Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Good for you. That and $1.84 will get you a grande coffee at Starbuck's.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Typical aggie response ^, when confronted with hard facts about history of athletic performance the aggie goes to the standard evasive answer technique, real original. But thanks for the offer on the coffe, maybe it'll keep me up a little longer while I try not to fall asleep reading your tired/repe ive responses. Thanks!

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    Here's the way to look at it, outside of the southwest, one group of people 'getting their guns up' with Zorro as their mascot, another with a covered wagon rolling down the field, yet another 'humping it' and doing "yells" and finally one yelling "Hook 'em" with a steer as their mascot all look like a bunch of rednecks.
    And in the Southeast, there's Uga the bulldog, Rocky the blue tick hound, the ridiculous Auburn "War Eagle" that actually has a tiger mascot, the RV towns that sprout up at 'Bama games, the world's largest outdoor tail party, cabooses tailgating in South Carolina, the Swamp, our neighbors to the northeast "callin' the Hogs", and the drunken Bayou Bengals of Baton Rouge.

Whiskey Tango.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, and Arkansas. I dislike them more than OU and Tech combined. Thanks for breaking up the SWC, you Razorback sister- ers.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    Post Count
    Ballcox, do you wish to elaborate in the academic gap, or is that just pompous bluster like your other statements?

FYI, for those who don't know, Texas A&M was the first public ins ution of higher learning in the state of Texas (as a agricultural & mechanical branch of a larger university system), but was poorly funded from the start. The revised startup of the university of Texas in Austin later increased the funding gap. Funding became so bad, the school was almost re-absorbed by the university of Texas system in the late 1800's by legislators who wanted to do away with the school. If not for the contributions of its former students (in particular Gen. Cushing, who also donated the largest private collection of technical texts in the world at the time), the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Texas would have been no more.

That is THE source of the animosity between Texas A&M and t.u., lowercase & backwards because A&M was the true first University of Texas.

Post Count
    http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/TT/kct8.html

T-sip handbook account of the formation of Texas A&M, lest you think it untrue.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ^ are you just oblivious to my prior statements? Pompous bluster, are we in some kind of Gone with the Wind movie or something? It is a FACT, repeat a FACT that UT has a more successful athletic history than a&m, it isn't pompous bluster, it's just the way things are. I also didn't make any mention about UT being the first school in Texas, you came up with that on your own. Now, I'm not denying that a&m has a strong academic reputation, they do. But I would venture to say that UT's academic reputation is at minimum on par with a&m, and in my personal opinion even better at the graduate and doctoral level. Que old time cinematic music.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Typical aggie response ^, when confronted with hard facts about history of athletic performance the aggie goes to the standard evasive answer technique, real original. But thanks for the offer on the coffe, maybe it'll keep me up a little longer while I try not to fall asleep reading your tired/repe ive responses. Thanks!

Hey, don't get any on the rest of us when you stroke that great ego of yours, horn fan.

Post Count
    The most entertaining aspect of the a&m fight song to me is that it is completely focused on UT, it's like some kind of wierd obsession for a&m that they have to have a fight song about UT. I don't get it.
    Explanation of your earlier comment, and a story that even most casual A&M fans are not aware of.

Now you get it.

I personally attended A&M because of the reputation of their mechanical engineering dept. and shunned an inquiry to play ball for a Mr. Makovic, among others. A&M had a fella by the name of Sam Adams playing defensive line, they didn't recruit any linemen that year, and that pretty much ended my football career. I didn't try to walk on while taking engineering classes, but I don't regret my decision to stick with what was an exemplary academic program.

Gig 'em

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    ^ are you just oblivious to my prior statements? Pompous bluster, are we in some kind of Gone with the Wind movie or something? It is a FACT, repeat a FACT that UT has a more successful athletic history than a&m, it isn't pompous bluster, it's just the way things are. I also didn't make any mention about UT being the first school in Texas, you came up with that on your own. Now, I'm not denying that a&m has a strong academic reputation, they do. But I would venture to say that UT's academic reputation is at minimum on par with a&m, and in my personal opinion even better at the graduate and doctoral level. Que old time cinematic music.
    Thanks to the 2/3rd, 1/3rd split that wasn't too difficult.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Can I bang my head up against the door any longer? Ego doesn't have anything to with fact, UT has a more successful athletic history than a&m. How that contributes to my ego I have no idea, I also don't need to really rely on UT's athletic success to enhance my ego at all. To me the facts speak for themselves, but if you want to keep referring to the 'ego' of UT fans, go ahead.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Personally, I got into both schools for undergrad and opted for the one farther away from home. Also, I had the opportunity to meet a couple of older alumni (Classes of '33 & '40) when I was making my decision as a high school senior. The older gentleman told me point blank that both were fine ins utions and a young man could'nt go wrong with either. That made quite an impression on me, as he could've easily opted to be a cheeleader for his alma mater.

