Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think economics had anything to do with Roe vs Wade's decision. It's all about the mother's safety. The fact that health-wise it's less risky to abort in the first trimester than actually give birth was a major driver on the decision. The father economic concerns don't enter that picture.
    I thought roe v wade was a privacy thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On this topic, yes. I have no desire to find the real number, but with modern medicine like it is...
    So you prefer innuendo over facts. Thanks for making that clear.

Carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insofar as babies who are born are people... and killing people is a crime... it seems like this is an altogether unnecessary piece of legislation designed to rile folks up over nothing. Looks like it worked.
    If one assumes the video in the OP is accurate. As I noted before, I view that as highly unlikely.

Good job on the beer legislation, btw.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So you prefer innuendo over facts. Thanks for making that clear.

Carry on.
    Call it what you want, but i don't think 1% is unreasonable. Do you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call it what you want, but i don't think 1% is unreasonable. Do you?
    I do not have enough data or expertise on the matter to decide what is reasonable and what is not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Summary: This report reviews available statistics regarding reasons given for obtaining abortions in the United States, including surveys by the Alan Guttmacher Ins ute and data from seven state health/statistics agencies that report relevant statistics (Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Utah). The official data imply that AGI claims regarding "hard case" abortions are inflated by roughly a factor of three. Actual percentage of U.S. abortions in "hard cases" are estimated as follows: in cases of rape, 0.3%; in cases of incest, 0.03%; in cases of risk to maternal life, 0.1%; in cases of risk to maternal health, 1%; and in cases of fetal health issues, 0.5%. About 98% of abortions in the United States are elective, including socio-economic reasons or for birth control. This includes perhaps 30% for primarily economic reasons.
    2%

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...abreasons.html

Close enough. Took me less than a minute.

See how easy that is?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    in cases of risk to maternal life, 0.1%; in cases of risk to maternal health, 1%
    1.1% is closer to what I was referring to, by your link.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you also advocate a mother leaving a 1 year old child in a dumpster to die if she decides she doesn't want the child?
    Fwiw, many cities/states have 'baby Moses'

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ed-4356289.php

Of course, putting a one year old in a dumpster is instant felony, many years in jail.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    1.1% is closer to what I was referring to, by your link.
    Interesting that you've eliminated rape and incest from your definition of "health concerns."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What health issues does the man faces during the woman's pregnancy, doctors?
    Are you saying abortion should only be when a woman's health is in question?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought roe v wade was a privacy thing
    the Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health.

bolded for emphasis

Are you saying abortion should only be when a woman's health is in question?
    Following its earlier logic, the Court stated that during the first trimester, when the procedure is more safe than childbirth, the decision to abort must be left to the mother and her physician. The State has the right to intervene prior to fetal viability only to protect the health of the mother, and may regulate the procedure after viability so long as there is always an exception for preserving maternal health.

The ruling in Roe vs Wade wasn't capricious or arbitrary. The Court recognized two competing interests, and attempted to craft a careful balance. That balanced decision itself didn't necessarily come out of thin air. The specific cutoff of the first trimester comes from balancing the risks on the health of the mother aborting vs the health of the mother giving birth.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you are against abortion, you hate women and should be shunned by society.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Interesting that you've eliminated rape and incest from your definition of "health concerns."
    Yes, so?

Is there some reason I am unfamiliar with, that a fetus, that is the result of rape, is automatically harmful to a woman?

My claim was health, and I am on record as being OK with such thinks like "the morning after" pill.

I think most would agree that even though the earlier figure linked comes to 1.1%, that part of that health statistic is mental health. I was speaking of physical health, which if the case, would still drop this down to less than 1%. Keep in kind, there are plenty of people out there who want to adopt infants. Why not try to push that direction, especially in the name of morality.

Also, keep in mind, my 1% was an educated guess, and that my statement started with "I'll bet." I do not stand firm by it, but with the link RG provided, I think I can say I was right.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Yes, so?

Is there some reason I am unfamiliar with, that a fetus, that is the result of rape, is automatically harmful to a woman?

My claim was health, and I am on record as being OK with such thinks like "the morning after" pill.

I think most would agree that even though the earlier figure linked comes to 1.1%, that part of that health statistic is mental health. I was speaking of physical health, which if the case, would still drop this down to less than 1%. Keep in kind, there are plenty of people out there who want to adopt infants. Why not try to push that direction, especially in the name of morality.

