thank you
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was a center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    '06-'07 was the season he became a full time C. Sure, they pretended Oberto and Elson were the C's, but they pretend everyone opposite him is, from Jeremy Richardson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...801210CHA.html) to Diaw.

Never really understood the never ending "Is Duncan a PF or a C?" debate. Quite clearly, he's a C, who primarily played PF his first nine seasons because the Spurs had an all-time great C already in place when he was drafted. So what? Was Rodriguez not the greatest SS of all time because he was over sized for the position, had a unique skill set for it and later moved to 3B?

1. Duncan
    2. Malone
    3. Garnett
    4. Barkley
    5. Nowitzki
    6. McHale
    7. Gasol (Let's not pretend he's too not a C, who's masqueraded as a PF for the majority of his career)
    8. Pet
    9. Hayes
    10. Webber
    Great points here. I agree 100%.

I would shuffle the order a bit.

Duncan
    Malone
    Barkley
    Dirk
    The rest looks good

The most impressive thing TD did in his career is win a ring with AJ as the starting pg, that in an of itself is amazing.

To be able to win it all again by leading a completely different set of players to the promised land is almost as equally impressive.

The Greatest Show on Earth LakeShow's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Let me ask Spurs Fan's this question, What is your argument for Duncan as the best excluding les? Don't give me this bull that you have to because there are a many of great players to never win a le. les are a team accomplishment. If you want to go with les you have to go with Robert Horry. I'm talking about numbers. I'm not a big fan of Malone's but I can not overlook the astronomical numbers that he put up. He's clearly the best PF to ever play.

P.S. Duncan's a PF/C

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL at Pau at 7 ...Never saw Hayes or Pe but pretty sure the big E in his peak was a better player than Pau. Pau vs. Cwebb is interesting. Despite PAu's great skill-set not sure P{au is better but rings matter a lot to me ... and PAu was the second option on 3 Finals teams winning two.

Not sure how Malone gets the nod over Tim for some people. But if we consider Duncan a center that is amuch more interesting debate I give him the slight edge on Shaq ... behind Kareem out of guys I have seen.
    I never saw them play either and generally speaking, I wouldn't rely almost entirely on advanced stats, but in this case, it's not only about the best I can do but I also think it's appropriate given the significant gap between all three. That being said, upon further review, I'd probably swap Pet and Gasol, but not Hayes.

As I alluded to, Duncan should be considered as both a PF ('97-'06) and a C ('06-present). He's clearly the best in the former and at the very least, amongst the top five in the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan
    Malone
    Dirk
    McHale
    Barkley
    KG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me ask Spurs Fan's this question, What is your argument for Duncan as the best excluding les? Don't give me this bull that you have to because there are a many of great players to never win a le. les are a team accomplishment. If you want to go with les you have to go with Robert Horry. I'm talking about numbers. I'm not a big fan of Malone's but I can not overlook the astronomical numbers that he put up. He's clearly the best PF to ever play.

P.S. Duncan's a PF/C
    The impact you have on a game has to do with alot more than just numbers.

Duncan was the better post player that drew more attention and opened up the floor for his teammates. A good portion of Malones points came off of assisted midrange jumpers off the pick and roll. Duncan was also the better defender. Not that Malone was a slouch in either of those areas but Duncan was just better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

P.S. Duncan's a PF/C
    Malone is a proven choker, had a top 5 player of his generation and couldn't win , had a top 3 coach and couldn't win , always underperformed in the playoffs.

Duncan is a much better defender/rebounder/all around player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe once the fresh scent of 2011 wears off more people will realize how stupid it is/was to ever rate Dirk #2 or over KG. Looks like some s have already come to that realization.
    this needed to be said, although that 2011 postseason run by dirk was one for the ages. one of the best in recent memory

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The impact you have on a game has to do with alot more than just numbers.

Duncan was the better post player that drew more attention and opened up the floor for his teammates. A good portion of Malones points came off of assisted midrange jumpers off the pick and roll. Duncan was also the better defender. Not that Malone was a slouch in either of those areas but Duncan was just better.
    You think Malone didn't have an impact on the game? C'mon

Malone was an excellent post player. It doesn't matter if he had a good passer playing with him, he still has to catch the ball and put it in and he did that with the best of them.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Malone is a proven choker, had a top 5 player of his generation and couldn't win , had a top 3 coach and couldn't win , always underperformed in the playoffs.

Duncan is a much better defender/rebounder/all around player
    He also had Michael Jordan and the Bulls to contend with.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ...and of course his defense was better and he was a better rebounder he was a 7 foot center guarding 6'-6" - 6'9" power forwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PF or C, hes still the player of the decade tbh.
    '
    This is the . yo positions, clowns.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ...and of course his defense was better and he was a better rebounder he was a 7 foot center guarding 6'-6" - 6'9" power forwards.
    whitemamba and Lkrfan - Mad props homies yall killed it in this thread...DMC scrambling for cover on the Gasol hypocrisy...no real way he can get around that one...

Nice job fellas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Malone didn't have an impact on the game? C'mon

Malone was an excellent post player. It doesn't matter if he had a good passer playing with him, he still has to catch the ball and put it in and he did that with the best of them.
    I never said that. Malone was no slouch in the post but you cant seriously think he was better than Duncan in that area.

Being so long helped him alot, for sure. In a way taller players kind of have an advantage since they can have a bigger impact (he can protect the basket for example which Malone wasnt very good at other than delivering hard fouls) but you cant seriously be holding the fact that Timmy is tall against him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I never said that. Malone was no slouch in the post but you cant seriously think he was better than Duncan in that area.
    Well I've seen them both play and I cant seriously say Duncan was better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I've seen them both play and I cant seriously say Duncan was better.
    Malone was better and more dominant in the post than Timmy ?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Malone was better and more dominant in the post than Timmy ?
    I didn't say that. I would call it a draw. They both suck equally. I hate them!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also had Michael Jordan and the Bulls to contend with.
    Holy , he lost to MJ in all his 19 seasons

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Holy , he lost to MJ in all his 19 seasons
    He lost to Magic and the Lakers as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He lost to Magic and the Lakers as well.
    So your point is: Malone is better because he LOST to great players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

P.S. Duncan's a PF/C
    If you toss out les and go strictly on numbers, then Malone is also ahead of Michael Jordan. He scored nearly 5,000 more points than MJ, and did it with almost 500 fewer three pointers. I doubt you are going to find many people that say Malone is better than Jordan. Stats can be padded. Malone was an all time great player, but his skill set was not as good as Duncan's. He could not affect the game the way Duncan can. The Spurs have remained an elite team no matter who they put around Duncan. He is the one constant.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So your point is: Malone is better because he LOST to great players
    No, my point is that the Lakers and Bulls had better teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, my point is that the Lakers and Bulls had better teams.
    Lakers/Pistons/Suns at some point had better teams than the Spurs, Duncan still got his rings.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    malone was a good player back in the day but i wouldn't put him anywhere above duncan or dirk tbh. malone needed great teammates (like stockton) in order for him to garner decent stats while dirk could carry his team to the finals playing with sorry asses like smokey, stack and dampier.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Interesting that there hasnt been a power forward to come out in the last decade to even sniff top ten.

The closest we have is Chris Bosh or Amare.

Thread Information