Post Count
    Georges St-Pierre Cast as Villain in Captain America: The Winter Soldier

BY DAMON MARTIN
    (FEATURED COLUMNIST)
    ON MARCH 25, 2013

18,711 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext

Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports
    Georges St-Pierre has his next assignment, and his opponent is none other than Captain America.
    The UFC's defending welterweight champion has signed on to appear in the next installment of the Marvel film franchise surrounding the stars-and-stripes superhero, led Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    The news of St-Pierre's casting was first reported by Latino Review and later confirmed by Sportsnet reporter Joe Ferraro.
    This won't be St-Pierre's first time in front of the camera, as he has been a part of a couple of straight-to-video films in the past, but his role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier will undoubtedly be his biggest starring gig to date.
    In the film set for release in April 2014, St-Pierre will play villain Batroc the Leaper, an infamous mercenary in the Captain America universe.
    The character, created by legendary Marvel Comics company head Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, first appeared all the way back in 1966.
    Almost like the role was created for St-Pierre, Batroc the Leaper is a French martial artist who specializes in savate kickboxing. Although the character has no superpowers,Batroc has taken on Captain America several times. And at one point in history, he changed sides to become a hero, but it was a short-lived transition.
    Batroc the Leaper (photo courtesy of Marvel)
    The film Captain America: The Winter Soldier is based on the 2005 comic book of the same name written by Ed Brubaker in which the All-American hero is confronted by his former comrade, Bucky Barnes, who has been brainwashed and turned into a Soviet assassin code-named The Winter Soldier.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldierwill be released in 2014, but filming is expected to begin in late April or early May, with filming sites primarily located in Cleveland and Los Angeles.
    St-Pierre joins an all-star cast, including Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
    The first film in the franchise, Captain America: The First Avenger, grossed more than $368 million worldwide.
    As far as St-Pierre's time away from fighting to film the movie, it's expected that his character will be a secondary villain in the film, but he could be tied up for several weeks with commitments. St-Pierre could also be called back for reshoots, which happen quite often with a film the size of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    St-Pierre was already planning an extended vacation following his last fight against NickDiaz at UFC 158, so with this film now in production, it's not likely he will return until fall 2013 for another fight in the Octagon.

Post Count
    His performance was oscar worthy in Never Surrender.. Especially after they dubbed his voice..

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    Damn that D level movies

He will hug Captain America, GSP by decision

Post Count

Post Count
    The more I think about it the more I hope he stays retired. He's clearly past his prime and Dana was just such a bas on the way out. Plus there is nobody left for him to really fight.

White Mormon Pride The TroutBum's Avatar
    Post Count
    The more I think about it the more I hope he stays retired. He's clearly past his prime and Dana was just such a bas on the way out. Plus there is nobody left for him to really fight.
    For both your sakes, I hope he does. The reality is, the division is FULL of people that could own him right now. Hendricks is one of them, and I think Lawler would give him a run for his money. Dude looked old and slow against Johnny, and that's because he's starting to get that way. If he comes back, it won't be pretty. Think BJ Penn.

Post Count
    For both your sakes, I hope he does. The reality is, the division is FULL of people that could own him right now. Hendricks is one of them, and I think Lawler would give him a run for his money. Dude looked old and slow against Johnny, and that's because he's starting to get that way. If he comes back, it won't be pretty. Think BJ Penn.
    I thought he looked great in the Condit fight but honestly the writing was on the wall in the Diaz fight. Rumors were that he was sick or injured for the fight but in reality he clearly had just lost a step. Diaz hit him way too much and he had trouble in portions of the fight getting him down. While GSP won the fight fairly easily I walked away from that one feeling that the GSP of UFC 100 would have made Diaz look horrible in all areas and left the octagon without a scratch on him. His explosiveness appears to be lessened maybe by age or the injury and he is getting hit far more often. So perhaps he should just call it a career and be happy with all the great things he did. He is the WW GOAT and top 3 of all time easily in MMA..

Knowing when to walk away is a very underrated talent.

Post Count
    Honestly if he came back he might have 2 or 3 good fights left but that would be about it. I could see him doing better in a rematch with Hendricks because he's such a smart fighter and he'd be determined but he doesn't have 3 or 4 years left. Perhaps he knew that and exited now..

Post Count
    Honestly if he came back he might have 2 or 3 good fights left but that would be about it. I could see him doing better in a rematch with Hendricks because he's such a smart fighter and he'd be determined but he doesn't have 3 or 4 years left. Perhaps he knew that and exited now..
    As much as I give you for your blow job obsession with him, I really do like GSP and I hope that this is the reason. What better way to go out? It's too bad that he opened his mouth about the roids issue, because now his legacy is tainted like it or not, but who gives a , he's still top 3 of all time.

Post Count
    Based on the trailers and the movie's scope, I think he will have like 5 minutes of screen time

Post Count
    As much as I give you for your blow job obsession with him, I really do like GSP and I hope that this is the reason. What better way to go out? It's too bad that he opened his mouth about the roids issue, because now his legacy is tainted like it or not, but who gives a , he's still top 3 of all time.
    He didn't flunk a steroid test in fact he embraced steroid testing when his opponent refused to do the same. So his legacy is in no way tainted. I don't see anyone doing what he did at ww for a very long time.. Dana white being mad at a fighter is a long and illustrious list..

Post Count
    He didn't flunk a steroid test in fact he embraced steroid testing when his opponent refused to do the same. So his legacy is in no way tainted. I don't see anyone doing what he did at ww for a very long time.. Dana white being mad at a fighter is a long and illustrious list..
    You misunderstood me. I didn't mean that he was tainted by the drugs, I meant his squable with Dana soured things. (tainted was the wrong word, sorry) It would have been cool if he would have retired as the UFC Golden Boy, but oh well.

Post Count

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    Steve "Showtime" Rogers doing work.

GSP shows up in this clip from the movie

Post Count
    lol Batroc is from France, yet we are getting a French Canadian accent

Fail

Post Count
    lol Batroc is from France, yet we are getting a French Canadian accent

Fail
    They used to cast Arnold as an American spy..

Post Count
    They used to cast Arnold as an American spy..
    the problem is that accent at the end

I live in Montreal, and most French Canadians can imitate the French french accent pretty well

GSP didnt even try

Post Count
    the problem is that accent at the end

I live in Montreal, and most French Canadians can imitate the French french accent pretty well

GSP didnt even try
    The problem is, nobody -- except for the s living in Montreal -- will have any idea.

Post Count
    The problem is, nobody -- except for the s living in Montreal -- will have any idea.
    This.

The pre-release buzz is that this is actually a really good movie. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 94% right now. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/capt..._soldier_2014/

Believe.
    Post Count
    Nice example of xenophobia, well done pal. French is spoken by 350 million people in the World. So yes, people will notice.

Thread Information