Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull ! Something like this has happened EVERY single year the Spurs have won a championship, somewhere along the line, except for the strike-shortened 1999 season. Sometimes the toughest opponent doesn't come in the Finals - this year it did. But winning it all is always tough. And the Spurs have suffered losses at least as bad as the one on Sunday night, and bounced back to win it all each time.

I'm amazed at some of the comments from people who I know were around for each of those other le runs. So, for those who have forgotten, here's a reminder:

2003 Western Conference Semi-Finals

Spurs lost Game 3 at LAKERS 95-110. Spurs were down by as much as 24 in that game. Tim and Tony were both -27.

After getting mauled in Game 3, they Spurs went on to lose Game 4 as well, and most of the writers and commentators had written the Spurs off. (So had many of the fans.)
    Then in Game 5, at home, the Spurs held a 25 point lead, with 3:13 to go in the third - but with 19 seconds left in the game, the Spurs were only ahead by 1.
    The Spurs barely held on to win Game 5, 96-94, then closed out LA 110-82 in Game 6, on the way to Championship Number Two.

2005 NBA Finals

Spurs lost Game 3 at Pistons 79 - 96. Spurs were ahead by 1 at the half, and tied with 1:17 left in the third quarter, when the Pistons went on a 21-3 run. Sound familiar? Tim Duncan was -23 in that game.

Spurs lost Game 4 at Pistons 71-102. That's a 31 point loss, after losing the previous game badly! The Pistons held the Spurs to .371 from the field, and committed only 3 turnovers, compared to the Spurs' 17 turnovers.

After the big losses in Games 3 and 4, many (if not most) of the writers and analysts said that the Pistons physical play made it impossible for the Spurs to win a 7 game series against them. And they were almost right. The Spurs had to win an overtime thriller in Game 5, lost Game 6 at home, but closed out the Pistons in Game 7 for Championship Number Three.

2007 Western Conference Semi-Finals

Spurs lost Game 2 at Suns 81-101. Spurs were down by 7 at the half, and only down by 3 with 3:07 left in the third quarter, but trailed by as much as 22 in the fourth quarter. Sound Familiar? The Suns went on a 33-11 run. Tony Parker was -26 in that game.

The Spurs won Game 1 on the road, by 5 points. They were up by only 1 with 27 second left in that game. Sound familiar?
    The Spurs wound up closing out Phoenix in 6 tough games. Even after winning Game 1 in Phoenix, the Spurs still had to win another on the road.

2007 Western Conference Finals

Spurs lost Game 3 at Jazz, 83-109. Spurs were ahead by 4 at the half, and only down by 3 points with 4 minutes left in the third quarter. Sound familiar? The Spurs got outscored by 23 points over the last 16 minutes of the game.

The Spurs won two difficult games against the Jazz, at home, but then got hammered in Game 3 in Utah. After that 26 point drubbing, many said that the physical play of the Jazz was going to be too much for the Spurs as the series wore on. The series only wore on two more games, as the Spurs closed out the series in Game 5, on their way to Championship Number Four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this in another thread the problem is Tim Duncan is not Tim Duncan anymore so we can't ask him to snap out of it and carry us. We need Tony to do it who has played great up to this point (aside from game 2) BUT is not an all time great player.. Lebron is prepping to take a giant on us in SA.. Everyone as a team better step up..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man those piston losses were ugly

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim in 05 was pretty banged up and for sure was not playing at 100%, so i'd say that 05 Tim was as good as this 2013 Tim. The problem is Ginobili, he was in GOD mode back then, right now he's in turnover mode and if he won't show up we're finished. Wade is looking like but even he still plays better than Manu....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim in 05 was pretty banged up and for sure was not playing at 100%, so i'd say that 05 Tim was as good as this 2013 Tim. The problem is Ginobili, he was in GOD mode back then, right now he's in turnover mode and if he won't show up we're finished. Wade is looking like but even he still plays better than Manu....

