Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems all but certain that Bertans will be coming over next season to fill the Matt Bonner role. Can the same be said about LVC?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems all but certain that Bertans will be coming over next season to fill the Matt Bonner role. Can the same be said about LVC?
    Not sure about that one... He wanted to come over very badly last year and they chose to keep Daye instead...

Livio is a lock to come over on the other hand imo, if they wait another year he won't be subject to the rookie scale and he could always force the issue as a first rounder...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about that one... He wanted to come over very badly last year and they chose to keep Daye instead...

Livio is a lock to come over on the other hand imo, if they wait another year he won't be subject to the rookie scale and he could always force the issue as a first rounder...
    The only thing he can force is an 80% rookie scale offer sheet. I'm kind of doubting that he'd take that. so he would remain overseas and our asset. He doesn't have the leverage that Tiago did. He hasn't really shown much yet. His numbers after 12 games, 7 FL and 5 EC, are pretty awful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft and stash sucks so bad. The players get hurt, make little or no progress, and/or (and this is best case scenario) blossom into a player worth more than rookie contract stipulation or team buyout budget.

You just don't draft players you can't or won't play, immediately. You draft players to replace Bonners, Ayers, Dayes. If you are so cheap or so statistically savy that your worst are soo entrenched, splash your face with ice cold water! Keep. It. Simple. Stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tayshawn Prince and Reggie Miller played in yesterday's nba and people still say anybody is too skinny. Antetokounpo was a kid, ballin with street Greeks, yesterday. and people say anybody is too raw. Ljc couldn't have a roster spot because the spurs just had a gold mine in Ayers. Sometimes i wonder how many championships the spurs would have won, if they'd untied that arm they keep behind their back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just floors me that people like you, DrunkTXLabrat, still bag on the front office. Nobody picks all winners, but the Spurs have a better hit rate than teams that are in the lottery YEAR AFTER YEAR, and we've been drafting 28-30 most years.

I'll answer your question with one of my own: How many, if any, championships would we have won with a different front office crew, constrained by our market and budget?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL when winning the championship in dominating fashion isn't enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any gm that would be smart enough to draft and cash might not be smart enough to keep the big three together. So I can't give you a clear projection.

I'll tell ya this. When the spurs cut the rj cord, brought in splitter, and realized that parker and hill was a logjam. Yeah, that was championship caliber gm work. Robinson replacement, Bowen replacement, Parker confidence took at least 1 missed championship too long.

Bonner, Ayers, Daye aren't going to win or lose you anything. It's the absence of apprentices or players that actually have potential and create depth that I'll look back on, if pop and the big 4 can't just carry the dead weight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't misunderstand me. I'm talking about the absence that those three specific players cause. By holding a roster spot. Not saying the rest of the team is insufficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC seems to small to be successful without a good jumper

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why don't the Spurs shake the banana tree until a big running, jumping monkey falls out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bring on the monkey(s) daddy wants some fruit and daddy is the more evolved species.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really disappointing that Spurs just barely missed Gobert in the 2013 draft...kid looks like a beast. Instead they had to settle for the kid with the exploding knees. Mahinmi, DeColo, and Charles - seems like Spurs always draft the French busts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really disappointing that Spurs just barely missed Gobert in the 2013 draft...kid looks like a beast. Instead they had to settle for the kid with the exploding knees. Mahinmi, DeColo, and Charles - seems like Spurs always draft the French busts
    Ya, Parker was pretty bad...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya, Parker was pretty bad...
    Honestly, I'd much rather have Gobert over Parker - a defensive big will always be a valuable asset. TP gives you cancerous impact at a bloated price($45 mil for the next three years). I have nothing against French players but a lot of them are chokers/disappointments. Diaw's the lone exception it seems(actually shows up for playoff basketball). Gobert seems like he'll be good too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP was a stud when he was in his prime. But I don't see this kid coming over heck we only at three pages we had more pages on players who where called up for a seven day contract ..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Gobert had been available, I don't think the Spurs would've drafted him, given that they gave LJC a promise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just draft Jaiteh. One of the coolest pronunciations in the draft, and he might be around in the second round. There was a time where he was considered to be a better prospect than Gobert.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aww Chinook I think you pulling our chain..lol....Jaiteh better then Gobert..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think the chances are that Livio signs with the Spurs next season?

I would think that with Bertans' injury, the odds increase a bit. Though they aren't the same type of player, the Spurs probably didn't want more than one project on the roster. Especially since they'll have to think about integrating Kyle into the rotation next year as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Bertans factors into the decision to sign LJC.

My perspective...the Spurs FO is a loyal one, and they will offer to bring LJC over before his first round guaranteed contract agreement expires. But I also think they'll tell him that he's likely to spend a significant amount of time in Austin learning the system and continuing his comeback from the ACL injury. If he prefers to stay overseas until there's opportunity on the roster and learn from the bench in a couple years, then he might choose to decline. But giving up $2M guaranteed doesn't seem likely. Ultimately I think he ends up here next year but spends most of his time in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this summer the last time he can get his guaranteed contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this summer the last time he can get his guaranteed contract?
    Read somewhere that it was, but I just checked and that's wrong. He has three full years before the guarantee is up, so it would be next Summer as his last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read somewhere that it was, but I just checked and that's wrong. He has three full years before the guarantee is up, so it would be next Summer as his last.
    Nah. It's this summer. He was drafted in 2013. 2013, 2014, 2015. 2016 has no protection. Same thing happened with Splitter (2007, 2008 and 2009), but he was waiting on purpose.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So unless this guys decides to bet on himself by declining the 2m guarantee, it sounds like we should see him stateside next year.

Thread Information