Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For whatever it's worth, Curry set the building record for points in a game last night.

There have been 8 games in the SBC/AT&T Center in which individual players for the Spurs or their opponents have scored 40 or more:

44 -- Stephen Curry (5/6/13)*
    43 -- Manu Ginobili (4/2/10) v. ORL
    42 -- Monta Ellis (11/25/09)
    42 -- Tony Parker (2/4/12) v. OKC
    41 -- Tim Duncan (5/22/06) v. DAL*
    41 -- Amare Stoudemire (2/28/10)
    40 -- Tim Duncan (5/19/03) v. DAL*
    40 -- Tim Duncan (4/19/08) v. PNX*

* - Playoff game
    That strikes me as really low for an all-time high in a 10-year-old building. Kobe and Iverson have probably scored 50+ in each of many different arenas.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting tidbit from ESPN

Just shows that even though Corey has some potential, putting him on a star isn't going to work...
    Just shows that judging anything by stats without watching it is kind of stupid. Curry hit crazy layups and 30 foot jumpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that some of the jubliation and cobwebs have worn off, one thought about this game comes to my mind. As improbable and as sweet as this win was, it will be all for naught if the Spurs do not win this series.

Seeing how the younger and more athletic Warriors really took it to the Spurs on both ends of the court, in such easy fashion, is cause for some concern. Yet I fully expect the Spurs to wake up after Monday night's fiasco and play much better. The Spurs will definitely need to step up their game considerably to hold off these young pups. Now that they've been given such an immense break, they MUST use this momentum for power through the rest of the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noteworthy because nobody is even talking about it: Manu walked out and played 36 minutes. Totally worth putting the Lakers away and getting the extra days of rest.

Adjustments will determine the rest of the series. If Pop goes smallball and more Bonner, the Spurs are in for a long series and will probably wear down before the finals. If Pop starts Splitter as soon as he's healthy and tells them to focus on rebounding and defense, this series will go quickly.

The Spurs lost to Golden State in the regular season because Jack had 30 points, not because Curry lit them up. You start leaving guys open and they'll make a lot of jumpers.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noteworthy because nobody is even talking about it: Manu walked out and played 36 minutes. Totally worth putting the Lakers away and getting the extra days of rest.

Adjustments will determine the rest of the series. If Pop goes smallball and more Bonner, the Spurs are in for a long series and will probably wear down before the finals. If Pop starts Splitter as soon as he's healthy and tells them to focus on rebounding and defense, this series will go quickly.

The Spurs lost to Golden State in the regular season because Jack had 30 points, not because Curry lit them up. You start leaving guys open and they'll make a lot of jumpers.
    He looked completely exhausted in the post game presser. Its encouraging to see him play so many minutes, all we can do is hope he's got 11-20 games of that left in his tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check the video of the postgame coverage by TNT, with Kenny Smith and Barkley, they analyze the play very well. Basically the coach told his players to all switch on picks. Except one guy didn't get picked an the whole switching scheme broke down, with a double team on Parker and nobody covering Manu. After that it's a classic 2v1 offense: either Manu shoots wide open, or if the defender closes fast then Manu can pass to Diaw for an uncontested layup. As soon as the defensive rotation breaks down this means a (relatively) easy basket.

Actually if you listen to "Inside Trax" you will notice many coaches turn into motivators toward the end of games. In some cases it's because that's all the coach knows how to do, in other cases it's because that's what's needed. I don't know for certain that Jackson can't draw up a play late. I know I was surprised when every "Inside Trax" in the previous round had d'Antoni spouting clichés each and every time.

Remember that Pop is THE best coach by a mile on drawing plays coming out of a timeout, he's really the king of that and Spurs fans are a bit spoiled in this respect.
    I did a little research last night and found that Mike Malone, one of the assistant coaches, is the one who draws up the plays. Since Mark Jackson is new to coaching, he doesn't know the x's and o's of coaching yet, apparently. So he just sticks to motivating his players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looked completely exhausted in the post game presser. Its encouraging to see him play so many minutes, all we can do is hope he's got 11-20 games of that left in his tank.
    True dat. Let's also hope that Manu is a bit more judicious in his decision-making and shot selections. Though he saved the day at the end, his turnovers have been killing the Spurs possessions. That is something you cannot do against this fast-breaking bunch from San Francisco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told you (), there was a reason why I got so excited that we pulled GS and not Denver. Even the regular season games against them are heart-thumpers, and I'm completely glued to my seat the entire time. I've never seen The Spurs play a Playoff series against these guys, though, obviously. Curry is truly a babyfaced deadly assassin. Love him, love him, love him... wish we could steal him for ourselves, seriously. Now... here's to hoping we don't this all up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. A guy with two bad hamstrings who was being limited to 4 minutes a quarter in the first round who hit the game winner in double overtime. That's a good sign.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this game SHOULD give the young Warriors bad dreams and a serious funk and doubting, "what does it take to beat the Spurs?", but maybe they're too young and naive.

We'll find out Wed if the Spurs can get started better and if the Warriors balls have disappeared.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Danny hit some HUGE shots without hesitation and KL three at the end of the 4 th was huge....Manu is looking good physically another nice dunk in a half court set. The most impressive thinjg about Manu 3 was he was 36 minutes and still had the legs fo that shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did a little research last night and found that Mike Malone, one of the assistant coaches, is the one who draws up the plays. Since Mark Jackson is new to coaching, he doesn't know the x's and o's of coaching yet, apparently. So he just sticks to motivating his players.
    He was an NBA point guard, and a smart one -- the Xs and Os are nothing he can't handle. But some coaches delegate stuff like that, just as lots of (most?) NFL head coaches don't call the plays themselves.

