Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to play original hardware, there is now an easy way to burn DVDs to play on an unmodded PS2, don't even need Free McBoot anymore to play burned games. Still need Free McBoot if you want to play PS2 games off a hard drive or from your network though. Also PS1 now has a new softmod called Tonyhax that works to let you play any burned CD game if you have an original copy of Tony Hawk 2, 3, or 4 on PS1 as well as an exploited savefile on your memory card. If you have a Free McBoot memory card and a compatible PS2 it's easy to make a Tonyhax memory card for softmodding PS1. Though IMO the most exciting recent news is the yellow light of death plaguing fat PS3 turns out to be caused by two simple off the shelf capacitors going bad, and they're really easy to replace it you have any soldering skills. So a BC CECHA0x or CECHB0x sounds like an incredible buy for playing PS1, PS2, and PS3 in one box over HDMI. Plus it has the best softmod of any of those systems, where you can just do it one time and forget. Though if I wanted to play PS1 on original hardware I'd do the XStation mod to load games off microSD, since PS3 emulates PS1 games and the scrolling is a little messed up vs playing on a real PS1. CECHA0x and CECHB0x PS3 play PS2 games in actual PS2 hardware though, so no compromises playing PS2 games going that route.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-27-2021 at 07:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And for anyone who wants an HDMI SNES/NES, damn the SNES Classic is pretty ing sweet. Only emulation I have ever found that plays Super Mario World with low enough lag that I can play the game constantly holding the run button and still pull off the pinpoint jumps like I used to do on a real SNES. Controllers feel just like the real thing too. Plus you can mod the SNES Classic to dump the ty games like Super Ghouls n Ghosts (Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was 100x better) and put good games on, and then dual boot with the NES Classic OS and do the same to dump games like Ice Climber, Pacman, and Galaga (those NES ports suck compared to playing on MAME) and put good on. Plus the NES Classic OS plays Famicom and Famicom Disk System games right out of the box, so you can play JP only games like the real Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic (the game Nintendo of America romhacked into the US Super Mario Bros 2), or the Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid that had much better sound since they came out on Famicom Disk System in Japan. Zelda 2 is a bit different on the JP version too. Plus you can use NES Classic controllers on the SNES Classic for when you boot into the NES Classic OS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And for anyone who wants an HDMI SNES/NES, damn the SNES Classic is pretty ing sweet. Only emulation I have ever found that plays Super Mario World with low enough lag that I can play the game constantly holding the run button and still pull off the pinpoint jumps like I used to do on a real SNES. Controllers feel just like the real thing too. Plus you can mod the SNES Classic to dump the ty games like Super Ghouls n Ghosts (Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was 100x better) and put good games on, and then dual boot with the NES Classic OS and do the same to dump games like Ice Climber, Pacman, and Galaga (those NES ports suck compared to playing on MAME) and put good on. Plus the NES Classic OS plays Famicom and Famicom Disk System games right out of the box, so you can play JP only games like the real Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic (the game Nintendo of America romhacked into the US Super Mario Bros 2), or the Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid that had much better sound since they came out on Famicom Disk System in Japan. Zelda 2 is a bit different on the JP version too. Plus you can use NES Classic controllers on the SNES Classic for when you boot into the NES Classic OS.
    You bought that at 250?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You bought that at 250?
    Got it a few years back when they were $80. I see them on ebay right now for $120 and I think they're easily worth that as long as you're getting the legit SNES Classic and not some crap knockoff. I strongly prefer playing it to the SNES and NES games on Switch Online.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got it a few years back when they were $80. I see them on ebay right now for $120 and I think they're easily worth that as long as you're getting the legit SNES Classic and not some crap knockoff. I strongly prefer playing it to the SNES and NES games on Switch Online.
    How can you replace and add games to it? Seems like a security oversight by Nintendo there. Odd considering how stingy they are with their games and consoles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you replace and add games to it? Seems like a security oversight by Nintendo there. Odd considering how stingy they are with their games and consoles.
    It's powered via USB so you can inject games into it through that USB port. Check out tutorials for hakchi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , just found out Tonyhax also works to play burned PS1 games on SCPH-30001 and SCPH-39001 PS2 Fats. I'm going to have to pick up a PS1 memory card and one of the compatible games now since my PS2 is an SCPH-39001. The Free McBoot hack for PS2 games is awesome but leads to trash performance on PS1 roms / PS1 burned discs since it runs on the PS2's PS1 processor but now Tonyhax lets me use my PS2 also as a softmodded PS1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want a PS2 slim but I have legit OCD(I go crazy trying to fix scratches and ) and I hate buying used consoles. Not sure if I want to fork out 800+ for a new one though. Plus I'd want a new CRT to play it on and that's another 4-5 hundred bucks. I might pull the trigger though, I'm itching to play Underground 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want a PS2 slim but I have legit OCD(I go crazy trying to fix scratches and ) and I hate buying used consoles. Not sure if I want to fork out 800+ for a new one though. Plus I'd want a new CRT to play it on and that's another 4-5 hundred bucks. I might pull the trigger though, I'm itching to play Underground 2.
    If your HDTV has component input and doesn't crap itself over a 480i signal you can still get a nice picture out of a PS2. Not as clean as component is on a CRT but still every bit as good as if you were playing PS2 on a backward compatible PS3 over HDMI. The cable I use was like $15 from Gamestop and my PS2 looks pretty nice on the bigscreen.

