Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama Is the Driving Force Behind Cutting Your Social Security

In Obama’s ideal world old people would see their Social Security benefits cut. Even though the pension system is disappearing and the 401k system has proven to have significant issues, Obama still feels one of the biggest problems in the country he needs to address is the fact that old people have it too good.

Obama didn’t put chained-CPI in for Republicans, regardless what he may claim. While Republicans like to talk a big game on en lements they have shown no real interest in cutting benefits for current retirees, who are the most important part of their base. They even expanded en lements under Bush and they purposely set their Medicare plan to not affect anyone over age 55. Republicans didn’t even include chained-CPI in their House budget.

The single biggest driving force behind trying to cut your Social Security in Washington is President Obama. At every turn Obama has worked hard to keep the idea alive despite it is a horrible idea that is incredibly unpopular. This is not something Obama is being forced to accept, it is what he has been pushing for.

---more--->
    and

Now It’s Official: Obama Sells Catfood Futures, Um, Social Security and Medicare Cuts

Keep in mind what is happening here. We are not in the realm of Obama kayfabe, where he pretends that those big bad Republicans forced him to do what he wanted to do all along. This is Obama’s budget offer, not the result of pretend hard fought battles over positions that are at most 10 degrees apart.

There is no more pretense possible. As we’ve warned for some time, Obama is eager to put a notch on his belt by being the President that rolled back the New Deal programs that helped create broad-based middle-class prosperity and dignity. He’s cast himself as an adult inflicting discipline on profligate Americans. But in reality, the profligacy was most concentrated among elite financiers who used leverage on leverage vehicles to stoke liquidity that led to worldwide underpricing of risk. They paid themselves record bonuses in the years immediately preceding the crisis, and then in a grotesque display of ingra ude, did so again in 2009, able to do so only thanks to massive taxpayer support, alphabet-soup special borrowing programs, and the tax on savers known as ZIRP. And the direct result of their looting exercise that produced the crisis was the explosion in government deficits, due to a collapse in tax revenues and a rise in payments under countercyclical programs such as unemployment insurance and food stamps.

But are the real perps the object of Obama’s disciplinary impulses? No. He seems spectacularly unwilling to take on anyone even remotely approaching his size (as if a President should be cowed by senior banker bullies like Jamie Dimon). The President’s failure to reprimand the financial CEOs who dissed him by refusing to attend his address on the first year anniversary of Lehman was a tacit acknowledgement that they were really in the driver’s seat.
    --- more --->>

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Republicans such as yourself are now big SS boosters.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Cat Food? Pffffttttt…You know nothing about being poe….
    People can live just fine on Purina Dog Chow and Oats made for horses….

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "We now have the absurd spectacle of Paul Ryan’s budget being to the left of Obama’s on the issue of Social Security and Medicare."

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We now have the absurd spectacle of Paul Ryan’s budget being to the left of Obama’s on the issue of Social Security and Medicare."

lol

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    LOL...

People have it too good...

Typical elitist, wanting more goods from the peasants.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Even good politicians spin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was a good politician, but as a useful idiot, he got the VRWC ball rolling faster and more destructively. Nearly all the deep we are in now started with diseased St Ronnie from 1981.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-05-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama cutting these items is surprising, since Bishop Gecko/Ryan's promise to do the same helped defeat them.

good ol' Bernie, give 'em

Sanders: I’ll fight Obama’s Social Security cuts

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...icket&.cf6=%2F

My Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Post Count
    ^^^ Were yous really that surprised? Come on now

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    he was a good politician, but as a useful idiot, he got the VRWC ball rolling faster and more destructively. Nearly all the deep we are in now started with diseased St Ronnie from 1981.
    His words were true, until he said "trust fund," and the money not being spent by congress.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    obama might be an asshole but i gotta side with him on this one tbh. dude just wanna stick to the golden rule that you don't get paid if you don't work. it pisses me off whenever i see a 70yr old TOSB garners bigger annual income than a 30-40 yr old hard working man who works 50-60 hours a week. the government has already bankrupted themselves to feed those TOSBs and i just don't see how they're gonna sustain the system for long. the pension system is corrupt and fragile, and if you're a 50yr old and hoping to live on pension after 60 or 65 birthday, you're making a fool of yourself tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    obama might be an asshole

you definitely ARE an asshole and full of .

the avg ss payment is less than $1300/month, while minimum wagers, a full 2000 hours, make $14500.

If somebody is living well on SS at age 70, it's because they had a good salary and paid in a lot.

My Team
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Post Count
    What's funny is people think Hillary will do good too and they will also get letdown with her as well lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the avg ss payment is less than $1300/month, while minimum wagers, a full 2000 hours, make $14500.

If somebody is living well on SS at age 70, it's because they had a good salary and paid in a lot.
    If you get to 67 without any savings or net worth you have really ed up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is you liberals will realize in about 20 year just how stupid you were when you were younger.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then the majority of retirees are ed up, iyo.

And that's before the credit/housing bubble popped.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back when the baby boomers were all in the workforce and not retiring, it wasn't spin

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count

you must be fooling yourself if you believe the government will still be able to afford this when the baby boomers reach pension age. i'd rather save the money for stocks and live on dividend incomes if im 50 something yr old and about to retire in 10 or 15 years, rather than donate my hard earned $ to some governmental dog tbh.

and 1,000 dollars at present day ain't gonna be worth nearly as much 10 or 20 years from now imho. bankers & government just steal your money legally. you have no other choice but to buy whatever they sell you, but you must be stupid if you think you're ever gonna benefit from it tbh

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    then the majority of retirees are ed up, iyo.

And that's before the credit/housing bubble popped.
    This is the generation X and Y not saving.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the generation X and Y not saving.
    this is America's wealth being extracted by health insurance/care, financial fees, 2-year exorbitant contracts for ty cell phone service, exorbitant rates for ty, slow Internet access and garbage TV channels bundled with good channels, union-busting destroying good jobs + benefits, ty jobs with ty pay and no benefits, etc. millions of households are paycheck to paycheck.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    this is America's wealth being extracted by health insurance/care, financial fees, 2-year exorbitant contracts for ty cell phone service, exorbitant rates for ty, slow Internet access and garbage TV channels bundled with good channels, union-busting destroying good jobs + benefits, ty jobs with ty pay and no benefits, etc. millions of households are paycheck to paycheck.
    No, it's people like you driving that everyone is en led.

It's people like you who do not espouse personal responsibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that's a 'choice' for everyone...

If everyone that wanted to do well would, we probably wouldn't need social security to begin with.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that's a 'choice' for everyone...

If everyone that wanted to do well would, we probably wouldn't need social security to begin with.
    ALthough a noble notion, there are always ways to cut back. If saving was important that is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALthough a noble notion, there are always ways to cut back. If saving was important that is.
    Sure, but what kind of savings are we talking about? You get the impression that if you didn't ac ulate at least $300,000-$400,000 you're screwed (and I'm going to the lower end here with those numbers).

I don't know that everybody has an extra $500 every month to put on the piggy bank for 50 years... it used to be you could build some of that with real-estate, but with the current credit bust and housing slump, that's a lot of money that vanished.

There's also different situations... lots of people start businesses, and they eventually go bad and need to start again at 30, 40 years old. Students already come out of college with ridiculous debts.

Add up we're not the mega growing GDP country that it was in the 80's or 90's, and that costs for the elderly, especially on health, have skyrocketed.

Thread Information