Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space doesn't ONLY have to be used for FAs. OKC did a great job of leveraging theirs into draft picks/players taken in exchange for cap/tax relief for other teams while they were building. This is even MORE important with the stricter tax rules coming into effect this summer. OKC got the pick for Ibaka, PG Eric Maynor, and SG DaQuan Cook this way.
    Like I said, even with Millsap, the Spurs should still have at least a decent amount of cap space in two years time and definitely enough to make the types of moves you alluded to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I`m not a fan of signing Paul Millsap. As it was mentioned above, he wont help Spurs beat Miami. With or without him, Spurs have really thin chances against LeBron and co. I would go after guys like Gerald Henderson, Timofey Mozgov and Emeka Okafor (I do believe he has early termation and couldnt find reason for Wizard to keep him for 14mln). They should be going to be cheaper than Millsap and vets like Dunleavy, Korver etc for same roster spots and they could`ve better impact next year and future.

Or simply go all in, and try to land Al Jefferson, who is going to be the best player in this year free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are saying Millsap won't help us beat Miami, I have to say I disagree.

First of all, he could cover a lot of Timmys minutes during the season to keep him fresher for the playoffs.

Second, the main point against Miami is about keeping 2 big men on the court. If we can do that then he would be a high upgrade over Diaw. If we can't, we might as well not re sign Splitter and just play with Duncan in the playoffs and throw everything at Josh Smith and go small.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are saying Millsap won't help us beat Miami, I have to say I disagree.

First of all, he could cover a lot of Timmys minutes during the season to keep him fresher for the playoffs.

Second, the main point against Miami is about keeping 2 big men on the court. If we can do that then he would be a high upgrade over Diaw. If we can't, we might as well not re sign Splitter and just play with Duncan in the playoffs and throw everything at Josh Smith and go small.
    Exactly. It may take a transcendent, in their prime player, to beat the Heat, but obviously that's not realistic. So the next best thing is to stock the team with as many good players as possible, who fit together and who can work against them. He fits the bill on all counts.

You think of their best/closing five, with the big three, Chalmers/Allen and Battier. They would have serious difficulty holding their own on the glass against Duncan and Millsap, plus they'd have to defend five guys who can all get their own and all make a jump shot. Millsap may be just okay as a rebounder and James can easily defend him in the post (Battier less so, but they could get away with for stretches), but in tandem with Duncan, their lineup would have difficulty holding their own on the glass and if James has to defend him, then he can't slide over to Parker, Ginobili or Leonard (obviously, he'd only be an option if he takes a significant step forward next season), if they're going off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Splitter laying an egg, how do you guys think Millsap would fit if the Spurs were to make the switch?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas Robinson is cheaper and Pau Gasol is better value for the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Splitter laying an egg, how do you guys think Millsap would fit if the Spurs were to make the switch?
    I wouldn't take Millsap over Splitter, and we won't have the cap room to get both. Unless Manu takes the Room Exception, we won't get a quality player in free agency this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put Millsap and Al Jefferson in the same boat as decent players who can demand more money than they're worth because they put up good offensive numbers. The Spurs have have managed to assemble a bunch of long young defenders in Leonard, Green, and Splitter who actually like to play defense... I'd hate to see them mess with that by signing an overpriced, slightly undersized PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are our realistic chances of picking this guy up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some predicting the Spurs to pick him up:

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
    Paul Millsap is an unheralded, undersized power forward that brings a lot to the table and doesn’t take much off.
    While he’s not going to score 50 points or grab 30 rebounds, the seven-year veteran brings his lunch pail and blue collar work ethic every time he steps onto the court.
    He’s an extremely efficient player that is capable of defending effectively despite his height limitations, has range out to the three-point line to draw defenders and does all the little things to help the Utah Jazz win.
    For those reasons, we think he’d be a perfect acquisition for the aging San Antonio Spurs, who could use another big man to compliment the frontcourt rotation.
    If Millsap is able to log 30 minutes a night, San Antonio will be fresher for the playoffs and have a better chance of succeeding after the regular-season grind.

Prediction: San Antonio Spurs

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are our realistic chances of picking this guy up?
    Chances of getting Millsap 40%..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs have around $10M in cap space after resigning Manu, Millsap would be my primary FA target.
    Millsap would be a decent signing, but I think POP values Iggy more over Millsap...

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Su iously quiet. #Dogprayer.GIF

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, he's down the list of bigmen. His situation will be determined when those of Howard, Jefferson, and Bynum are settled. And even then teams may wait and see what happens with Splitter, Asik, Pekovic. He's good, but those other guys are either better or taller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder the value. I will be pissed if it's a below market value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 years 19M

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make sense, though a Milsap Hortford front court is a big undersized.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder the value. I will be pissed if it's a below market value
    Paul Milsap was 30th in WS last year.
    The 30th highest salary was $13,305,000 (Luol Deng).

$13,305,000 > $9,500, 000

CGD, expect to add Asik into the Hawks front court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make sense, though a Milsap Hortford front court is a big undersized.
    One of the reasons they want Josh Smith to move on is to play Hortford at his natural position , which is PF. Milsap will play SF. Look for Atlanta to still make a play for a center. Asik looks good in a sign and trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A rotational lineup of Asik/Millsap/Horford would be tough to beat.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    future spur.

Thread Information