Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang totally forgot about this post tbh. Still holds true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does any team do that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does any team do that?
    Some do some don't.
    Of the teams that chose to foul:
    Teams that deliberately fouled won 17 of the 19 games in regulation and lost once. Teams won all 14 of the games in which they purposefully fouled with five seconds or less to play. One game went to overtime, and the team that fouled when leading in regulation won.

2010 article. Dk if any group has updated the stats. Most of the "let's defend instead" teams won too.

Most recent example i can remember (not saying it's the NBAs most recent outside of Poppy and the Spurs): Earlier this year Rick Carlisle said his team made a mistake in not fouling when up 3 as the Lakers inbounded with 6 seconds left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/sports/basketball/22fouls.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t do that. But we do foul over and over on purpose when we’re up by 13 in the 3rd. That’s a no brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t do that. But we do foul over and over on purpose when we’re up by 13 in the 3rd. That’s a no brainer.

rofl still remember him doing that during the Clippers series against Jordan when the Spurs had a double digit lead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m 10000% sure they were instructed to foul. I saw Becky say it clear as day to Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rofl still remember him doing that during the Clippers series against Jordan when the Spurs had a double digit lead
    That’s exactly the game I was thinking about when i typed that.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Back to back games.
    Cleveland and now today vs Phoenix.
    109-106 3.2 seconds left.
    Kelly Oubre Jr. makes three point jumper (Ricky Rubio assists) 109 - 109
    GOAT coach of all-time I'm told.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some do some don't.
    Of the teams that chose to foul:
    Teams that deliberately fouled won 17 of the 19 games in regulation and lost once. Teams won all 14 of the games in which they purposefully fouled with five seconds or less to play. One game went to overtime, and the team that fouled when leading in regulation won.

2010 article. Dk if any group has updated the stats. Most of the "let's defend instead" teams won too.

Most recent example i can remember (not saying it's the NBAs most recent outside of Poppy and the Spurs): Earlier this year Rick Carlisle said his team made a mistake in not fouling when up 3 as the Lakers inbounded with 6 seconds left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/sports/basketball/22fouls.html
    Back in the prehistoric days of 2010, it was easier. Now everyone and their mother knows to shoot when a foul is incoming. It's tough to do nowadays. You're only safe if a player has their back to the basket and they're in two-point range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back in the prehistoric days of 2010, it was easier. Now everyone and their mother knows to shoot when a foul is incoming. It's tough to do nowadays. You're only safe if a player has their back to the basket and they're in two-point range.
    They didn't know that from 2010 and before?

2nd huge factor is whether or not the would-be fouling team has a foul to give. If team has a foul to give it would be insane imo to not foul. (Provided of course yes, do it when player is not in act of shooting.) A way to do this is right as a player is about to catch the inbounds pass. Or if guy who caught inbounds pass in turn passes, defense needs to foul the recipient as he is catching the ball. Agree do not let it be in the act of shooting. Double, triple, quadruple so if playing 2015-19 WarriorRef.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Spurs should just keep doing what they're doing and let the other team tie it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m 10000% sure they were instructed to foul. I saw Becky say it clear as day to Pop
    Sarcasm or you saw it for rizzle?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarcasm or you saw it for rizzle?
    For real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't foul when up by three...except if it's to give Dirk an AND 1 in the closing moments of a Game 7.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most statistical studies show that that there is a very slight (less than a percent) advantage to not fouling in those situations.
    Fouling teams win about 93% of the time and defending teams a few tenths more often. I really doesn’t matter which you choose.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well Pop didn't do it back in the prehistoric days when it was easy, and the results overwhelmingly said he should. What does that tell you?

BTW - I wonder if Pop is telling LMA to intentionally commit offensive fouls in the last minute of close games, because he sure as has that move down pat. He did it again tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most statistical studies show that that there is a very slight (less than a percent) advantage to not fouling in those situations.
    Fouling teams win about 93% of the time and defending teams a few tenths more often. I really doesn’t matter which you choose.
    What is a fact is a defender should not leave his man outside the arc to guard a player inside the arc (2 pter). Saw Aldridge do that yesterday. Sure enough, Phoenix kicked it back out to the man Aldridge left and he sank the tying trey.

It's soo basic and yet here we are still seeing NBA players -vets at that- and *Hall of Fame* coaches performing this nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if Becky and Pop agree on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Flopovich lost us that series with his hack-a-Jordan bull

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is a fact is a defender should not leave his man outside the arc to guard a player inside the arc (2 pter). Saw Aldridge do that yesterday. Sure enough, Phoenix kicked it back out to the man Aldridge left and he sank the tying trey.

It's soo basic and yet here we are still seeing NBA players -vets at that- and *Hall of Fame* coaches performing this nonsense.
    That was bad. And he is supposed to know better as a veteran. It looked like they were instructed to ignore two-point threats because Rubio was allowed a free path to the basket, but LA blew the coverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no... we see guys like paul always trying to pretend they were in the act of shooting from halfcourt or something and never get that call

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no... we see guys like paul always trying to pretend they were in the act of shooting from halfcourt or something and never get that call
    Plus the NBA 3 point line was initiated in 1979. It did not take NBA teams 30 years to 2010 adopt an end of game strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worked for the Rockets to perfection.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "In the first half, our shots went in. In the second half, theirs went in. Plus, they fouled with a 3 point lead, and got lucky that it worked out. It's really not that complicated.

Thread Information