Weight: 200 lbs. / 91 kg.
    Born: Tbilisi, Georgia

wiki

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want him on the Spurs roster, bad.

2 year deal, minimum, non-guaranteed second year.

No excuses to not get him.

He was very promising in his lone summer league appearance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fraggle Rock has pretty cool uniforms.

At the very least, I want him on the summer league team. A couple years in Austin also wouldn't hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he looks like a young brent barry but longer arms

i want this guy on our team NAO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the question why isnt this guy on our toros team, but playing in a league in europe?

he should be here so the scouts can have a better look at him.....and can be called up anytime and chuck on the spurs team for a few games see if he can adapt to the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    setting aside my own personal judgement of whether Sanikidze can play NBA ball . . .

The Spurs traded UP to get this guy, passing on another 6-8 19 year old SF in the process (Ariza).

They need to sign him just to try him out. I would say after the trouble they went through to draft him they owe it to themselves to find out once and for all if he could ever be worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does not have NBA talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i heard he was like the next peja?

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah not Peja.

The guy has to be brought into Summer league again and then training camp.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of Sanikidze in this video, #13 in black.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring him to the summer league to see what he can do.

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the question why isnt this guy on our toros team, but playing in a league in europe?

he should be here so the scouts can have a better look at him.....and can be called up anytime and chuck on the spurs team for a few games see if he can adapt to the NBA.
    As I say before he has offers from some Greek clubs for next year. He will move into a top level league in Europe next year probably. So we will know for sure then what he is capable of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He didn't look too good in that video. Not as fluid as I remember him.

Hopefully he was hurt or something because that's not anywhere near NBA level play . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow. Helps you appreciate NBA athleticism after watching something like that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no defense at all in the video lol

do they call a timeout after every made shot?

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't judge him until next season when he moves to a high level league in Europe. I think we will know about him next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could we trade him for a second rounder this year or him and javatsokas for a late 1st round

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ouch. this reminds me a lot about an Austrian league game.
    but hey, Sanikidze could have a pretty nice career in Fürstenfeld!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were so excited about getting Viktor- even more excited than drafting Beno that year. Supposedly, he was the big Spurs steal of that draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, in another thread you said that the Georgian national team has its first game on August 15. Do you (or anyone) know when their training camp starts?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's some random Sanikidze notes :

His team lost in the Estonian league Finals over a week ago to BC Kalev/Cramo in 5 games, 3-2. Sanikidze in the series was singled out and praised by the BC coach for being a good player and that he wasn't "drafted by random" in the NBA draft.

Tartu Rock is letting go of one of their foreigners, Tanoka Beard, and from what I can tell from the translations, the other big ones, Sanikidze and Tsintsadze, aren't locks for next year, their contractual continuations are under 'consideration'.

Not too surprisingly for Spurs fans, Sanikidze had minor issues with illness during the spring, missing a game in February. In April he missed a practice which led to the coach's disclosure that "He is here in the last month have already several times received such a cold or virus."

The Eurobasket site for their Estonian league awards named Sanikidze to the all-import team and to 2nd team all Estonian league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno, in another thread you said that the Georgian national team has its first game on August 15. Do you (or anyone) know when their training camp starts?
    Don't know exactly when, but in 2007 when Sankidze played on the Spurs summer league team in both LV and Utah, his last scheduled game was July 14th before he had to return to Georgia.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Sanikidze videos. These are not mine, but there should be a new one to add to these in the next 2 weeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As promised, a new Sanikidze highlight clip.

After having watched several games worth of both SEB and BBL ball, and realizing how poorly that reflects on how I spend my time, I can still say that I want the Spurs to sign him this summer no matter what.

Could he get better with time next year with a euro-league level team? Sure. But why wait? After all, as a second round pick he counts about half towards the luxury tax. And the worst that could happen is he could play so poorly the Spurs get routed in the first round by the Mavs.

First, constant use of airhorns in Tartu and elsewhere is beyond nauseating.

Back to Sanikidze. This guy can play in the NBA. He's a legit long 3, long arms and all. I'm not saying he's the savior, I'm not saying he'll be a star, but I firmly believe he could be a bench player in the league. He might be missing some things in his game, especially an inbetween game. But he moves great without the ball cutting to the basket which would fit in well with the Spurs, finishes well for the most part, and does play with some intelligence (at least in the games I saw I didn't notice any seriously dumb plays).

He's solid with the ball driving and passing off to big men for easy baskets, something not really evident in the video due to poor camera angles and other issues. His handle was respectable in the games I saw.

He definately has shotblocking skills, and though once compared to Kirilenko potentially with his length and ap ude he's probably closer to Tayshaun Prince with regards to blocks.

Usually I saw him matched up against much heavier players when he was on the court playing 4, which was most of the time. He competed hard for rebounds but his lack of strength I think would hurt him in the NBA. He wouldn't be a bad rebounder, but his stats might lead people to think he'd be a great rebounding SF but I'm skeptical. Defensively, I'm at a loss to explain what to expect from him on the perimeter against a 1-on-1 player. He rarely had to cover someone on the perimeter with the ball to my memory so I don't know. His lenght and shotblocking help, and I'm confident he'd be no worse in the Spurs system on defense than a Finley or a Mason.

His 3-point shot is still kind of funky to look at, he's no deadeye. Servicable maybe, but he'd be a candidate for shot re-build with Chip.

He can definately finish in the open court and get up for alley-oops. There was one play where the ball was passed impossibly high so maybe only a Dwight Howard or Lebron could have gotten it and finished, but Sanikidze was able to grab it, but unable to finish. It was something I found impressive even in it's failure. No current Spur would have even been able to catch the ball at all except maybe a healthy Ian.

One thing that exists regardless of level of basketball, is that he's a player full of passion. That's something the Spurs need. I don't just mean hustle or energy. , Kurt Thomas hustles. Ime Udoka hustles. I mean passion, even a little overboard sometimes as you can see in the video. Plenty more instances of immense enthusiasm following plays happened that weren't included. He was damn into those games, even if it was just some run of the mill SEB game in an airhorn filled gym. The Spurs need players to inject new enthusiasm and vitality into their game. Maybe even reigned in just a little, because I saw two instances of him running up the score on teams when the amount of time remaining was less than the shot clock and the game was settled.

Other notes. Gert Kullamae looks old enough to be Indrek Visanpuu's father. And Sanikidze looks like he might be old enough to be Kullamae's father.

In at least 1 game Sanikidze had what appeared to be a heavily wrapped hand, I don't know if it was a serious issue or not. There were games where good things were happening when Sanikidze was playing which is in line with my summer league memories, but then the coach would stick him on the bench for long stretches of time.

So to sum up, I believe Sanikidze can play in the NBA and I want the Spurs to sign him. Just my opinion. I may be just another dumb fan, but I was also dumb enough to think Scola could play in the NBA among other things. If only other people had been so dumb.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did seem to have some fatigue issues at least to my memory. Whether that was due to illness or poor conditioning I couldn't say. Sometimes instead of sliding or gliding he was more . . . dragging.

Thread Information