No as bad as wade has been he looks like an all star compared to gino right now

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seriously. i've said so many times this year that these spurs remind me so much of all the championship year teams. the good and the bad. the last few years the spurs haven't been blown away too often in the playoffs and look where it got them. it was really aggravating considering i honestly believed that if they concentrated, they had a shot at a sweep. It is what it is and the spurs have been destroyed many a time on the way to a championship (as seen above, thank you). it's annoying to hear the "i told you so's" by the bandwagoners, but who cares. there's a big chunk of the series left. spurs in 5, maybe 6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.. Manu has nothing left especially against a great defensive team like this. I can't see him snapping out of it and stepping up in the next 3 games he just looks done as a player sadly..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post, gives some perspective. Thing I take from last night is that even if two of the big 3 had played well, the run never happens and it probably goes down to the wire again. No doubt the Spurs bounce back in a big way tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of Tim's Per-36 stats are the same or better than that 07 season. Manu is stinking it up. But I may take a few minutes to dredge up all of the amazing piss-poor performances from the Spurs' supporting cast in those championship years. I remember one game Beno was something like -24 in 11 minutes. I remember Jacques Vaughn and Brent Barry being in the -20 range in some games. It's obvious Manu will have to be better than he was in Game 2. But there are a bunch of other guys on this roster who can contribute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy is not Timmy offensively anymore and Manu is a s of his former self.. and we've never played a player like Lebron before. So as much as I like your optimism, it's not the same. It's going to take a great collective effort to win this thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like Miami slowly and methodically whooped the spurs. Spurs were up by 1 with three minutes to go in the 3rd quarter for Christ's sake. The perfect storm happened in a matter of minutes. It won't happen again. You don't turnover the ball against the Heat. You don't leave their three point shooters WIDE open, and you need the Big three to show up. Spurs will make adjustments hopefully, and Timmy and Tony always show up after an embarrassing performance. For Manu, I haven't given up on him, but I don't look forward to watching him anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy is not Timmy offensively anymore and Manu is a s of his former self.. and we've never played a player like Lebron before. So as much as I like your optimism, it's not the same. It's going to take a great collective effort to win this thing.
    If Timmy can show up and take the best frontcourt(Memphis) in the league to school, he can post up against this Heat team. Timmy is settling for jumpers. His shot is off. I'm looking forward to game three. He will show up.
    Lebron isnt beating us, his teammates are. Spurs also spotted them 17 effing TOs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the thing while Tim is not Tim anymore there is no excuse for him not to dominate in this series when they have nobody on the block to stop him. He played soft in game 2 and I have no idea why? He needs to demand that ball and make aggressive moves in the post. All that bull where he is fading away and settling for his jumpers needs to stop.. If Tony and Tim don't score 20 plus every game we can't win..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Possibly the best thread of the year so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this in another thread the problem is Tim Duncan is not Tim Duncan anymore so we can't ask him to snap out of it and carry us. We need Tony to do it who has played great up to this point (aside from game 2) BUT is not an all time great player.. Lebron is prepping to take a giant on us in SA.. Everyone as a team better step up..

So in 2003, the Spurs had Tim when he was Tim, Manu when he was Manu, the best perimeter defender in the league (Bowen), and a young Tony Parker. And they STILL went 6 games against every opponent along the way. Those team were all good enough to take a much better Spurs squad (better than this one) to 6 games?

And in 2005, the Spurs had Tim when he was Tim, Manu when he was Manu, the best perimeter defender in the league (Bowen), and a more mature Tony Parker. And they STILL took 6 games to beat the Sonics, and 7 games to beat the Pistons. If the Spurs were that much better back then, it's hard not to make a case that both of those team were at least as good as Miami. WERE those teams at least as good as Miami?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're kidding yourself if you think 2007 Lebron is anywhere near the player he is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're kidding yourself if you think 2007 Lebron is anywhere near the player he is now.
    I know. He's like 20, 30, or 50 times better now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly Kawhi is doing a great job on Lebron. Why the F, are we helping out with 3 guys and leaving Allen, Miller, Chalmers, and company easy wide open threes. It makes no sense. Make Lebron beat us. He can't beat this team alone. For all the talk of Pop's offensive philosophy about creating the best open looks, he sure does return the favor for the Heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the thing while Tim is not Tim anymore there is no excuse for him not to dominate in this series when they have nobody on the block to stop him. He played soft in game 2 and I have no idea why? He needs to demand that ball and make aggressive moves in the post. All that bull where he is fading away and settling for his jumpers needs to stop.. If Tony and Tim don't score 20 plus every game we can't win..
    This.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is shooting like 20% with Haslem guarding him...smh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is shooting like 20% with Haslem guarding him...smh..
    Stop taking fade away J's and get better position down there. Old School Tim needs to man up I am stunned at his lack of aggression in game 2 when this is his final chance to win number 5..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah there's no way last night's loss is the worst loss the Spurs have ever had in a Playoff or Finals game. I didn't know what to think after the 2 blowouts at the hands of the Pistons in 05' in Games 3 and 4. Tim looked defeated on the bench with a blank stare in his eyes and Pop having to sit next to him, tap him on the knee and tell him it will be OK. At that point everything looked like it was slipping away and there was no way the Spurs would bounce back to win that series against the defending champion Pistons. But the Spurs stepped up huge in Game 5, won, and eventually won their 3rd NBA le....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    take the ball to the rack, don't have everyone collapse in the middle when someone drives in, and don't leave Miller/Allen open on outside shot attempts.

Problem solved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haslem gets good position, but with Duncan's size and weight advantage, along with his foot work, TD should be doing work against these guys.

Thread Information