evan Longoria one week into his career. But because of Trout's historic season, no way were he and his agent going to settle for something like $20 million over 6 years (Longoria got $17.5M over 6 years but again that was only one week into his major league career). A guaranteed contract for something like $20M would be great for any other rookie, but you can bet Trout is looking to do something else historic, and that's to get paid like no other second year player has ever been paid.

As for moving Trout to LF, I don't think that's a big deal other than it might hurt Trout's ego a little bit. For the last two seasons, I've heard Angels fans talk about how Peter Bourjos is a gold glove caliber CF. He's every bit as fast as Trout, maybe faster. And he might cover more ground in CF. When Bourjos was a late game defensive sub last season, they often moved Trout to LF. Another consideration is that Bourjos might not be a good corner outfielder, whereas you know Trout can handle being in the corner. The only argument against the move is to placate Trout's ego. I think Trout will get over it. It shouldn't even be a big issue imo. Certainly, it's not the issue of his small pay increase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the max Trout can be offered now?
    Does he have to play out his rookie contract before getting 25 mil a year type money? If so how long til rookie contract ends?

And why not force Bourgas into Left?
    If he or Trout has to be forced to Left, why force Trout and not Bourgas.
    Faster then Trout? No way no how. Tactically just as good? Okay that i can believe is possible.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I don't know what the max Trout can be offered right now. What I do know is that in the first three seasons of a player's MLB career, that player has basically zero leverage in his salary. The minimum salary for MLB players is something like $450,000. Raises the following two years are generally minimal and insignificant. It's something like $450,000 the first season, then $490,000 the second year, then like $600,000 the third year. Then the player's gets into his arbitration years and finally has leverage in that if they can't agree to a salary, an arbitrator will decide on each side's offer.

MLB has a salary system that really favors owners the first 6 years of a players career. It's very unique in that young stars really have to prove their worth year after year the first 6 seasons to really get paid the big money. But once they get past arbitration, if they've been really good and consistent, they can get paid ridiculous money and it's all guaranteed. Basically, the Angels can pay Trout whatever they want the next two seasons. And unless they agree to a longterm deal that wipes out his arbitration years, they can go year to year the following three years. In his fourth year, if they don't agree to a contract and he's still putting up video game numbers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make $20 million.

I don't believe Bourjos has ever played any other position other than CF. We all know Trout can play the corner and play it well. Bourjos is a natural CF.

I don't feel like looking up articles or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure baseball people have said Bourjos is faster than Trout.

Thread Information