Also, keep in mind, my 1% was an educated guess, and that my statement started with "I'll bet." I do not stand firm by it, but with the link RG provided, I think I can say I was right.
    You didn't say physical health, though. You said health. That you consider mental health to be wholly removed from your general definition of health is interesting. It's not bad, or even necessarily wrong, but it's telling.

Incidentally, I don't really give a whether or not your guess of 1% was accurate, so trying to prove otherwise isn't my goal.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You didn't say physical health, though. You said health. That you consider mental health to be wholly removed from your general definition of health is interesting. It's not bad, or even necessarily wrong, but it's telling.

Incidentally, I don't really give a whether or not your guess of 1% was accurate, so trying to prove otherwise isn't my goal.
    This is true, and I am clarifying.

You probably agree that many women have mental changes that are natural and occur with the hormone changes.

The 1% doesn't matter much, I'll even go with the 2%. My point was that there are very few that fit such a catagory.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're conflating two different things:

A) Why do women do it

vs

B) Why women get to decide at all (regardless of what the decision is or what's the motive)

This thread is discussing B. You're ing about A.
    This thread was about infanticide in which you are for might i add

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread was about infanticide in which you are for might i add
    There's no such thing as 'infanticide' within the first trimester... again we go back to Roe vs Wade:

The Court additionally added that the primary right being preserved in the Roe decision was that of the physician's right to practice medicine freely absent a compelling state interest – not women's rights in general. The Court explicitly rejected a fetal "right to life" argument.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    This is true, and I am clarifying.

You probably agree that many women have mental changes that are natural and occur with the hormone changes.

The 1% doesn't matter much, I'll even go with the 2%. My point was that there are very few that fit such a catagory.
    You seem to think I'm arguing with you, but I'm not. I don't agree with you, but I'm not arguing. I already know that arguing abortion with you is pointless. Whether or not your guess of only 1% of abortions being due to health issues was an accurate one is of little consequence to me, since I always have and always will advocate for a woman's right to choose regardless of the reasons for that choice.

For the third time, I merely expressed that it's interesting, and quite telling, that you took the time to specify that you did not consider rape and incest to be health issues. It says a lot about not only your personal views, but also about the views that seem to be so prevalent within this argument. Seldom do those who oppose abortion consider the potentially devastating effects having to carry a child of rape or incest to term could have on a woman's mental health. Nor is there much consideration for the numerous ways in which such mental health issues can manifest that are physically damaging to the mother and/or her child, be it in the short or long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no such thing as 'infanticide' within the first trimester... again we go back to Roe vs Wade:

The Court additionally added that the primary right being preserved in the Roe decision was that of the physician's right to practice medicine freely absent a compelling state interest – not women's rights in general. The Court explicitly rejected a fetal "right to life" argument.
    1. 24 wks is not the first trimester.
    2. if a baby comes out of the womb alive, then what? It's not a baby because it was decided to be aborted?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. 24 wks is not the first trimester.
    I must've missed where the law you posted stated it only applies to 24wks or later. (or specifically 12 weeks or later).. Already stated I don't have a problem with the State regulating after the 1st trimester if plainly stated in the law.

2. if a baby comes out of the womb alive, then what? It's not a baby because it was decided to be aborted?
    As stated, there's no scientific way to determine when a fetus stops being a fetus and becomes a baby. But it doesn't matter. Up to the first trimester, the decision on what to do with whatever it is, is between the mother and physician, and whatever it is, has no "right to life" during that time. I'm ok with that, and whatever legislation that wants to attribute powers to the State in that regard need to address the fact that they cannot get involved in the first trimester.

After the 1st trimester, the State can choose to do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    http://www.lifenews.com/2013/04/08/g...irth-abortion/

Baby Screamed During Live-Birth “Abortion”

by Steven Ertelt | Philadelphia, PA | LifeNews.com | 4/8/13 3:55 PM

Today’s testimony during the murder trial of abortion prac ioner Kermit Gosnell was no less shocking than previous days. Today, a former employee described how she heard a baby scream during a live-birth abortion.

Abortion clinic employee Sherry West described an incident which “really freaked (her) out” and related to the jury how she heard a child scream who was born alive following an abortion.

West remembered how she referred to the dead children killed in these gruesome abortion procedures as “specimens” so she could avoid the mental trauma associated with knowing how they died. As local media reported:

Sherry West, of Bear, said she was loyal to Gosnell – who is now facing multiple counts of murder for allegedly killing children after they were delivered alive at his clinic – but said the incident “really freaked me out.”

When Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore pressed the 53-year-old West for specifics about the incident, West struggled to answer, clearly uncomfortable with the memory.