But yeah, team representatives are watching the broadcasts in real time. There's no way that teams would let a network broadcast them drawing up plays, because their opponent could potentially use that to defend it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One note on Gary Neal. He was a part of that miraculous four minutes at the end of regulation. He made two plays specifically that don't end up in the box score, but saved us.

1) He drew a charge against Curry - ending a possession
    2) On Richard Jefferson's breakaway, he got back in time to foul him and prevent the easy layup. And then missed both FT's. Way to go Jefferson!

If Gary doesn't make either of those plays, we probably don't win. Just thought I'd give him a shout out when it's due.
    Good call. Neal gets a bad rap for his defense, and it's completely deserved. But both those plays were absolutely pivotal. The charge on Curry was big enough, but chasing down RJ absolutely changed the outcome of the game.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The slow rotations by Duncan are easily explained.

at a loss at how you guard this team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't 11 seconds on the game clock it was 11 seconds on the shot clock. There was still about 40 seconds or more in the game but still a terrible shot to take
    That's what I said, "11 secs on the shot clock."

40 secs go down to about 30, also hoping it would take them over 6 secs to set up their offense and by the time they get a shot out, make or miss, hopefully it's less than 24 secs of game time left. As long as it isn't a 3 they make, just hold on to the ball and make it a free throw game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went back and watched the first half again, and my first half thoughts in the game thread are pretty much how I still see it.

The Spurs missed a ton of shots, got badly outrebounded, didn't rotate well, made bad fouls, Timmy was slow, Bonner was AWFUL on both ends, and the Warriors ... were only up six at the half??

In any normal Spurs game, the Spurs are probably up at least eight or ten at that point. I counted nine shots inside about 10 feet that the Spurs missed in the first half, and that's not including Blair's out of control layup attempt. After watching Curry's third quarter, weren't you guys surprised to see that the Warriors were only up 12? They should have been up by 30.

Bonner/Blair can't do dat capek's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Unlike others, Gary Neal peaked early. He got some great shots in rhythm (hat tip @ Manu) and appeared headed to a big game. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. His scoring fizzled out and his defense seemingly got worse and worse.
    Gotta disagree with this a little. Gary had some good defensive plays down the stretch. He got that charge call on Curry at the beginning of our run in the 4th. And he hustled back to foul HWWNBN on that break away which allowed to choke at the line. Surprisingly enough Neal had some good defensive plays when we needed it most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Nando would do a good job on Curry. He's slower than CJ but a lot longer and if he can get around screens quickly he could prevent 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy game and great win. When TD went to the locker room late in the 4th I had no hope. For me the game was over. Fantastic run, props to the whole team to keep fighting until the end

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was an NBA point guard, and a smart one -- the Xs and Os are nothing he can't handle. But some coaches delegate stuff like that, just as lots of (most?) NFL head coaches don't call the plays themselves.

But yeah, team representatives are watching the broadcasts in real time. There's no way that teams would let a network broadcast them drawing up plays, because their opponent could potentially use that to defend it.
    This. This man got more than 10K assists during his paying career. There is little basketball strategies, if any, that he doesn't know about.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both the Spurs and Heat were extremely rusty coming of layoffs of Sunday to Monday = 8 days. We were more fortunate that El Heat, we won, but as anybody who saw the game knows, we could just as easily have lost. Mr. Ginobili would hit that last three about 1 out of 3 times. Bless his heart. I slept like crap last night after the game, I was so amped up. Okay, finally we got our mojo back, very late into the game, and we shocked that young team. My prediction is that Game 2 will go much better for us. Mr. Duncan was sick and hadn't practiced, no Mr. Splitter, and Mr. Diaw had been out for a long time, add to that the layoff, and it's amazing we won.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just rewatched the 4th quarter and both OTs. Pretty funny when Klay Thompson fouls out ~4 minutes left, Webber comments that Klay is lucky that his team does not need him anymore. Then the commentators start talking about GS defense and how the Spurs will need to come back for the next game more serious. All this while Tony scores 4 quick points.
    Its pretty obvious that when Thompson fouled out, the Spurs went on their run. The Spurs just kept on plugging away and stole that game back from a very shocked Warriors team.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    ..............@blair hating.................. blairs defense = 3 traveling violations on landry ......................... bonner = turrible defense ...................

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by pgardn; 05-07-2013 at 06:05 PM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check the video of the postgame coverage by TNT, with Kenny Smith and Barkley, they analyze the play very well. Basically the coach told his players to all switch on picks. Except one guy didn't get picked an the whole switching scheme broke down, with a double team on Parker and nobody covering Manu. After that it's a classic 2v1 offense: either Manu shoots wide open, or if the defender closes fast then Manu can pass to Diaw for an uncontested layup. As soon as the defensive rotation breaks down this means a (relatively) easy basket.

Actually if you listen to "Inside Trax" you will notice many coaches turn into motivators toward the end of games. In some cases it's because that's all the coach knows how to do, in other cases it's because that's what's needed. I don't know for certain that Jackson can't draw up a play late. I know I was surprised when every "Inside Trax" in the previous round had d'Antoni spouting clichés each and every time.

Remember that Pop is THE best coach by a mile on drawing plays coming out of a timeout, he's really the king of that and Spurs fans are a bit spoiled in this respect.
    Most of the coaches won't allow any discussion of a play to get out of the circle. So most of what we hear is motivational or instructional, but nothing exact.. Even from Pop. I have failed to see Jackson draw up anything in a number of games offensively or defensively. I posit that he does not. There are quit a few coaches who give these responsibilities to assistants here and there. But the entire game? Every game?

any Warrior fans who can shed light on this, Bay Area folks?

Oh, thanks for what happened on the last play. Manu said Boris was open and the play was going to him until he found himself wide open. That's really bad D for where we got to throw the ball in from.
    Last edited by pgardn; 05-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thread Information