Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll gladly eat crow if Thomas does anything notable in the NBA (other then put up some points in garbage time, and that's if he ever makes the roster.) But until then, he's in the Gist/Denmon/McClinton/Williams/Holcomb zone for me (the last 5 American players Spurs drafted past the 40th pick.)

Perhaps I'm terribly misinformed, but I just don't see anything intriguing about Thomas' game in an overall perspective. He's had a couple of great scoring nights.. but.. a lot of the players can say the same thing, there's nothing else particularity interesting about him.. At least from what I know.

Personally - I'm in the Bertans/LVJ/Hanga bandwagon.
    Thomas is a pretty skilled player, but his athleticism is awful. Too awful for him to overcome, I think. I don't think he has an NBA future at all, but if he has another good summer league, I think he might be in a camp this October or next. He's the least intriguing of the recent prospects the Spurs have drafted, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, Wolves took Bojan Dubljevic at 59. That might just turn out a very nice pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...TS05/305259937

FORT WAYNE – Step 1 of Deshaun Thomas’ professional basketball career is over, and the former Bishop Luers star and Indiana Mr. Basketball hopes his next step is the NBA.

A second-round pick (No. 58 overall) in the 2013 NBA draft by the San Antonio Spurs, Thomas played this season for the JSF Nanterre team in Paris.

“It was a great experience,” Thomas said. “It was different with a different culture and a different style. It was all right to get out and see a new culture and new things. It has changed me a lot. It takes a lot of hard work to put in to be able to follow your dreams. It’s all about a fit. You never know what could happen.”

The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 12.2 points and 3.9 rebounds in leading Nanterre to the French Cup championship two weeks ago. He led the Big Ten in scoring with 19 points per game as a junior for Ohio State before turning professional.

“I was just trying to focus on staying with things mentally and getting better,” Thomas said. “I kept hearing good things from the Spurs when they were at the games and kept updated on it. I just want to keep working on my craft. Offensively we know what’s there, they just wanted to see if I could guard that 3-man (small forward) position, and I did it pretty well.”

Nanterre won the French Cup le with a 55-50 win over SLUC Nancy on May 11.

“(The le) felt great,” Thomas said. “All my life, I have been a champion. To come over here and being a professional player and win a championship was very exciting. In my career at Ohio State, we were winning Big Ten championships and were so close to winning a national championship, it was a big accomplishment.”

Thomas won back-to-back Class 2A state championships as a sop re and junior.

Thomas will again attempt to make the Spurs roster next season after playing with the team’s summer league team. If the Spurs don’t add Thomas to their 2014-15 roster, he would become a free agent. He averaged 12.4 points and 5 rebounds for the Spurs’ summer team last year.

“I just hope for the best,” Thomas, 23, said. “I am a young guy. I just hope to make that Spurs roster, and if not hopefully get on another team and just keep working. I feel like anywhere is an option as long as I am playing basketball and making money doing what I love would be great.

“It all depends on the situation and what offers are there overseas or whatever. It means anybody else could pick me up, and do the same thing and try to make their roster. I play like that is always an option.”

Thomas was in Fort Wayne for a couple of days last week to visit with friends and family before heading back to Indianapolis to train for the summer league. Being just a couple hours away, Thomas hopes to be able to get back to the Summit City more often.

“I might be able to see them more,” Thomas said.

[email protected]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kept missing the "Step 1 of" in the first sentence, and I couldn't figure out why he was retiring.

I'm glad to hear Thomas improved over the course of the year. He didn't really have a good EuroBasket season. I hope to see him being a much better player in the summer league.

He seems keen on staying in the States this time around. That's not entirely a good thing from the Spurs' perspective. I wonder if they sign him now or after the summer league. If they sign him before, I wonder how much money and how many years they'll give him. Will it just be a one- or two-year min deal, or will they dip into the MLE for a three-year deal? If they wait until after the summer league, will they try to trade him if his stock is high? He had a good SL last year, so it's not like he doesn't have some fans already.

I really don't have a ton of hope for him, unfortunately. He's pretty much fighting Daye 2.0 for a roster spot. I say that because the Spurs will likely have filled most of their spots before the tournament even begins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kept missing the "Step 1 of" in the first sentence, and I couldn't figure out why he was retiring.