In addition, I got into both, despite the inferior education the resident ego stroker believes I received, for grad school. Proximity to San Antonio was the deciding factor above all else. I certainly didn't make a decision on either undergrad or grad based upon the athletic programs of the universities I considered.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Can I bang my head up against the door any longer? Ego doesn't have anything to with fact, UT has a more successful athletic history than a&m. How that contributes to my ego I have no idea, I also don't need to really rely on UT's athletic success to enhance my ego at all. To me the facts speak for themselves, but if you want to keep referring to the 'ego' of UT fans, go ahead.
    Oh yes, no ego you exhibit.

Personally I do not care that you are 'banging' parts of your body.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You're all heart buddy, all heart. I still don't get the ego thing, but at this point it's obvious you're not changing your view/perception of my comments, fair enough.

What I don't get is this continual inferiority complex that a&m has regarding UT. You ags have to understand, we don't really even consider you that big a rival in most/all sports, we have OWNED you for years and years in any sport you can name, that's a fact. For me as a UT fan, my biggest concern is that game against ou in October, then playing them in basketball later in the year. a&m just doesn't represent that big of a challenge in most sports these days.
    Here's the deal bud. I'm pretty sure that I speak for my fellow Former Students of Texas A&M when I say that never in my life have I felt an inferiority complex to UT. UT has a great athletic department, that is true, one that I'd like A&M to have, but at the end of the day being an Aggie means more to me then how our sports teams perform. This may be hard for those of y'all that didn't attend "the university" and are t-shirt Longhorns to understand, but it's true. Bonfire, Muster, Silver Taps, the Aggie Network, Midnight Yell Practice, the Corps, Northside vs. Southside, "pulling out", class sets, THAT is what being an Aggie is all about and as far as I'm concerned A&M has the market cornered in Texas on tradition. For those of us who walked the campus in College Station for 4 or more years to earn our degrees and experienced these things first hand, its hilarious that some people who've never sniffed Austin would attach themselves to that other school in Austin.

I'm not getting down on UT grads. Most of my best friends from HS went to UT and we stayed friends throughout college. But I've said it before to my uncle, a die-hard Husker who gave it to me and my dad after we got stomped in our first Big XII championship game. I mentioned all those things and said, I'd rather be a Texas Aggie on the worst day, then a Husker or a sip on the best. Nov. 19, 1999 and Nov. 26, 1999 were 2 examples of that.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    I certainly didn't make a decision on either undergrad or grad based upon the athletic programs of the universities I considered.
    I'm shocked that you haven't been castigated for making your academic choices on such, uh, pragmatic grounds.

The "fans" of university athletic programs aren't likely to understand that kind of decision making.

Post Count
    ...I'd rather be a Texas Aggie on the worst day, then a Husker or a sip on the best. Nov. 19, 1999 and Nov. 26, 1999 were 2 examples of that.
    I had been working in Scotland for several months & just walked off the plane in Houston on Nov. 19, 1999 when I found out.

I had to go to California the next day. Nov. 26 was a special day for me, even though I wasn't there.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Here's the deal bud. I'm pretty sure that I speak for my fellow Former Students of Texas A&M when I say that never in my life have I felt an inferiority complex to UT. UT has a great athletic department, that is true, one that I'd like A&M to have, but at the end of the day being an Aggie means more to me then how our sports teams perform. This may be hard for those of y'all that didn't attend "the university" and are t-shirt Longhorns to understand, but it's true. Bonfire, Muster, Silver Taps, the Aggie Network, Midnight Yell Practice, the Corps, Northside vs. Southside, "pulling out", class sets, THAT is what being an Aggie is all about and as far as I'm concerned A&M has the market cornered in Texas on tradition. For those of us who walked the campus in College Station for 4 or more years to earn our degrees and experienced these things first hand, its hilarious that some people who've never sniffed Austin would attach themselves to that other school in Austin.

