Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i go to UT

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    i go to UT
    Some nerd somewhere will find a reason in their colon that you aren't a fan.

A fan is a fan, the jealous want to be fans.

All of you are gay.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    SWC, LOL.

Yeah, candle lighting "rallies" are much cooler

That should read a huge bandwagon fan base.

As for the whole "treat everyone the same as long as you're backing the Horns", let's see there was the whole www.firemackovic.com thing, www.firemackbrown.com thing, then you had the whole "Applewhite sucks, play Simms crowd", you had 1/3 of the fans left at the end of the 66-3 UCLA game, then you had the "Mock sucks, play Vince" thing...

Your quote should read:
    Hey, we like diversity in our fan base, that's what happens when you're not boxed up in a one horse town like Bryan/College Station.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    Nice try, the subject is collegiate sports as previously pointed out by a real fan. It is actually closer from College to Pro. BUT feel free to answer the previous questions if you're not afraid.
    Fine, you know what -- you win. It's like talking to a wall. You're right. I don't even know why universities bother to worry about academics and I don't know why my devotion to academics makes me wonder why those who have no interest in academics decide to align themselves with secondary activities on certain campuses, but that's just me.

To answer your other questions:

I do enjoy watching the sport of football on every level from high school on up. Of course, rather than just sitting around blowing a bunch of rhetoric about how wonderful an underachieving team can be, I spend some time learning the game to understand why teams win and why they lose. I've noticed that such concerns are insiginificant to most, but not to me.

Do I root for those schools? I root for MY high school. I root for MY college. I go to great venues to see good games, to see teams that represent schools that I didn't attend. But I don't associate myself with those schools.

Do I like a good game? Yes; of course.

Was I born in Texas? I actually wasn't. But that doesn't have any affect on my love and appreciation for the game of football.

Was UT the 1st football team I was exposed to to? No; the New York Giants were.

Did I go to my 1st UT game @ the age of 7yo? Yeah, no I didn't. I was too busy playing sports at that point with games on Saturdays. Sigh.

Did I go EVERY IN' yr til I joined the Corps? Well, I can't claim the latter portion, so the question doesn't really apply to me. But I don't get what difference that really makes. Are you suggesting that that makes you more knowledgable, or just a better fan? How many of those games did you get to all by yourself? Since neither of my parents attended the University of Texas, and since their schools were thousands of miles from our home in San Antonio, that sort of outward manifestation of devotion wasn't available in my family. We didn't just adopt a local team for grins, either.

Did it take an acceptance letter to become a bogus fan overnight? You realize that a significant portion of the kids that you root for on Saturdays probably weren't Longhorns fans growing up -- are they bogus fans too? I'll guarantee you that the acceptance letter and the offer to play football for my university made me an immediate fan of that University, opened the door to a lifetime worth of great experiences, and ended whatever loyalties I may have held for other schools.

Post Count
    No; the New York Giants were.
    Well that might explain it all.
    I deal was East Coast, ummm, people everyday. I know that type.

I was 7yo & no memeber of my family went o UT.
    I was a member of Troop 358 in the Polaris district & our scoutmaster Bob Baer(sp) was tight with someone that ran the ushering program @ UT. So, about 2-3 times a yr if we'd attained certain citizenship goals in regards to school/community work we'd be allowed to go see the games. Hopefully that fine IVY league Ed now understands but, I'm not holding my breath.
    Common sense isn't so common.

...no I didn't. I was too busy playing sports at that point with games on Saturdays. Sigh.
    Sorry 'bout that, I guess I was lucky enough to go.

I spend some time learning the game to understand why teams win and why they lose. I've noticed that such concerns are insiginificant to most, but not to me.

Hey!, That is AWESOME! That is really GREAT!
    Let me know when & IF your book ever comes out.

I go to great venues to see good games, to see teams that represent schools that I didn't attend. But I don't associate myself with those schools.

So you NEVER discuss those great games afterward that you've seen?
    I'd call BULL on anyone that sees a great game in ANY sport that they like very much & claims to NOT discuss the game(s) afterward. Even if they didn't go to that school or live in that city/state.