Why Slimline over Fat though? Just because it's smaller and quieter? These days there are a few good options for playing pirated PS2 games. From best to worst I'd rank them

1. Off an internal hard drive or internal SD card
    2. Off a burned DVD
    3. Shared from your PC over the network

For option 1 you probably want to have a PS2 fat. There are ways to use an internal SD card with a Slimline but they require some tricky soldering. Using an SD card or any kind of drive through the USB ports sucks, don't bother with it. Your games will run like doing this through the USB ports, as they're way too slow. You 100% want to do this through the network / hard drive adapter if you go this route to get good performance.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass but I can give you some pointers on how to do it if you're interested. No soldering or anything like that needed for a PS2 Fat though. This one is best IMO since it speeds up load times vs reading from the DVD. This will require buying a Free McBoot memory card (about $15 to $20 on ebay last I checked) plus a network adapter (there is a place in town selling them for $10), plus another $20 to $30 worth of adapters if you do the SD card method (depending on how you want to transfer games to your SD card), or another $15 or so if you want to use a SATA hard drive. There is virtually no difference between hard drive vs a Class 10 SD card for read speeds.

For option 2 your best bet is buying a Slimline, as the FreeDVDBoot works on all Slimline PS2. It works on many Fat PS2 also, but is dependent on which firmware and DVD drive in a given Fat PS2, which you won't know just looking at it from the outside before buying. This doesn't require buying anything extra, as the hack comes from using a program to embed the hack into the DVD you burn when you burn a copy of a game to disc. This is easily the least hassle free method, and will run just like playing legit discs. So no speedup in load times like you'd get in option 1.

For option 3 you can use any PS2 other than an SCPH-90000 series Slimline, eg the last model of PS2 Slimline ever launched. This is what the SCPH-90000 series PS2 Slimline look like:

Any other PS2 Slimline is fine though. Eg the models that look like this with the glossy center stripe are fine:

For this option you'll need a Free McBoot memory card and if you buy a PS2 Fat you'll also need the official PS2 network adapter. Though if you want to do this method you should really go Slimline (other than SCPH-90000 series) since they have a built in ethernet adapter. Then you'd connect the PS2 to your router via an ethernet cable and share roms from your PC. This is the method I use right now and it works really well most of the time, though there are a few games you'll get stutter in full motion video cutscenes doing this. And if you're running a lot of crap on your PC at the time and low on available memory you'll notice stutters in FMV cutscenes. I have yet to run into a game that stutters at all in actual gameplay though out of the 50 or so I have played using this method.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-27-2021 at 07:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And PS2 emulation sucks bad, so you either want a real PS2 or CECHA0x or CECHB0x PS3 to play PS2 games. Nothing else plays them well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't worth making a new thread, but do any of you have a preinstalled Android retro device to recommend? I'm looking for one of the chinese made ones, but not sure which one is considered the best..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't worth making a new thread, but do any of you have a preinstalled Android retro device to recommend? I'm looking for one of the chinese made ones, but not sure which one is considered the best..
    Are you talking about the Chinese retro gaming handhelds? Why buy that crap? They're not cheap from what I have seen. Get a hackable Switch or a Vita. If you're just looking for NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, GBA, and MAME the Switch is an awesome handheld for it. PS1 is ok too. N64 is kind of a crapshoot, but N64 is tough to emulate on everything but PC and Nvidia Shield. Vita can do all that Switch can do on emulation while also giving rock solid PS1 and PSP support. The Vita hack is easy and any Vita is hackable, plus there is a $6 adapter you can buy on Amazon to use a microSD instead of the garbage Vita memory cards. As for Switch, whether its hackable can be ascertained from the serial. If you're interested I'll send you a link to the serials you want to look for.

If you're talking an emulation box to connect to the TV, Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best, though if you check ETA Prime's youtube channel he does a lot of reviews of single board emulation systems at all price points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you talking about the Chinese retro gaming handhelds? Why buy that crap? They're not cheap from what I have seen. Get a hackable Switch or a Vita. If you're just looking for NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, GBA, and MAME the Switch is an awesome handheld for it. PS1 is ok too. N64 is kind of a crapshoot, but N64 is tough to emulate on everything but PC and Nvidia Shield. Vita can do all that Switch can do on emulation while also giving rock solid PS1 and PSP support. The Vita hack is easy and any Vita is hackable, plus there is a $6 adapter you can buy on Amazon to use a microSD instead of the garbage Vita memory cards. As for Switch, whether its hackable can be ascertained from the serial. If you're interested I'll send you a link to the serials you want to look for.

If you're talking an emulation box to connect to the TV, Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best, though if you check ETA Prime's youtube channel he does a lot of reviews of single board emulation systems at all price points.
    Nah, not the hand helds.. The Android boxes that are pre-installed.. I know the Shield is the most powerful, but I want to purchase a cheap Chinese one that has everything pre-installed and runs up to PS1 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, not the hand helds.. The Android boxes that are pre-installed.. I know the Shield is the most powerful, but I want to purchase a cheap Chinese one that has everything pre-installed and runs up to PS1 games
    Is it hard to put emulators and roms on a Shield? Or does Shield not let you store a bunch of on an SD card? Don't know what to recommend in that case, but if it comes from China it's probably going to have lousy emulation and a bunch of crap games and romhacks. I have tried some of those cheap Chinese NES Classic knockoffs and they're horrible. Not in the I'm an NES purist kind of way, but in the these controls are too laggy to play the game without dying all the time and the pad is mushy as kind of way.

If you care a lot about PS1 performance you might consider the Playstation TV, which is a version of the Vita that can be connected to a TV. You'll get really solid performance for PS1, PSP, and Vita games in addition to the easy to run stuff like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc., though a lot of Vita games won't run on it since they depend on the camera and gyro controls. You can hack it too, but you'd need to buy a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 to use it. But obviously that requires doing some legwork, won't get it with everything pre-installed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If your HDTV has component input and doesn't crap itself over a 480i signal you can still get a nice picture out of a PS2. Not as clean as component is on a CRT but still every bit as good as if you were playing PS2 on a backward compatible PS3 over HDMI. The cable I use was like $15 from Gamestop and my PS2 looks pretty nice on the bigscreen.