“I can’t describe it. It sounded like a little alien,” West testified, telling a judge and Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas jury that the body of the child was about 18 to 24 inches long and was one of the largest babies she had seen delivered during abortion procedures at Gosnell’s clinic.

West said she saw the child, whose face and features were not yet completely formed, lying on a glass tray on a shelf and she told a co-worker to call Gosnell about it and fled the room.

During her two years working for Gosnell, West said she also saw patients deliver “specimens” in the toilet, which she made a co-worker remove, adding she called aborted fetuses “specimens” because “it was easier to deal with mentally.”

She also testified that she saw many women come in who looked like they were too far along in their pregnancies to have abortions.

West started working for Gosnell in late 2008, after being his patient for more than 20 years. West said she had previously worked at the Veterans Administration, doing preparation work in the operating room, but left in 2007 after suffering a nervous breakdown and being diagnosed with Hepa is C that she contracted in the hospital.

West said she was desperate for money in 2008 because she was fighting with the VA over disability benefits and Gosnell agreed to hire her and pay her under the table. She said Gosnell, as her primary care doctor, was well aware that she had a nervous breakdown, was on the anti-anxiety drug Prozac and had Hepa is C diagnosis.
    Gosnell, whose squalid “house of horrors” abortion clinic has surprised even investigative officials, has had almost flippant at ude toward his macabre abortion practices shocked the nation.

“The Gosnell case is a watershed moment for the issue of abortion,” said Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue and Pro-Life Nation. “The discovery of his horrific practices helped shed light on an abortion industry that has run amok without oversight or accountability for decades, and has prompted significant changes in abortion laws and at udes toward enforcement in several states.”

In all, Gosnell faces 43 criminal counts, including eight counts of murder in the death of one patient, Karnamaya Monger, and seven newborn infants. Additional charges include conspiracy, drug delivery resulting in death, infanticide, corruption of minors, evidence tampering, theft by deception, abuse of corpse, and corruption.

Gosnell could face the death penalty if convicted and he faces a mandatory minimum 20 years. A pool of 125 was narrowed down to 43 potential jurors this afternoon and the death penalty played a role.

The first day of jury selection began with a panel of about 125 people, but most were quickly excused for a variety of factors, including opposition to the death penalty in this potential capital case, personal hardship caused by serving in a trial expected to last 6 to 8 weeks, and having a fixed opinion on the case. At the end of the first day, three female jurors had been selected. The three jurors chosen Monday told Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Minehart they supported abortion.

Previously, Gosnell’s wife Pearl pleaded guilty to assisting her husband at his Philadelphia abortion center where he killed a woman in a botched abortion and has killed hundreds of babies in abortion-infanticides.

Pearl Gosnell was considering a plea deal similar to the one several of Gosnell’s former abortion center employees have made where they have pleaded guilty to receive a lesser sentence in exchange for testifying against Gosnell. Pearl also worked at the abortion center GGosnell Worker: Baby Screamed During Live-Birth “Abortion”
    by Steven Ertelt | Philadelphia, PA | LifeNews.com | 4/8/13 3:55 PM

Today’s testimony during the murder trial of abortion prac ioner Kermit Gosnell was no less shocking than previous days. Today, a former employee described how she heard a baby scream during a live-birth abortion.

Abortion clinic employee Sherry West described an incident which “really freaked (her) out” and related to the jury how she heard a child scream who was born alive following an abortion.

West remembered how she referred to the dead children killed in these gruesome abortion procedures as “specimens” so she could avoid the mental trauma associated with knowing how they died. As local media reported:

Sherry West, of Bear, said she was loyal to Gosnell – who is now facing multiple counts of murder for allegedly killing children after they were delivered alive at his clinic – but said the incident “really freaked me out.”

When Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore pressed the 53-year-old West for specifics about the incident, West struggled to answer, clearly uncomfortable with the memory.

“I can’t describe it. It sounded like a little alien,” West testified, telling a judge and Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas jury that the body of the child was about 18 to 24 inches long and was one of the largest babies she had seen delivered during abortion procedures at Gosnell’s clinic.

West said she saw the child, whose face and features were not yet completely formed, lying on a glass tray on a shelf and she told a co-worker to call Gosnell about it and fled the room.

During her two years working for Gosnell, West said she also saw patients deliver “specimens” in the toilet, which she made a co-worker remove, adding she called aborted fetuses “specimens” because “it was easier to deal with mentally.”

She also testified that she saw many women come in who looked like they were too far along in their pregnancies to have abortions.