You realize that a significant portion of the kids that you root for on Saturdays probably weren't Longhorns fans growing up -- are they bogus fans too?

You're not from here so you wouldn't understand I guess, but feel free to read about UT & ag recruits to brush up on the subject.
    Many/Most of the players that UT & aNm recruit are from the Great State of TEXAS.
    Many/Most players of those players grow up wanting to play for 1 of those 2 schools.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    Noone is saying you can't be a FAN of a school you didn't attend. Just don't get your panties in a wad when you're running smack to someone who actually attended another school and they call you a bandwagon or t-shirt fan. I could care less if you're a fan of the 'Horns and didn't go there, but if that's the case, you've got no reason to degrade my school.
    For the last goddamn time, and yeah it's a pet peeve of mine, or is it 'peave' ?

Anyway....NOONE is not a WORD. Tired of seeing this on the 'innernet'. It's TWO words. NO and ONE, like NO PERSON is two words. You wouldn't spell NO PERSON NOPERSON, would you ? Or...WOULDU ?

TWOWORDS...GE ?

Carry on with that edumacashun....

Now, I did not gradeate from UT. I went there my freshman and sop ric years but I am a Longhorn fan. I acquired my real 'longhorn fan' card when I went to work for UT-Austin back in the 70's and retired in 2002 with two breaks in employment, working in the private sector in Colarada ( one word ) and Minnesoohtah ( still not a word....) .

If that doesn't qualify then noone does...

Wait.....
    Last edited by word; 07-14-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Post Count
    I don't even know why universities bother to worry about academics and I don't know why my devotion to academics makes me wonder why those who have no interest in academics decide to align themselves with secondary activities on certain campuses, but that's just me
    Gee, can't remember the last time I saw or heard anyone cheer for a professor or class.

Who did win the last BCS of GPA? I seemed to have missed the last 40 or 50.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    That whole...'did you graduate from there is nonsense...or is it noon-sense...?

My X mother-in-law has been a die hard Kansas BB fan for 50 years and she never went to school there. Been to over 200 games but, you know...she's not really a FAN because she never went to school there.

Riiiiight....

Post Count
    Exactly what I'm talking about.
    Some people will never know what a true fan is because they aren't one themselves.
    That seems to be their problem & I love to toy with them & laugh at their posts.
    Seems like they obtained the basis for their agrument on the Nickelodeon or Disney channels.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    You're not from here so you wouldn't understand I guess, but feel free to read about UT & ag recruits to brush up on the subject.
    Many/Most of the players that UT & aNm recruit are from the Great State of TEXAS.
    Many/Most players of those players grow up wanting to play for 1 of those 2 schools.
    The rest is drivel, but this is just wrong.

I was born on the East Coast, but we moved to San Antonio when I was 6 months old. I grew up in Texas -- I played football in Texas, for a big-time high school, with and against big time players -- I played football with kids who ended up playing at the University of Texas. I know a bit about what I speak.

I personally know at least 5 kids who played at UT. I played with 2, played against 2 others, and know a 5th, though he was several years older than me. Of those 5, only 1 was an Orangeblood before being recruited to play football there. 1 of 5; 20%.

Now, I'm not saying that the trend holds up over the entire set of UT recruits- -- I know that it doesn't -- but I'm also willing to bet that a significant number of UT recruits didn't grow up as UT fans, even if they grew up in Texas -- that one grows up in Texas does not make one a UT "fan," as you say (or even an A&M "fan").

Most kids who are recruited to play collegiate football are looking for the best offer they can get (usually, meaning an offer to see playing time for a team that has a chance to be good), regardless of what their loyalties were as children.

For some, it also comes down to realizations about the importance of academics and finding a school that offers a particular program of study that is unavailable elsewhere.