Why Slimline over Fat though? Just because it's smaller and quieter? These days there are a few good options for playing pirated PS2 games. From best to worst I'd rank them

1. Off an internal hard drive or internal SD card
    2. Off a burned DVD
    3. Shared from your PC over the network

For option 1 you probably want to have a PS2 fat. There are ways to use an internal SD card with a Slimline but they require some tricky soldering. Using an SD card or any kind of drive through the USB ports sucks, don't bother with it. Your games will run like doing this through the USB ports, as they're way too slow. You 100% want to do this through the network / hard drive adapter if you go this route to get good performance.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass but I can give you some pointers on how to do it if you're interested. No soldering or anything like that needed for a PS2 Fat though. This one is best IMO since it speeds up load times vs reading from the DVD. This will require buying a Free McBoot memory card (about $15 to $20 on ebay last I checked) plus a network adapter (there is a place in town selling them for $10), plus another $20 to $30 worth of adapters if you do the SD card method (depending on how you want to transfer games to your SD card), or another $15 or so if you want to use a SATA hard drive. There is virtually no difference between hard drive vs a Class 10 SD card for read speeds.

For option 2 your best bet is buying a Slimline, as the FreeDVDBoot works on all Slimline PS2. It works on many Fat PS2 also, but is dependent on which firmware and DVD drive in a given Fat PS2, which you won't know just looking at it from the outside before buying. This doesn't require buying anything extra, as the hack comes from using a program to embed the hack into the DVD you burn when you burn a copy of a game to disc. This is easily the least hassle free method, and will run just like playing legit discs. So no speedup in load times like you'd get in option 1.

For option 3 you can use any PS2 other than an SCPH-90000 series Slimline, eg the last model of PS2 Slimline ever launched. This is what the SCPH-90000 series PS2 Slimline look like:

Any other PS2 Slimline is fine though. Eg the models that look like this with the glossy center stripe are fine:

For this option you'll need a Free McBoot memory card and if you buy a PS2 Fat you'll also need the official PS2 network adapter. Though if you want to do this method you should really go Slimline (other than SCPH-90000 series) since they have a built in ethernet adapter. Then you'd connect the PS2 to your router via an ethernet cable and share roms from your PC. This is the method I use right now and it works really well most of the time, though there are a few games you'll get stutter in full motion video cutscenes doing this. And if you're running a lot of crap on your PC at the time and low on available memory you'll notice stutters in FMV cutscenes. I have yet to run into a game that stutters at all in actual gameplay though out of the 50 or so I have played using this method.
    Thanks for the informative post Bum, I appreciate it. And tbh I'm not a huge gamer, I do like games but for the PS2 and CRT it's mostly the nostalgia factor. If I do end up picking one up I'd only be looking to play around 10 les or less. I only remember a select few, Need for Speed games were always the top of the list for me, followed by SSX Tricky, I ing LOVED that game. Lol. I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing that on my friend's dad "big screen" TV. Were there any good Tony Hawk games on PS2? I mostly remember playing them on PS1. And , now that I think about it I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those lame ass Disney games. I liked the Atlantis and Donald Duck one growing up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the informative post Bum, I appreciate it. And tbh I'm not a huge gamer, I do like games but for the PS2 and CRT it's mostly the nostalgia factor. If I do end up picking one up I'd only be looking to play around 10 les or less. I only remember a select few, Need for Speed games were always the top of the list for me, followed by SSX Tricky, I ing LOVED that game. Lol. I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing that on my friend's dad "big screen" TV. Were there any good Tony Hawk games on PS2? I mostly remember playing them on PS1. And , now that I think about it I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those lame ass Disney games. I liked the Atlantis and Donald Duck one growing up.
    Funny, when I found a PS2 for $20 at Goodwill like 3-4 years ago got it home and turned out it had a working copy of SSX3 in the disc tray. Never played SSX Tricky, but ing loved SSX3. Well, CRT is definitely the best way to go on PS2, especially if you have S-Video or Component on your CRT. I don't know when the Tony Hawk games started being designed for PS2. But I remember there was an amazing PC port of Tony Hawk 2 that I played the out of in the late 90s, early 00s. It looked so much better than the N64 and PS1 versions. Damn I wish I still had it to see if it would work on modern Windows (think the highest I played it on was XP).

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hawks-Pr.../dp/B00004U55D

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, actually found the full game on an abandonware site

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/t...o-skater-2-a2e

I wonder if there is any way to get a modern controller to work on it. God damnit why did I throw out my old Gravis Gamepads

Thread Information