Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. Thanks Bruno. I guess we'll see if other people find a thread like this useful, but I thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss things about international basketball that might not fit into any specific trade, draft, prospect, or free agency thread.

So... for anyone who follows European basketball, why does the Euroleague have best of 5 series in the quarterfinals, but then have single elimination games in the Final Four? If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around. Theories?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    luis scola!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Third post in and it's a Scola thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So... for anyone who follows European basketball, why does the Euroleague have best of 5 series in the quarterfinals, but then have single elimination games in the Final Four? If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around. Theories?
    It's mostly for medias coverage reasons.

The Euroleague wants to end with an event that is covered by medias from all Europeans countries and not only by medias from countries with a team in the finals. If you do a finals in a best of 5 format that is way more complicate and costly to cover, I'm not sure a lot of other countries medias will follow it.

But, yes, Euroleague has a weird compe ion format.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes sense. Thanks Bruno

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next question: Does anyone know a good site to get European box scores quickly? Partizan won their game tonight, but I haven't been able to find a box score yet. Realgm often has them, but nothing there yet.

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mostly for medias coverage reasons.

The Euroleague wants to end with an event that is covered by medias from all Europeans countries and not only by medias from countries with a team in the finals. If you do a finals in a best of 5 format that is way more complicate and costly to cover, I'm not sure a lot of other countries medias will follow it.

But, yes, Euroleague has a weird compe ion format.
    That's probably the main reason but also the question of finding the time for playoffs.European clubs play in several compe ions,for instance Partizan is playing 4 different every year:euroleague,adriatic league,national cup and now the domestic league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's probably the main reason but also the question of finding the time for playoffs.European clubs play in several compe ions,for instance Partizan is playing 4 different every year:euroleague,adriatic league,national cup and now the domestic league.
    Since it is the most important compe ion, I find it strange that the Euroleague isn't the last compe ion of the year. Is it because the domestic leagues' schedules don't all line up with each other? If so, it seems like it would make sense to come up with a uniform time frame for domestic leagues so that the highest level compe ion is at the end of the basketball season. I know there are a lot of different organizations involved, but... it would make sense, wouldn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since it is the most important compe ion, I find it strange that the Euroleague isn't the last compe ion of the year. Is it because the domestic leagues' schedules don't all line up with each other? If so, it seems like it would make sense to come up with a uniform time frame for domestic leagues so that the highest level compe ion is at the end of the basketball season. I know there are a lot of different organizations involved, but... it would make sense, wouldn't it?
    This but also for national federations their compe ions are the primary ones,not euroleague.Spanish league has 18 teams,only 4 of them play in euroleague.It's impossible to come up with unique schedule for all domestic leagues.

bright future biziofromdowntown's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pao won Greek championship vs Olympiacos, a clear 3-0 for the greens. Such a shame for the Reds, euroleague winners but a really overpumped team IMO. Gist played a great finals series btw.

bright future biziofromdowntown's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot, props Bruno!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emiliano Carchia @SportandoBasket
    CSKA Moscow is in talks with San Antonio Spurs to play an exhibition game in Texas next fall, as Ettore Messina said

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/...tion-game.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This but also for national federations their compe ions are the primary ones,not euroleague.Spanish league has 18 teams,only 4 of them play in euroleague.It's impossible to come up with unique schedule for all domestic leagues.
    Exactly. Every league has a little bit different format or domestic leagues, different number of teams in the playoffs, different number of games played etc. It would be impossible to end them all at the same time. Even if they would, I imagine the Euroleague finals would be played late in June, which would be kind of awkward (at least to me - may be because I'm used to it to end in May).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FNT coach has given a first list with 17 players for the 2013 Eurobasket:

PG: Tony Parker, Léo Westermann, Antoine Diot, Thomas Heurtel
    SG: Evan Fournier, Nando De Colo, Yannick Bokolo, Edwin Jackson
    SF: Nicolas Batum, Charles Kahudi, Mickaël Gelabale
    PF: Boris Diaw, Joffrey Lauvergne, Kim Tillie, Florent Pietrus
    C: Ronny Turiaf, Alexis Ajinça

Parker, Diaw and De Colo are in without a surprise. It's noteworthy that De Colo has been selected as a SG. FNT coach has always liked him more at that spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Gobert,Noah,Mahimi and that Jean Charles guy?

Anyway with Spain being without Pau and Navaro,France has a team to fight for gold.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any reason why Seraphin wasn't included? I don't see how you could possibly take Turiaf over him (just because he is a good buddy of TP?). Noah probably still has to recover from his injuries.

It's really too bad that Bertans had to suffer that injury. This tournament would have given him some valuable experience going against some of Europe's best players. Just noticed that Latvia called up Biedrins, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Séraphin, Mahinmi and Noah all turned down the NT for various reasons.

Gobert and Jean-Charles are alongside Albicy, Leloup and Moerman are on a complimentary list of players who can be called in case of injuries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who is interested in next years international draft class should keep an eye on the U19 FIBA World Championship which tips off today. This year it includes some big prospects with Dario Saric, Dante Exum and other Hoop Summit participants like Gabriel Deck and Tomas Dimsa. I still remember the tournament two years ago was really fun to watch with a ton of good players: Bertans, Valanciunas, Karasev, Mirotic, Nogueira, Neto, Jeremy Lamb, Meyers Leonard and probably more that I just forgot.

http://prague2013.fiba.com/

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomorrow is the first friendly game for FNT against Finland. Parker will play but I expect him to take it easy. De Colo got injured during practices but reports said that it's a minor injury and that he should play tomorrow game.

Aside of that, Canada will start its training camp tomorrow. Their first friendly games will be in a week against Jamaica and the Americas Championship will start on August 30th. It should be a great learning experience for Cory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomorrow is the first friendly game for FNT against Finland. Parker will play but I expect him to take it easy. De Colo got injured during practices but reports said that it's a minor injury and that he should play tomorrow game.

Aside of that, Canada will start its training camp tomorrow. Their first friendly games will be in a week against Jamaica and the Americas Championship will start on August 30th. It should be a great learning experience for Cory.
    Where have you seen that Nando is injured ?

Thread Information