Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of cap next year, if LJC comes over would he need to be signed using part of the MLE or is there a cap exception for 1st picks under the current rookie scale? Would the same apply for Bertans as a 2nd round pick?

Seems that if the Spurs had to use part of the MLE to sign one or both of these guys this summer, that it'll also be hard to keep Boban, no? If that's the case why not sell high on him now?
    Are you kidding his trade value couldn't be lower. A first round pick, who's unsigned, underdevelopped and who can somewhat force his way into the roster. The Spurs would have to give up an asset to get rid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of cap next year, if LJC comes over would he need to be signed using part of the MLE or is there a cap exception for 1st picks under the current rookie scale? Would the same apply for Bertans as a 2nd round pick?

Seems that if the Spurs had to use part of the MLE to sign one or both of these guys this summer, that it'll also be hard to keep Boban, no? If that's the case why not sell high on him now?
    LJC is not bound to the rookie scale anymore because three seasons passed since he was drafted in 2013. There is no restriction/rookie scale when it comes to second rounders. You can give them anything from the minimum to the max.

So both will have to be signed using cap space or an exception. Depending on how things go in the offseason the Bi-Annual exception might also be available because it was not used last year. At this point LJC probably will probably have to settle for a close to min deal while Bertans should command more than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's actually getting a decent amount of minutes this year (about 22 per game) and his stats look a lot better than last season: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/.../Summary/26494

I haven't actually seen him play this year but the high FG%, lack of three pointers and uptick in rebounding make me think they he's being played as a PF now. That's probably his best position anyway considering his shot blocking prowess and weak ball handling.

You can actually watch full length Eurocup games on Youtube (but who does that really..):

https://www.youtube.com/user/FIBAWor...ch?query=asvel
    Thanks for the link man. I'll watch it once I get some free time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you kidding his trade value couldn't be lower. A first round pick, who's unsigned, underdevelopped and who can somewhat force his way into the roster. The Spurs would have to give up an asset to get rid.
    This doesn't describe Boban at all. Look at the preceding sentence.

Reading is fundamental

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC is not bound to the rookie scale anymore because three seasons passed since he was drafted in 2013. There is no restriction/rookie scale when it comes to second rounders. You can give them anything from the minimum to the max.

So both will have to be signed using cap space or an exception. Depending on how things go in the offseason the Bi-Annual exception might also be available because it was not used last year. At this point LJC probably will probably have to settle for a close to min deal while Bertans should command more than that.
    They have to at least match his 1st round payscale to sign LJC. Bertans, I think, will stay another year in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't describe Boban at all. Look at the preceding sentence.

Reading is fundamental
    Meh hadn't had my coffee yet lol

If they don't plan to keep Boban and can get a future first/early second for him it'd be a great deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to at least match his 1st round payscale to sign LJC. Bertans, I think, will stay another year in Europe.
    My bad, you are right. I just found the paragraph in the CBA FAQ:

When a team signs a first round draft pick within three years after he is drafted, they use the salary scale for the year in which he signs (usually the player signs in the same year he is drafted). After three years they have the option of either using the salary scale or signing him as if he was a free agent -- using their cap room or any available exception, with the standard raises. They can only do the latter if the player did not play intercollegiately in the interim. Such a contract must be for at least three seasons, and the salary in the first season must be greater than 120% of the applicable rookie scale amount.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC can still be signed with the rookie-scale exception. The team just gained the additional ability to pay him more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC can still be signed with the rookie-scale exception. The team just gained the additional ability to pay him more.
    Same for Bertans as a second?

If not could he fit into the biannual exception potentially (forget if Manu was shoehorned into that last summer)?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If not could he fit into the biannual exception potentially (forget if Manu was shoehorned into that last summer)?
    There aren't any rookie scale exceptions for second rounders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bertans can always be signed with a minimum deal. But anything more requires cap space or an exception. There's no reason to think LLE (alternative acronym for the bi-annual exception) for him, as his stock isn't all that high after two major injuries. The min would be enough to get him on a two-year deal, and maybe it would let him get a three-year deal if they guarantee the first two years or something like that. Finally, Manu was signed with the room exception last year, not the LLE. The difference between the two is that the room exception is what teams have when they use cap space, while the LLE is a cap exception like the MLE. So just like the MLE, the Spurs didn't have the LLE last year. Other main difference is that the room exception is like twice as large as the LLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have doubts that he's even as good as rasual butler at this point when it comes to playing the 4