West started working for Gosnell in late 2008, after being his patient for more than 20 years. West said she had previously worked at the Veterans Administration, doing preparation work in the operating room, but left in 2007 after suffering a nervous breakdown and being diagnosed with Hepa is C that she contracted in the hospital.

West said she was desperate for money in 2008 because she was fighting with the VA over disability benefits and Gosnell agreed to hire her and pay her under the table. She said Gosnell, as her primary care doctor, was well aware that she had a nervous breakdown, was on the anti-anxiety drug Prozac and had Hepa is C diagnosis, whose squalid “house of horrors” abortion clinic has surprised even investigative officials, has had almost flippant at ude toward his macabre abortion practices shocked the nation.

“The Gosnell case is a watershed moment for the issue of abortion,” said Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue and Pro-Life Nation. “The discovery of his horrific practices helped shed light on an abortion industry that has run amok without oversight or accountability for decades, and has prompted significant changes in abortion laws and at udes toward enforcement in several states.”

In all, Gosnell faces 43 criminal counts, including eight counts of murder in the death of one patient, Karnamaya Monger, and seven newborn infants. Additional charges include conspiracy, drug delivery resulting in death, infanticide, corruption of minors, evidence tampering, theft by deception, abuse of corpse, and corruption.

Gosnell could face the death penalty if convicted and he faces a mandatory minimum 20 years. A pool of 125 was narrowed down to 43 potential jurors this afternoon and the death penalty played a role.

The first day of jury selection began with a panel of about 125 people, but most were quickly excused for a variety of factors, including opposition to the death penalty in this potential capital case, personal hardship caused by serving in a trial expected to last 6 to 8 weeks, and having a fixed opinion on the case. At the end of the first day, three female jurors had been selected. The three jurors chosen Monday told Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Minehart they supported abortion.

Previously, Gosnell’s wife Pearl pleaded guilty to assisting her husband at his Philadelphia abortion center where he killed a woman in a botched abortion and has killed hundreds of babies in abortion-infanticides.

Pearl Gosnell was considering a plea deal similar to the one several of Gosnell’s former abortion center employees have made where they have pleaded guilty to receive a lesser sentence in exchange for testifying against Gosnell. Pearl also worked at the abortion center Gosnell ran that had him kill and injure women in failed abortions and kill perhaps hundreds of babies in grisly infanticides by birthing them and “snipping” their spinal cords.

She worked at the Women’s Medical Society abortion business her husband ran as a full-time medical assistant from 1982 until she married Kermit Gosnell in 1990, when she switched to only working on Sundays. At that time, the abortion business was officially closed but would do its latest-term abortions possible.

The grand jury report indicates Pearl Gosnell testified that she alone helped Kermit do abortions on Sundays when she would “help do the instruments” in the operating room despite no medical training.

Previously, Judge Lerner ruled two other former employees, Eileen O’Neill and Madeline Joe, are not allowed to have their cases separated from that of Dr. Kermit Gosnell. Neither O’Neill nor Joe are charged with killing babies in infanticides and, although their attorneys argued the horrifying allegations against Gosnell could unfairly taint their cases, they were not allowed to plead guilty in deals as was the case with six other former employees.

The murder charges also came in connection with the botched abortion death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar, who died at Gosnell’s abortion clinic after a failed abortion. Mongar died November 20, 2009, after overdosing on anesthetics prescribed by the doctor. Mongar’s family filed a lawsuit against Gosnell’s abortion business seeking damages.

Gosnell and several staffers at his abortion center, including Pearl, were arrested in January after a grand jury indicted them on multiple charges after officials raided his abortion business following a woman’s death and discovered a “shop of horrors” filled with bags of bodies and body parts of deceased unborn children and babies killed in infanticides. Pearl Gosnell, Kermit’s 49-year-old wife who has no medical license, faces a charge of providing an abortion at 24 or more weeks and conspiracy and other charges.

Gosnell has been denied bail while the case against him moves forward. Women have spoken out about their treatment and one woman says she was drugged and tied up and forced to have an abortion.

Authorities searching the facility last year found bags and bottles holding aborted babies scattered around the building, jars containing babies’ severed feet lining a shelf, as well as filthy, unsanitary furniture and equipment.

The grand jury investigation also shows state officials did nothing when reports came in about problems at Gosnell’s abortion center, which has upset incoming pro-life Governor Tom Corbett.

Gosnell’s abortion center was inspected only after a federal drug raid in 2010. It was the first time the facility had been inspected in 17 years because state officials ignored complaints and failed to visit Gosnell’s Women’s Medical Society for years.