Certainly, there are a great number who attend the schools that they followed as children, but for more than you'd think, the issue isn't about loyalty or childhood devotion. It's about the business of giving oneself the best opportunity to excel as a player and as a student. I'm sure that there are a number of kids who are recruited by UT and A&M, whose aspirations lie in playing at USC, Miami, Florida State, and other such programs. But you don't always get recruited by the schools that you most want -- and if you do, going to those schools isn't always the best thing for you.

Of course, what the do I know -- those are only personal experiences from having been through recruiting and things like that.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    Gee, can't remember the last time I saw or heard anyone cheer for a professor or class.

Who did win the last BCS of GPA? I seemed to have missed the last 40 or 50.
    You know, that's what's so sad about this: the most important function of the University of Texas isn't winning national championships in athletics; it's most important function is educating students and producing individuals who can better society. But nobody cheers for that stuff, and it likely isn't something that you've ever worried about, so what the difference would that make.

The next time you're hobnobbing with the Chancellor of the University of Texas (or whoever is the chief executive of the university) ask what would be more important: a national football le or a #1 national ranking for academics. I suspect it would be the latter (and particularly at UT, since a football le is lo, so many years in the past -- a fading memory).

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    You know, that's what's so sad about this: the most important function of the University of Texas isn't winning national championships in athletics; it's most important function is educating students and producing individuals who can better society. But nobody cheers for that stuff,
    Well, just how would one 'cheer' for that 'stuff' ? Forget about all that. Texas is a good University, Oklahoma is a good University, aTm is a good University, Colorado is a good University, Baylor, Kansas...blah blah...and none of 'em are a Cal Tech or MIT. On the other hand, their football teams suck more than say, OU's academic sucks.

When you start rooting for Yale, then come back and yap about 'academics'.
    Then of course, you'd have nothing to say on a CFB board/forum/thread.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    Post Count
    I'll take as many knowledgeable Aggie fans as I can get.

But there is a lot more to Texas A&M than just football games. The traditions pretty much permeate through campus life. If you live on campus, whether in the Corps of Cadets or a Non-Reg(imented student), the "unit" mentality has carried over from the millitary days, either with your squad or with your dorm. I fear that a lot of the traditions associated with dorm life may dissapear somewhat with the discontinuation of Bonfire (may the 12 Ags who lost their lives rest in peace). It was a focal point for a lot of activities, mixing with the girls dorms, etc. FYI, although there is a large greek population at A&M, the percentage of students when I went there was still quite small in comparison to the total # of students. We used to have shirts that said, "buy a friend - join a frat; earn a friend - build a bonfire."

Plus, you get some gems like the Hart Hall "Super Grode" Yell:

Hart Hall
    ___ 'em all,
    ___, ____, ____.
    Grab a ____,
    ____ a ____,
    Sure is fun
    but tastes like ____.
    Through the ramps,
    into bed.
    Give us ____
    until we're dead.
    Eat ____ Puryear,
    ____ you Law,
    Wish you could be
    Hart ____'n Hall.

Gig 'em

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Don't forget the quality debates:

" you, Puryear."

"Eat , Law."

edit...saw that in the Hart yell. I thought it was the reverse.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    Post Count
    Don't forget the quality debates:

" you, Puryear."

"Eat , Law."

edit...saw that in the Hart yell. I thought it was the reverse.
    It is reversed... that was done to piss them off.

Addendum: Unfortunately, Law and Puryear are no longer there... and Hart and Walton have electrical devices in their windows other than box fans... sad days. I remember the good ol' days when Hart was "Built by Aggies - Air Conditioned by God".

A moment of silence, please...
    Last edited by SWC Bonfire; 07-14-2005 at 12:12 PM.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    Of course, that's part of Mr. Dio's apparent quarrel with me, since my college football team -- my loyalties in college football -- are with Columbia, the school for which I played; I don't root for Yale, I actively root against Yale, which is in Columbia's league.

Thus, my standing to "yap" about academics.