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans can always be signed with a minimum deal. But anything more requires cap space or an exception. There's no reason to think LLE (alternative acronym for the bi-annual exception) for him, as his stock isn't all that high after two major injuries. The min would be enough to get him on a two-year deal, and maybe it would let him get a three-year deal if they guarantee the first two years or something like that. Finally, Manu was signed with the room exception last year, not the LLE. The difference between the two is that the room exception is what teams have when they use cap space, while the LLE is a cap exception like the MLE. So just like the MLE, the Spurs didn't have the LLE last year. Other main difference is that the room exception is like twice as large as the LLE.
    Very helpful breakdown

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have doubts that he's even as good as rasual butler at this point when it comes to playing the 4
    Butler is like 36. I hope he's not in the Spurs long term plans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the fact that he would be a college senior currently right now, and imo already a great rim protector/shot blocker I'm pretty excited about this kid when he hopefully comes over next season. I believe he will best used as a power forward in the NBA, he looked like he got a bit more built in the summer league, and will hopefully keep getting stronger. Hopefully he spends majority of next season in Austin and is ready to contribute in the 2017-2018 season. Can't remember any of the other summer league games, or his reaction around here except the Philly game but he wasn't intimidated by Okafor one bit and blocked two impressive layups by him from that video. If he turns into a better IQ Biyombo/poor man's Ibaka as mentioned I'll be happy with this pick.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a game coming up at 1pm central on YouTube vs the Antwerp Giants. I'll try to post it.
    Last edited by raybies; 02-23-2016 at 12:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Livios team is out of the playoffs with this loss. With that being said, he played pretty well. He hit two threes in two shots and hit a mid range j out of two. 12pts 6rbs 1blk. I'm starting to have a change of heart with this guy since I'm seeing him with new eyes. Seeing him in a role. If he can continue to hit threes and the mid range j he has a shot to be a Serge Ibaka type player. And by that I mean in that mold. Lite or poor man's might work. In Europe, he's a lock down defender that can guard on the perimeter and the post. He switched players on multiple occasions and very rarely was he scored on. I didn't see one time he was scored on. Although I did miss bid and pieces of the game. Again the key to him being starter material is his j. He was on tonight and the last time I saw him he made them too so, there's that. He's a very versatile player. He even showed some post game against a smaller player, backing him down and flipping in a hook shot for a score. Might have a chance as a starter or as a back up 4or small ball 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Livios team is out of the playoffs with this loss. With that being said, he played pretty well. He hit two threes in two shots and hit a mid range j out of two. 12pts 6rbs 1blk. I'm starting to have a change of heart with this guy since I'm seeing him with new eyes. Seeing him in a role. If he can continue to hit threes and the mid range j he has a shot to be a Serge Ibaka type player. And by that I mean in that mold. Lite or poor man's might work. In Europe, he's a lock down defender that can guard on the perimeter and the post. He switched players on multiple occasions and very rarely was he scored on. I didn't see one time he was scored on. Although I did miss bid and pieces of the game. Again the key to him being starter material is his j. He was on tonight and the last time I saw him he made them too so, there's that. He's a very versatile player. He even showed some post game against a smaller player, backing him down and flipping in a hook shot for a score. Might have a chance as a starter or as a back up 4or small ball 5.
    Nice!!!
    !Thanks for doing this review. He was very off in SL and then got injured, so he didn't even play the entire series of games. Him hitting jumpers is huge bc he was already very defensive minded. It would put him ahead of Cady who is a slower, less athletic player. Kind of excited to see him again. Hopefully the compe ion from all the noise Bertans camp is making has also made him ramp up his training. He might make the team fir sure with improvement.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the insight.

A new perspective indeed. I think the jump shooting gives more creadance to the poor mans Serge idea (at least for me). No clue that he was working on the 3 ball. Based on prior summer league performances we already know his D will translate to the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the insight.

A new perspective indeed. I think the jump shooting gives more creadance to the poor mans Serge idea (at least for me). No clue that he was working on the 3 ball. Based on prior summer league performances we already know his D will translate to the NBA.
    He's now 22 years old and hasn't made much progress in France. Spurs need to bring him in under a better program.

He's an unbelievable defensive talent that can get up really quickly, not only on the first jump but on second jumps. He should be signed next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting recent interview. The Google translate kinda sucks but you can still get the gist:

http://www.basketusa.com/news/344064...w-par-exemple/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting recent interview. The Google translate kinda sucks but you can still get the gist:

http://www.basketusa.com/news/344064...w-par-exemple/
    Do you wanna try out your Nono skils Brazil ?

Thread Information