The abortion industry has been forced to suspend two abortion businesses that employed embattled abortion prac ioner Kermit Gosnell, who has been the subject of national controversy over his abortion business in Philadelphia.

Following revelations that Gosnell is associated with two other abortion centers in Louisiana and Delaware, the National Abortion Federation made the decision to suspend the memberships of both. Atlantic Women’s Medical Services, the Delaware abortion business that employed Gosnell one day a week to do abortions, and the Delta Clinic abortion center of Baton Rouge, have both had their memberships suspended. Leroy Brinkley owns both abortion businesses. Atlantic operates abortion centers in Wilmington and Dover.

Gosnell ran that had him kill and injure women in failed abortions and kill perhaps hundreds of babies in grisly infanticides by birthing them and “snipping” their spinal cords.

She worked at the Women’s Medical Society abortion business her husband ran as a full-time medical assistant from 1982 until she married Kermit Gosnell in 1990, when she switched to only working on Sundays. At that time, the abortion business was officially closed but would do its latest-term abortions possible.

The grand jury report indicates Pearl Gosnell testified that she alone helped Kermit do abortions on Sundays when she would “help do the instruments” in the operating room despite no medical training.
    Last edited by mouse; 04-13-2013 at 01:20 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Previously, Judge Lerner ruled two other former employees, Eileen O’Neill and Madeline Joe, are not allowed to have their cases separated from that of Dr. Kermit Gosnell. Neither O’Neill nor Joe are charged with killing babies in infanticides and, although their attorneys argued the horrifying allegations against Gosnell could unfairly taint their cases, they were not allowed to plead guilty in deals as was the case with six other former employees.

The murder charges also came in connection with the botched abortion death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar, who died at Gosnell’s abortion clinic after a failed abortion. Mongar died November 20, 2009, after overdosing on anesthetics prescribed by the doctor. Mongar’s family filed a lawsuit against Gosnell’s abortion business seeking damages.

Gosnell and several staffers at his abortion center, including Pearl, were arrested in January after a grand jury indicted them on multiple charges after officials raided his abortion business following a woman’s death and discovered a “shop of horrors” filled with bags of bodies and body parts of deceased unborn children and babies killed in infanticides. Pearl Gosnell, Kermit’s 49-year-old wife who has no medical license, faces a charge of providing an abortion at 24 or more weeks and conspiracy and other charges.

Gosnell has been denied bail while the case against him moves forward. Women have spoken out about their treatment and one woman says she was drugged and tied up and forced to have an abortion.

Authorities searching the facility last year found bags and bottles holding aborted babies scattered around the building, jars containing babies’ severed feet lining a shelf, as well as filthy, unsanitary furniture and equipment.

The grand jury investigation also shows state officials did nothing when reports came in about problems at Gosnell’s abortion center, which has upset incoming pro-life Governor Tom Corbett.

Gosnell’s abortion center was inspected only after a federal drug raid in 2010. It was the first time the facility had been inspected in 17 years because state officials ignored complaints and failed to visit Gosnell’s Women’s Medical Society for years.

The abortion industry has been forced to suspend two abortion businesses that employed embattled abortion prac ioner Kermit Gosnell, who has been the subject of national controversy over his abortion business in Philadelphia.

Following revelations that Gosnell is associated with two other abortion centers in Louisiana and Delaware, the National Abortion Federation made the decision to suspend the memberships of both. Atlantic Women’s Medical Services, the Delaware abortion business that employed Gosnell one day a week to do abortions, and the Delta Clinic abortion center of Baton Rouge, have both had their memberships suspended. Leroy Brinkley owns both abortion businesses. Atlantic operates abortion centers in Wilmington and Dover.

Gosnell ran that had him kill and injure women in failed abortions and kill perhaps hundreds of babies in grisly infanticides by birthing them and “snipping” their spinal cords.

Last edited by mouse; 04-13-2013 at 01:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because we can trust "lifenews.com" to give us the truth on anything having to do with abortion.

Sorry. Not going to buy it until you can find a slightly more credible source.

As noted before abortion opponents lie through their teeth, and are highly motivated to keep doing so by their own ideology.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to say that some unlicensed shop of horrors doesn't exist. If true it would be very gruesome, and closer regulation of such places should be done.

It also, however, points to what would happen should such things be made illegal, and all providers then have to operate outside the law.

Make it too difficult, and the demand will drive some supply of providers, whether you like it or not. Illegal does not mean non-existant.

Thread Information