I'm glad to hear Thomas improved over the course of the year. He didn't really have a good EuroBasket season. I hope to see him being a much better player in the summer league.

He seems keen on staying in the States this time around. That's not entirely a good thing from the Spurs' perspective. I wonder if they sign him now or after the summer league. If they sign him before, I wonder how much money and how many years they'll give him. Will it just be a one- or two-year min deal, or will they dip into the MLE for a three-year deal? If they wait until after the summer league, will they try to trade him if his stock is high? He had a good SL last year, so it's not like he doesn't have some fans already.

I really don't have a ton of hope for him, unfortunately. He's pretty much fighting Daye 2.0 for a roster spot. I say that because the Spurs will likely have filled most of their spots before the tournament even begins.
    No need to make any quick decisions on a contract. They have until Sept 6 to tender an offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep having the feeling that the Spurs were simply pranking Deshaun for his phone number issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they dont have room to add a better wing I'd be quite compelled to see over the course of a season who is the worst defender at the 3 between him and Beli... His real compe ion is probably Daye tho...

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep having the feeling that the Spurs were simply pranking Deshaun for his phone number issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...digas-Avellino

DeShaun Thomas is finalizing a deal with Sidigas Avellino of Italy.

Thomas spent last season in French Pro A with JSF Nanterre averaging 12.2 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.1 assists in Pro A.
    Thomas has also played in Euroleague averaging 9.5 points and 2.8 rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. He wasn't making the Spurs, and since that's the case, Thomas staying overseas with the Spurs still holding his rights is the best thing for both parties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm glad the Spurs will retain his rights, rather than have him come to camp only to cut him. I thought the choice of teams was a bit odd. The Italian League should be a step up from French Pro A League play, but it looks like Avellino isn't in the Euroleague this year (Nanterre was) and isn't in either of the other lower level compe ions either. I would have thought Thomas would sign with a better team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps he waited too long while holding out hope of staying in the domestic league? The good Euro clubs don't really need to wait on middling players like Thomas, so if he wasn't willing to commit early, I wouldn't be surprised if the teams just moved on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps he waited too long while holding out hope of staying in the domestic league? The good Euro clubs don't really need to wait on middling players like Thomas, so if he wasn't willing to commit early, I wouldn't be surprised if the teams just moved on.
    Sounds reasonable. He should get playing time. Hope he does well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year Livio is gonna come over, either Bertans or Thomas could be very disappointed cause I don't see 3 wings making the team at the same time...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year Livio is gonna come over, either Bertans or Thomas could be very disappointed cause I don't see 3 wings making the team at the same time...
    Especially not with any of them being able to play the two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jean-Charles will most likely play PF. We'll see I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Thomas will ever suit up with the Spurs during a regular season. He may get a training camp invite at best but I believe he is destined to play his career out in Europe or other international sites.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially not with any of them being able to play the two.
    Players who can't play the two, and are likely rolling off next summer: Baynes, Ayres, Bonner. In addition, Daye will probably continue his history of disappointment, and roll off. If you subtract those four players from the roster of 15, and add LJC and Bertans, plus next year's 1st rounder, that would put the Spurs at their usual 14 man roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't put Baynes out. he just played limited minutes and showed more than one time he can take his own. International games meke him look good against more than decent players. Imho he has the skills to be a reserve type center at a more than decent price and with a good amount of per game minutes, considering also that Splitter is not going to play a lot more than 30 per night...

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UPDATE: Guy just signed with FC Barcelona

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome for him. Replaces Lorbek. Could be a long-term thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Xavi Pascual, the coach, can help him turn into a small forward. Barcelona ranks among the very best defensive teams in Europe every year and there is a track record of players improving their defense in that system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on Thomas. Maybe very good for Spurs long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on Thomas. Maybe very good for Spurs long term.
    If he's ever a Spur, we're a lottery team and Pop is gone. His NBA combine agility/sprint numbers were worse than Blair, a rather chunky PF. There is no position he can defend, therefore, he will not play here under our current system. Our best case is to showcase him and flip him for an asset down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His agent is pretty good, first Nanterre who was playing the Euroleague where he probably got noticed by Barcelona since they were in the same group and now he's part of one of the top club in Europe.

Thread Information