I'm not getting down on UT grads. Most of my best friends from HS went to UT and we stayed friends throughout college. But I've said it before to my uncle, a die-hard Husker who gave it to me and my dad after we got stomped in our first Big XII championship game. I mentioned all those things and said, I'd rather be a Texas Aggie on the worst day, then a Husker or a sip on the best. Nov. 19, 1999 and Nov. 26, 1999 were 2 examples of that.
    That might be your take, but I can't count how many a&m grads I've run into who are completely obsessed with UT and how many times they've beat us in this sport and that sport, etc. And God help us when a&m actually does have some kind of winning streak against UT in any sport, I never hear the end of it. For me personally, it is a rilvary game, and one that I like to see UT win as much as possible. But when we do win I don't keep harping on it over and over again. I haven't attended a&m, so no, I don't get all the traditions and history that go on there. From my perspective as a UT fan/graduate, there is a reason it's called THE University Of Texas, it implies one singular en y as the school of Texas, as a UT fan and graduate that's the way I look at it. Until you've been to the UT Tower and seen that sucker lighted up with burnt orange and the #1 on all sides after winning a national championship, you just haven't lived in my opinion.

Post Count
    ...Until you've been to the UT Tower and seen that sucker lighted up with burnt orange and the #1 on all sides after winning a national championship, you just haven't lived in my opinion.
    Whatever floats your boat. Maybe you could incorporate that into the Texas Fight lyrics somehow... (for Ags it's "Texas Bite")

Until you've been in a foriegn country, far from home and friendly faces, and someone walks up with a worn gold ring on the hand they extend to shake yours with and says, "Howdy!", you just haven't lived in my opinion.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Until you've been to the UT Tower and seen that sucker lighted up with burnt orange and the #1 on all sides after winning a national championship, you just haven't lived in my opinion.
    Been there, done that. Didn't really do much for me.

It's amazing how many UT "fans" feel the need to express their superiority vis a vis A&M.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yeah, here I am the one guy continuing this debate and all of these UT fans are just putting their two cents in right along with me.................wait, there hasn't been any other UT fans saying anything for a while now. It's only been a&m fans ganging up to repeatedly point out how UT fans are all about ego and proving how we good we are, and that we're 'better' than a&m. Huh, looks like you guys working together pretty much proved my original point about a&m and your need to 'prove' yourselves to UT fans. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..................well you guys graduated from a top notch ins ution, you can probably fill in the rest. Hook'em!

Post Count
    Yeah, here I am the one guy continuing this debate and all of these UT fans are just putting their two cents in right along with me.................wait, there hasn't been any other UT fans saying anything for a while now. It's only been a&m fans ganging up to repeatedly point out how UT fans are all about ego and proving how we good we are, and that we're 'better' than a&m. Huh, looks like you guys working together pretty much proved my original point about a&m and your need to 'prove' yourselves to UT fans. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..................well you guys graduated from a top notch ins ution, you can probably fill in the rest. Hook'em!
    Are you confusing us with Ducks? Oops, sorry-

your confused us with ducks?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Yeah, here I am the one guy continuing this debate and all of these UT fans are just putting their two cents in right along with me.................wait, there hasn't been any other UT fans saying anything for a while now. It's only been a&m fans ganging up to repeatedly point out how UT fans are all about ego
    Yes, you've made that point for me rather well. At times this forum has seen a plethora of UT "fans" jumping on whoever.

Sorry that you feel so alone. Must be due to the fact that most of your brethern don't have access to a PC during the day.

and proving how we good we are, and that we're 'better' than a&m. Huh, looks like you guys working together pretty much proved my original point about a&m and your need to 'prove' yourselves to UT fans. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..................well you guys graduated from a top notch ins ution, you can probably fill in the rest. Hook'em!
    Actually, the problem seems to lie with the fact that very few of the UT "fans" in this forum actually matriculated there.

A review of this thread will show that you made a claim and now are dumping on Aggies for "proving" anything when we were simply responding to your drivel.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    I'd be surprised if Ballcox even went to tu.

If you did, you definitely didn't mature at all.

The whole "you're not our rival, we look down on you" thing is spoken like a true internet loser.

I know guys who have played football and basketball for tu in years past, and they all consider it to be every bit the rivalry game that the tu-OU game is.

But what would the players know, some internet poster with an inferiority complex says it isn't so.

Thread Information