Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a hard decision. Either way the decision can bite you in the ass. Say you foul a player from the Heat bringing the ball up the floor before James shot that 3, and that player makes both free throws. Then there would still be time to foul the Spurs and time for the Spurs to miss free throws. You just never know what could happen in that situation. What lost them the game was not securing the damn rebound.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We obviously dont keep a top 5 player of all time and our defensive anchor in the game with the win on the line either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a hard decision. Either way the decision can bite you in the ass. Say you foul a player from the Heat bringing the ball up the floor before James shot that 3, and that player makes both free throws. Then there would still be time to foul the Spurs and time for the Spurs to miss free throws. You just never know what could happen in that situation. What lost them the game was not securing the damn rebound.
    That. It's the ghost of .4 coming back to haunt the Spurs. Heat hit two clutch 3's in a row with our "quick defense and hands" crew on the floor. Give credit where credit is due.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He puts that smirk on his face and says, "That's a European question, right?". This is the same guy who berates Americans (as if he isn't one) for being dismissive of Euro ball. But when he does it, it's different.

Arrogant, and a hypocrite. AND he ed up the game. When the Spurs needed to defend against a 3, he pulled Duncan. When the Heat needed to defend against a 3, they left Bosh in the game. Which one worked out better?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He puts that smirk on his face and says, "That's a European question, right?". This is the same guy who berates Americans (as if he isn't one) for being dismissive of Euro ball. But when he does it, it's different.

Arrogant, and a hypocrite. AND he ed up the game. When the Spurs needed to defend against a 3, he pulled Duncan. When the Heat needed to defend against a 3, they left Bosh in the game. Which one worked out better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Europe they at least don't sit their best rebounder when the game is on the line....
    That's right. Tiago was never benched in crucial moments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dusan Ivkovic and Obradovic would have done it.
    They did it several times.
    Just to name a couple with ...vic ending.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be a given IMO that you foul when up 3. I never understood, even if you have a poor FT shooting team, why you don't foul. This was such a bang-bang play(s) though it's hard to fault someone.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foul and he makes the three spurs lose
    How does Bosh make a three when he's sixteen feet from the rim?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What lost him the game was treat OT like a lost cause from the start. The game wasn't over, everyone just acted like they lost already.

bright future biziofromdowntown's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid Moron. I believed pops different man but he's an arrogant self-referential. We do this in Europe, and we WIN championships. What a shade on pops career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be a given IMO that you foul when up 3. I never understood, even if you have a poor FT shooting team, why you don't foul. This was such a bang-bang play(s) though it's hard to fault someone.
    That's the problem with the way it turned out. Miller got the ball out of his hands before any Spur could have gotten to him. Bosh was almost the same thing. BUT... it was obvious that the Spurs didn't have instructions to foul, given the opportunity. I don't know if they could have gotten to Bosh in time, or not. But Pop obviously told them not to try. Because "We don't do that"? He doesn't mind hacking guys that are poor FT shooters, so I know it's not because he thinks it's bad. Apparently he just doesn't think it works. I don't get it. When they were up by 5, the only way they could lose was to give up two 3-pointers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Same scenario when you are up 3. You see it all the time. I would foul every time to ensure they cannot tie or win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will not have that chance in Game 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Same scenario when you are up 3. You see it all the time. I would foul every time to ensure they cannot tie or win.
    But the honor code!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is hack-a-player is essentially the same gamble IMO. Not completely apples-to-apples, but close enough to where it's surprising many coaches that favor that, don't foul up 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, let's put it this way.
    The only time Popovich coached against Euro coaches, he ended up a couple of stories below a couple of them.
    And that having Duncan in his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Majority of the coaches in the US.
    Majority of coaches in the only league that matters lol

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foul and he makes the three spurs lose
    You don't let him get a shot off, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid Moron. I believed pops different man but he's an arrogant self-referential. We do this in Europe, and we WIN championships. What a shade on pops career
    So every team in Europe wins the championship?

Or every team in Europe does it, one of them wins the championship over all the other teams who do it, therefore it must be the right thing to do?

I'm not even sure which of these explanations is dumber than the other one.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    don nelson did this against the raps in bosh's last year. almost cost them the game tbh, they won by 1 cuz bosh missed the layup.
    risky but I dont think miami couldve made the steal with a better percentage than making some 3s ala lebron/ray allen smh

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    NBA coaches refuse to do it for some reason. Even Phil Jackson would never do it and it burned the Lakers multiple times. Kobe has single handedly burned opponent coaches who refuse to it with last second 3's probably 25 times in his career.

I honestly think NBA coaches get way too much credit for the most part. Most of them really aren't very good and are usually more hindrance than help. I guarantee you Tom Thibodeaux wins that game last night if he his coaching the Spurs, guaranteed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers believes in fouling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump worthy.

As to last nights giveaway game vs Portland, i am referring to end of regulation with Spurs up 3.
    Not necc saying foul, but why would you give a wide open uncontested trey?
    Watch Cojo (and i think also Ginoba ) when Portland launches a missed shot with about 7 seconds left. They both leave their man and come down well inside the arc.
    Cojo is well inside the free throw line. Thus leaving Lillard wide open for the game tying 3 after Portland got the O rebound.
    Durrrrrr a two pointer cannot beat you.
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 12-20-2014 at 08:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"We don't do that over here!"

Back to back games.
    Cleveland and now today vs Phoenix.
    109-106 3.2 seconds left.
    Kelly Oubre Jr. makes three point jumper (Ricky Rubio assists) 109 - 109

Thread Information