And what I don't get is how the team you support has anything to do with whether or not you know anything about college football. I support Columbia, but that doesn't mean I don't follow the play of other colleges. Besides, who I root for came up in the context of chastizing Mr. Dio and other UT "fans" for giving OU fans a bunch of garbage about losing the National Championship game -- I'd be a hypocrite if I was propping Penn for beating Princeton, but that's not what we're talking about here. Of course, in these threads, the real point is insigificant to most of the "fans," who are bent on showing that they're somehow more committed to the University's enterprise than the students of the University are.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    That whole...'did you graduate from there is nonsense.
    That's not the point at all. The point is that some of the worst offenders in the whole "smack talk" thing are people who never even went to school there, and get their panties in a bunch when you bring that smack on them (like Dio).

If you didn't even go to school there, don't get pissed when someone cracks on you for that. If you can try and run some lame smack about me actually going to A&M, I sure as can run smack about your sorry ass not even going to the school you're trying to talk on behalf of.

That is all.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    mookies going to own you come fall
    hes going to post here like he owns the place

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    Of course, that's part of Mr. Dio's apparent quarrel with me, since my college football team -- my loyalties in college football -- are with Columbia, the school for which I played
    Columbia has a football team ? Say how did you guys do against Ecuador...?

Kidding...I know Ecuador is mainly a labotomy and zoologic...al...skewl.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your shuttle. I wasn't even aware Columbia HAD a space program.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    That's not the point at all. The point is that some of the worst offenders in the whole "smack talk" thing are people who never even went to school there, and get their panties in a bunch when you bring that smack on themThat is all.
    Uh-uh..the point is that you could be talking to my bud Spudster who I watched get thrown in a trash dumpster outside the Dixie Chicken in 1986 and plays golf with Willie and Darryl Royal and has one of them there 'stars' planted in the seeeeement outside of DKR and a shabby UT Law degree., you could be him for all I know.

Hey man, 'call me'.

You'd never know it much like you don't know who is who here or most any place else unless you recognize their face as famous.

The only assumption you can make here is that a person is a fan. That is all.
    I've learned to just leave it at that.

Post Count
    Of course, what the do I know -- those are only personal experiences from having been through recruiting and things like that
    Gee, just love how the stories you have seem to almost answer everything I put out.
    Uh huh, we ALL beleive you haas!

Columbia has a football team ? Say how did you guys do against Ecuador...?

Kidding...I know Ecuador is mainly a labotomy and zoologic...al...skewl.

An ambulance somewhere has a pissed off person chasing it.

That's not the point at all. The point is that some of the worst offenders in the whole "smack talk" thing are people who never even went to school there, and get their panties in a bunch when you bring that smack on them (like Dio).
    You mean someone that pisses you off? Too bad ass!
    It's still here whenever you want it!
    AHF was all talk about how he was goin to join Force Recon or the SEALS & save the world & she PUNKED out like the little she is. Be sure when you bring a man's name up you can back it up little boy.

Well, just how would one 'cheer' for that 'stuff' ? Forget about all that. Texas is a good University, Oklahoma is a good University, aTm is a good University, Colorado is a good University, Baylor, Kansas...blah blah...and none of 'em are a Cal Tech or MIT. On the other hand, their football teams suck more than say, OU's academic sucks.

Can't believe someone can't understand this simple subject.
    I DON'T cheer for any class or professor at ANY school. That is pretty hard to follow with an Ivy League Ed huh?
    I NEVER said grades were second rate.

GUess what?

I'm still a FAN!
    Stings doesn't it? Despite your best attempt I still am.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    GUess what?

I'm still a FAN!
    Stings doesn't it? Despite your best attempt I still am.
    Still a "fan" who blasts Sooner fan for losing in a national championship game that his team couldn't reach. . . . .

I hate Rutgers

you Rutgers!

Post Count
    Still a "fan" who blasts Sooner fan for losing in a national championship game that his team couldn't reach.
    I guess that Ivy league Ed comes thru AGAIN.
    It was what initially got you all wound up & apparently still works on you.
    Funny that you're someone who trys to associate himself with ou even though you didn't go there. Oh, the silly web of hypocrisy that you've woven..& entangled yourself in.
    What little legitimacy you've once had is no more.

Thread Information