My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy .

Not sure what to think about this. 9 years for a catcher (albeit one who will get breaks playing 1st) is an eternity

The deal is the longest contract ever for a catcher and second-most lucrative in terms of average annual value ever, behind Twins backstop Joe Mauer. But there's more.

• This deal is the largest contract in Giants history, surpassing Matt Cain's deal (six years, $127.5 million) from last winter.
    • This contract sets a record for the most guaranteed money to a player with fewer than three full years of service time, and it shattered the previous record (Carlos Gonzalez's seven-year, $80 million deal).
    • And it's also a record guarantee for a player with fewer than four years of service time. The previous mark was Todd Helton getting $151.45 million over the course of 11 years.
    • Before this deal, the most money that a catcher had ever made before hitting free agency was $20.8 million (Mike Napoli). Obviously, this contract dwarfs that.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...gh-2021-season

I was okay with the Cain deal, but I really thought Sabean had learned his lesson with the Zito contract.

Dude is worth bank and deserves to be rewarded for the two rings, but 9 years...

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you, 9 years is an eternity for a catcher. I wonder if they have plans to permanently move him to first.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    A move to first needs to happen soon. Wearing down his body now will destroy worth from years 5-9. Maybe sooner.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Manny Acta made a great point on ESPN. Now that the leagues are even and there will be interleague games throughout the season, SF will have plenty of opportunities to space out and carve out specific games where they can DH Posey all throughout the season. That should help a lot. And as mentioned, he'll probably get a dozen or so games at 1B as well.

A little off topic, but I don't know why more teams don't try offensive catchers at 3B. With some exceptions like Mauer and Weiters, catchers are generally shorter which is a negative at 1B. Catchers generally have strong and accurate arms. And range shouldn't be a huge deal unless the catcher is a sloth like a Benji Molina. They're used to catching and blocking 100 MPH pitches. Playing the hot corner makes as much sense as moving them to 1B. I know SF has Panda, but I just wonder if they explored the idea of Posey moving to 3B as well. Posey is one of those types of catchers athletic enough to make that transition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that the ink has dried I don't care where they play him, as long as he gets frequent rest from playing behind the plate. You mention Posey being athletic, , he could probably play anywhere other than up the middle (ss/2nd/cf) and at least be serviceable.

I think most of my trepidation still comes from that Zito deal, his performance in the playoffs last year notwithstanding. I'm just not a fan of anything over 4-5 years. Only reason I was okay with the Cain deal is because the guy is a horse, proven to be sturdy and consistent over a long period.

At the end of the day, I gotta trust Sabean. Posey has a great at ude and work ethic which should hopefully help shield him from imploding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it, move him to first this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it, move him to first this season
    He's just too good handling the staff to go full-time first base

Something you may see in the not to distant future, however

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's just too good handling the staff to go full-time first base

Something you may see in the not to distant future, however
    Well at least don't have him behind the plate full time. Dudes a freak. Keep him playing as long as possible

Thread Information